Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Civilians

Comrades,

Will there be an authentic civilian contingent at Mansfield/PH? I have a friend who is interested in attended and doing a quality refugee impression, but I haven't followed developments in the non-military arena, so don't know the scoop re. civilian stuff for the event. It would seem to me that refugee scenarios would be appropriate to the campaign. (Viki Betts' article linked on this site is superb!)

Any authentic civilian event information or points of contact would be appreciated. I'll also post an inquiry on the civilian board.
    Thanks!

Chad Teasley
    Co. B, 15th Texas Infantry
    Chaps
    Last edited by Chad Teasley; 03-01-2004, 01:55 PM.
    Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
    Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Re: Authentic Civilians

Chad,
    I know on behalf of the "Waco Ladies Relief Society" my wife will be there delievering socks to the men before the battle, besides that I don't know.
    I know after the battle the men of the 15th Maine Infantry were retreating. They passed a small farm where they spotted a woman rolling a barrel from a shed to her home. Seeing the heavy barrel and the small woman they stopped on the march to offer her help. The lady said the barrel contained sorgum and it was the only food left for herself and her starving children. She refused the mens offer of help.
    However despite her protests several men came into her yard to help her anyways. As the men were rolling the barrel towards the house they discovered the barrel did not contain sorgum but in fact whiskey.
    Soon after the fact was discovered the provost was called to assist the reg't down the road, the barrel was empty and now in fact the woman was without food.
    These Maine Men were all mostly from central and northern counties and Im sure were quite adapt at draining the barrel. After all Maine was a dry state before the war.
    Dusty Lind
    Running Discharge Mess
    Texas Rifles
    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Re: Authentic Civilians

Thanks Dusty. I am greatly looking forward to wearing a pair of Mrs. Lind's socks on the preservation march! See ya at Mansfield.
      Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
      Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Working...
      X