Anybody back yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What it all means

One photo says it all - the picture by Chris Ruffino just above of the battalion standing near the Allen House (period hospital just out of the picture) with the enemy in the background. The monsters were hard at work as we stood there and it was an appalling site, as the moonscape behind you shows. To the right of the photo beyond us (now moonscape) Americans slugged it out toe to toe to capture Chapman's Bayou, the only fresh water source. Chapman's Bayou has been eliminated to the east of LA 175. Soldiers were buried there...

The money is still coming in but this morning I turned over to Gary Joiner, head of the Friends of Mansfield, $9737.28 raised solely by marchers and support crew. A second group of marchers, the 19th LA infantry, have generated several hundred more putting the total well over $10,000. This means we will trigger nearly $20,000 more in matching grants and will buy more than half of the 60 acres we are trying to save via CWPT's appeal. In talking to CWPT this AM, we may have the other half covered via private donations or we are close.

Mike Phineas was right - I was pretty spent as we arrived at Pleasant Hill but perked up with Commander Frank Aufmuth's and organizer Danny McCoslin's heartfelt thank you speeches. Actually Danny just looked at us with a face I will never forget and said Thank You. Getting a chance to then go out on the field under that flag and face the stalwart yanks who showed up or galvanized as a big thank you for their service, was a perfect end to a great weekend. I learned allot about how adrenaline kicked in for soldiers...in fact I learned about soldiers - because I watched them come to life all weekend. We did not want it to end, except perhaps to tend to sore and blistered feet and other march induced ailments.

Impressions - we thought not only about the boys of 1864 but about the boys of RR1 and RR2, some of whom were among us.

Seeing Tom Yearby, 50ish, looking as spry at the end as he did at the beginning, remaining in first person all weekend.

Chad Teasley- volunteering so much for fatigue details we finally had to restrain him.

Don Smith, tearing up as he handed over his beautiful handsewn flag of the 15th TX to Commander Frank Aufmuth during the presentation of the colors...and then seeing the look on Frank's face as he handed it to Color Sgt Stephen Johnston

Patrick Reardon, 50ish Lazy Jack, UK Architect of great renown and the ONLY foreign member of the Museum of the Confederacy's Board of Trustees...straighten up and stand tall as he marched into the field at Pleasant Hill on a sprained ankle that resembled the Queen's Blue-Gray kersey in color. He had walked on it for 8 miles fueled no doubt by what Jeb Stuart's great great grand-son calls Patrick's "southern heart."

Adjutant Tom Wheeley, another Lazy Jack and the quintessential officer and gentleman, reading the resolutions and proclamations from the Government of Texas at Dress Parade.

Mike Phineas and comrade, running at full tilt away in the dark from a pile of abandoned federal rations and QM items we were only too happy to capture at the end of the first day.

Dusty Lind reading a letter from home in perfect first person.

A box from the patriotic ladies of McClennan County Texas full of homespun socks for their "heroic defenders in the field." Never seen men happier to get socks...except maybe when QM Lt Phil Graf and COS Sgt Gary White cracked the crate full of "Stockings, 100 PR. Monroe Depot"

Looking out over the moonlit field at neat rows of sleeping men, with pickets on watch in the background in their ghostly undyed cotton jean jackets and overshirts...and knowing Don Smith was right when he said there had never been a better impression of the TMD CS soldier in 1864.

Watching Frank Marek carry his brother off the field at Pleasant Hill (after the march).

Watching Richard Hale and Dave Turpin, Lazy Jacks and real soldiers of the Queen, naturally pick up the RA "SLR" carry with their Enfields and whistle period marching tunes as we tramped along.

Sgt Major "OX" Johnson bellowing as only a Sgt Major would do to get this form or that detail or (fill in blank) to him "more quickly." Superb impression.

KC MacDonald standing over his volunteered ground sheet now full of just issued greasy salt pork (salt fat) with a "bet the soldiers just loved this" look on his face.

Commander Frank Aufmuth losing the mouthpiece of his bugle to the barely concealed delight of the men.

Forming square...and it really looked like one.

Kris Ruffino, civilian logistics savior (wagon driver, etc) calmly pulling at a tick lodged near her navel after the event. Steve Mitchell, soldier par excellence, promptly dubbed her "hardcore."

