Cavalry vs. Infantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavalry vs. Infantry

The events of Sunday morning's action brings to the front a glaring issue that needs to be addressed in an effort to further the authenticity of actions in the field.

The pistol charge made by the Federal cavalry upon the leading Confederate infantry ranks was done incorrectly. Instead of drawing revolvers, riding at the the flank of the infantry line and clearing to the front, a saber charge would have been more appropriate. The charge would have been made down the line of the infantry with the cavalry riding on both sides of the 2 ranks that were attacked hacking and slashing, scattering and running the troops off. The attacked elements would be forced to face attacks from both sides and the following elements unable to aide without firing into their comrades.

This was the classic cav vs infantry attack scenario from the manuals, but for many reasons was not conducted. The principle reason was the safety of everyone involved. The sight of a body of mounted men riding down on you would prompt someone to either fire or to run. Firing up and into the faces of the mounted men and/or running in front those same men and their horses hooves. Both of which are recipes for disaster.

So the question that looms is when presented with a scenario when cavlary has the opportunity to attack infantry, what would be the best way to carry off the attack that is both historically accurate and safe?

Dave Myrick

Re: Cavalry vs. Infantry

From my point of view at the rear of the confederate lines (as a casualty) I thought the Federal cavalry attack was exercised in the only way it could be (without prior knowledge for safety reasons). While sitting in the aide station with our Lt. Col. and some enlisted men one fellow from the 13th Al. commented that the Federal cavarly was just slaughtered. Both the Lt. Col. and I quickly spoke up with admiration for the attack and pointed out that in a real tactical situation that would have been the end of the 14th Tn. All that I can say is bully for the cavalry, it was nice to see things done right tactically, if not in the details of saber v. pistol. Long answer for: "I really don't know what the solution is", but just the fact that a tactically correct cav charge was made is a big step forward!

I am...
    Your Most Ob't. Serv't.,
    Andrew Dangel,

Comment

All are to be commended

The combined efforts of both gray and blue in the final engagement on Sunday AM should be commended. More realistic distances were maintained, proper casualties were generally taken, the OCs were able to establish and maintain order, all of which allowed the event to end on a great high. The tactics on the blue side were handled by Messers. Culberson and Murley in an approximation of the Revolutionary Battle of Cowpens. The cavalry were withheld until the optimum moment, then charged the Rebel forces, further delaying and discomfiting them. Whether they were assessed proper casualties for the charge is not presently known to me, but they were properly hors de combat afterwards, so casualties at that point for them were moot.

I can think of few events in recent memory I have attended where as much careful study has been put into the mechanics and execution. Bravo to the organizers for their open-minded approach to improving the Recon model, and to the folks on both sides who are contributing views. It certainly has helped my understanding of what happened, and will allow, in my opinion, the chance for the CWLHI to make a good event even better next time.
      Bill Cross
      The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Re: Cavalry vs. Infantry

Originally posted by Adjutant
        From my point of view at the rear of the confederate lines (as a casualty) I thought the Federal cavalry attack was exercised in the only way it could be (without prior knowledge for safety reasons). While sitting in the aide station with our Lt. Col. and some enlisted men one fellow from the 13th Al. commented that the Federal cavarly was just slaughtered. Both the Lt. Col. and I quickly spoke up with admiration for the attack and pointed out that in a real tactical situation that would have been the end of the 14th Tn. All that I can say is bully for the cavalry, it was nice to see things done right tactically, if not in the details of saber v. pistol. Long answer for: "I really don't know what the solution is", but just the fact that a tactically correct cav charge was made is a big step forward!
        In the 1/2 hour or so we waited for our cue to attack, I pondered the best way to go about it. As said, the real combat version would have had us cutting down the length of the CS line with the sword. We had complete surprise and a perfect flanking position. We were also very close which reduced the infantry's time to react even more.

But this was not real combat (thank goodness) and I had to consider how to conduct the attack in a way that would be effective in the eyes of the OCs and the participants AND above all, saw to the safety of all involved.

Sabres were not the weapon of choice in this case. We could not pass front and rear, or even very close safely without preplanning, and waving sabres at a "safe distance" would most likely be seen as ineffective in the eyes of the OCs and especially the CS infantry - ie: I doubted any casualties would have been assigned to anyone but us and the charge, as pretty as it might have been, would have been wasted.

As a result, I ordered pistols. This allowed us to pass the CS front at a safe distance, but make the noise that would accentuate the attack and give it the illusion of some effect. (In that "real combat" situation, pistols would have been not much more than noise-makers and the charge would have had little physical effect.) The men were reminded to keep thier muzzles high and not pass too close or enter the CS formations.

I think the charge was dealt with very well by all involved, especially the recipients and the OCs. It was as effective as it could have been without preplanning with the OCs. More-over - it was safely executed, and that's what matters.
        Gerald Todd
        1st Maine Cavalry
        Eos stupra si jocum nesciunt accipere.

Comment

Working...
        X