Preservation Raffle deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservation Raffle deadline

Folks just a reminder that I will need to shut off Mansfield paypal raffle ticket donations on Monday 3/29 due to my departure from home for the event on Tuesday, March 30. Mail deadline was postmark NLT Monday Mar 22. If you do not have paypal but want to buy tickets either call me at 208 859-1569 or have a friend attending the event find me to buy tickets. I will have a few with me and there will be others available at Adam Cecil's sutler tent.

for paypal donations go to www.cwchaps.com and click on the preservation tab then click on Mansfield before scrolling down to the donation button. Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20.

We hit $2400 late today in the one raffle and $450 in the quilt raffle. Another $4000 + has been raised by marchers and an as yet uncounted amount from vendor donations and other activities. Don't miss out!!! The prize list includes items made by the best in the hobby, from caps to shoes. 21 chances to win - see the list on the Mansfield preservation page at www.cwchaps.com

A special thanks to all the vendors who have donated time and money to make this happen - that is leadership at it's finest.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Preservation Raffle deadline

The raffles passed their online and by mail deadlines over the $3000 mark and we thank everyone who so generously donated to the cause. We will have more tickets at the bottom of our haversacks and with Adam Cecil at the event. Mike's gorgeous quilt will be hanging at Adam's tent as well for viewing.

On Sunday we will pick the winners and then the real fun begins for me - I will notify all 21 winners in order from 1-21. #1 gets first choice and picks their prize and then the next winner picks and so on. in orther words, this could take awhile. Please study the list at www.cwchaps.com on the Mansfield preservation page ahead of time.

All tickets have the person's name on the back. We will pick an additional few back up tickets in case we cannot reach someone in a reasonable amount of time but will post on all the foums and use phone and e-mail so I don't anticipate any problems. Two big checks to CWPT are waiting for handover - thanks to you folks.

Stop the cranes, re-claim the hallowed ground, Save Mansfield.
    Last edited by DougCooper; 03-31-2004, 11:04 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: Preservation Raffle deadline

Mr. Cooper,

I visited the CHAPs website to view the possible fruits of a raffle victory and noticed an inaccuracy in your description of the march of the 15th Texas from Mansfield to Pleasant Hill. This march did not occur “overnight” the evening of the 8th, but took place the following morning, on April 9. From Gen. Taylor’s memoir “Destruction and Reconstruction: Personal Experiences of the Late War”, pp.164-165, (and available online at http://docsouth.unc.edu/taylor/taylor.html ):

Night put an end to the struggle along the little stream, and my troops camped by the water.

A dispatch was sent to General Kirby Smith, at Shreveport, to inform him of the result of the day's fighting, and of my intention to push the enemy on the following morning. Leaving instructions for Green, with all the mounted force, to pursue at dawn, I rode to Mansfield to look after our wounded and meet Churchill. The precautions taken had preserved order in the village throughout the day. Hospitals had been prepared, the wounded brought in and cared for, prisoners and captured property disposed of. Churchill came and reported his command in camp, four miles from Mansfield, on the Keachi road; and he was directed to prepare two days' rations, and march toward Pleasant Hill at 3 A. M.

Sitting by my camp fire to await the movement of Churchill's column, I was saddened by recollection of the many dead, and the pleasure of victory was turned to grief as I counted the fearful cost at which it had been won. Of the Louisianans fallen, most were acquaintances, many had been neighbors and friends; and they were gone. Above all, the death of gallant Mouton affected me. He had joined me soon after I reached western Louisiana, and had ever proved faithful to duty. Modest, unselfish, and patriotic, he showed best in action, always leading his men. I thought of his wife and children, and of his father, Governor Mouton, whose noble character I have attempted to portray.

Churchill's march disturbed these solemn reveries, and I returned to the front, where Walker and Green were awaiting the approaching day. The horse, with a battery, moved early to Pleasant Hill, fourteen miles, leaving Walker and Polignac to follow Churchill's column as soon as it had passed. I rode with Green, and we found many stragglers, scattered arms, and burning wagons, showing the haste of the enemy's retreat. The mill stream, seven miles distant, was reached, then the vicinity of Pleasant Hill, before a shot was fired. A short mile in front of the latter place the enemy was found; and as our rapid advance had left the infantry far to the rear, feints were made to the right and left to develop his position and strength.

Looking forward to the weekend’s activities,

geoffrey lehmann
      geoffrey lehmann

Comment

Working...
      X