Shaking the hands of every one of the men of the color company at the end...and seeing the looks in their eyes.

My 1st Sgt Fred Baker, run the company as if he was born to.

There are many more but one really stands out....Danny McCoslin, bruised and battered with 13 staples in his head (ignored Doctor's orders) marching up ahead in his well used TMD Texas slouch hat, looking for all the world like a day laborer in second hand clothes out for a stroll...but with resolute purpose that inspired us all.

Thank you everyone. More coherent details to follow once I deal with the raffle.
    Last edited by DougCooper; 04-06-2004, 09:06 AM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: Anybody back yet?

Boys:

It was a great pleasure to serve with all of you who fell in with the 15th Texas at Mansfield. The preparation, organization and leadership was outstanding. Kudos to all those already mentioned who contributed so much.

I also found that the intensity level to be about right. The physical toll on all from the march, drilling, fighting, and all-night picket duty for both nights (thanks Co.'s A and C for letting Co. B, who raised the most money for the preservation effort, have the second night off!) was challenging and at times downright drudgery, but the great majority were able to gut it out.

The low point for me was the last third of the Saturday march. After drilling for several hours in the hot sun, fighting the battle, and marching 8.5 miles in heavy marching order at a brisk pace, I was pretty much running on fumes. I vividly remember Frank constantly falling back to the rear of the formation and then bounding back to the front while I could barely keep up! I mustn't have been the only one running out of gas seeing how at least a third of the unit was on the ground and asleep within 10 minutes of arriving at the bivouc site. Pretty much everyone was off in la-la land within an hour or so.

For sure it would have been awesome if we could have slept for 3-4 hours and then have marched the rest of the way to Pleasant Hill, but many of us wouldn't have made it. The march the following morning was almost as hard as the day before. Again the intensity was just right.

At the Pleasant Hill reenactment area I immediately noticed the stark contrast between the serious effort put into the impressions by the 15th Texas, and that of most of the other reeanactors. With the exception of some boys from Louisiana that I saw, the rest of the Confederates were pretty farby. Many of the Feds looked pretty good though. Speaking of the Louisianans, how 'bout them boys marching the full 16 miles to Pleasant Hill in one push! Sure, they didn't do it in heavy marching order and may not have drilled as much as we did before hand, but it still was quite an achievement.

Again, great event! I look forward to the next opportunity to serve with ya' all.

Mark Timms
      Ordinance Sgt., Co. B
      a.k.a. "Tim Marks" or "Branding Iron"

Comment

Mark Timms was the Ordnance Sgt for Co B and did a great job - with one hand wrapped in a bandage all weekend... Anybody who has ever seen what a red hot ramrod can do to the palm of your hand (grabbed the wrong one) will know why Mark will from now always be called "Branding Iron."
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

Comment

Doug,

Actually, those were my fellow Red Sock pards Trey Meador and Jeremy "Corn" LeCrone. I spoke with Trey on Sunday, and he said y'all barely bothered with them, heading straight for the stores.

As for the 19th LA... I was walking over to Phil Cavanaugh's sutler tent at the PH camp, making my way through that ocean of a farb's wet dream, and came across a company street of ground cloths and blankets. No tents, desks, recliners, stoves etc...

Though it has been said that if you campaign amongst farbs that does not make you a campaigner, I was still very impressed by the efforts of those boys. I spoke with their Orderly Sgt, who basically laughed and said none of his boys could afford tents. He also said not a one of them would've finished the march if they'd stopped for a few hours to rest.

Though a few of them had some horrible gear, I was still impressed with their attitude and effort.

Mike

Full name on all posts please - Mike Chapman
          Last edited by dusty27; 04-06-2004, 08:55 AM.
          Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          24th Missouri Infantry
          Independent Volunteer Battalion
          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Mike - all I know is the Red Sox run fast - we decided to let you go because we thought you had set the food boxes and pile of stuff on fire - and all we were thinking about was food at that point. I thought the 19th LA looked sharp (good AoT impression) - and as the ONLY other unit with a preservation orientation, it was great to see their effort.

We never did plan on marching through the night or even after a few hours rest because we had to capture those rations, though nobody knew about that except the staff. Also marching in the dark meant marching on pavement - too dark to be down on the side of the road where we wanted to be. We had not had an organized meal since breakfast, and had a very strenous day to boot.

Our first day's march was tough, not because of the march per se but because of what came before. I share this because part of the planning of the staff was to create a realistic (difficult) schedule that kept the men in the dark about what was happening next. They must have succeeded from the talk of the men about food, feet, rest, shade, yankees etc. We did not need to force 1st person, it happened by itself.

Thursday and Friday night - 3-4 hours sleep in the cold.

Saturday:
            0530 First Call
            0630 Ration Issue and breakfast call
            0800 Company drill
            0915 Parade, Inspection and Presentation of the Colors
            1100 Battalion Drill
            1200 QM sock issue and mail call
            1300 Mansfield - about 2 miles of double quick and maneuvers around the Union flank
            1430 Rest and for me last minute raffle donation assault on assembled troops waiting for buses (one of the 25 winners came from this group).
            1530 Step off on a 8.5 mile march

The second day was relatively easy as all we had to do was march 7.5 miles and fight the Pleasant Hill battle. One problem was bad feet, much of which resulted from our first off road stretch the day before which turned out to be a swamp - had been dry as a bone 3 weeks before and no rain to speak of since. Gary Joiner and I poured over the latest satellite photos yesterday morning and he believes that the destruction of Chapman's Bayou has so altered the water table that we may have been stepping in mine outflow or rain runoff no longer allowed to drain. Thanks Dolet Hills.

A great event for a great cause - all of us, and expecially the 5 of us from the Pacific Northwest and the Lazy Jacks from the UK, formed a friendship born of shared goals and more than a little adversity. Beyond the largest ever donation from a preservation march, this sense of unit identity and the 100% effort from EVERYONE will be my best memory from Mansfield 2004.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

Comment

Gentlemen:

You have outdone yourself in the recent battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. As a spectator I can only say that I was totally awestruck. This is my first time at the reenactment having only found out recently that my Great Grandfather and His brother fought at this battle. I was impressed with the pyrotechnics and felt as though I was in the midst of a real artillery duel.

As a proud daughter of Texas and great grand-daughter of a brave man who fought for the 22nd TX Infantry I salute you and thank you sirs.

Patricia Manry
              Last edited by ; 04-06-2004, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Gentlemen,

My hats off to all of you. It was a long planning process with more than one stumble along the way. I wanted to say more to everyone as we reached Pleasant Hill but found myself feeling a little choked up. (The last time I felt that way was when I graduated boot camp in '97) Your efforts and time made this a great event for me, and something I will never forget. It was the efforts of Mr Yearby and Mr Reardon (both over 50) who both had twisted ankles, that made me realize the throbbing in my head wasn't that big of a deal. I know many of the men that made that march in '64 were hurt worse than I and that we could do it. We started with 74 men and finished with 68, I think that is something that is commendable in itself. The road was long and tiring but we did it together. I couldn't have asked for a better group of men to stand up for preservation and a cause.

With the amount of money raised I think that we have set the standard for others to follow. I think the small group we had (compaired to Eastern events) raising that much money really says something about where our hearts are. Doug I have said this many times but can not say it enough, we would not have surpassed our goals had it not been for you. I had hoped for $5,000 or $6,000 but $10,000 is remarkable!

I think that Gary did an excellant job with the commisary. Pickled Beef isn't that bad. I must say that one of the funniest moments of the entire weekend was hearing several people ask what to do with the whole corn they were issued. Phil did a likewise excellant job with the Quartermaster issue, I know it was hell keeping up with who got what blanket and how many pairs of socks each person had ordered. Our SgtMajor turned 21 on Friday and as we sat around the fire around mid-night we laughed that he never thought he's be able to stand this late on his 21 birthday. Adam you did a great job, I could have asked for more.

The teamsters. Dusty, Kris, Chris, and Jason. Without yall we would have had no water along the way or anything to do with the injured but leave them on the side of the road. Jason your EMT experience helped a lot of people to finish.

I also want to commend the Ambulance Corps who earned their badges by shuttling the wounded off the field and by carrying the strechers with us on the march. It looked great.

Everyone followed the guidelines and showed up ready to march and fight I couldn't have asked for more or be more proud. This is something that I will truely keep close to my heart for the rest of my days. One day when we take my grandchildren to Mansfield to see the battlefield that their ancestors fought on we can say, "See this land? I helped to save it."
                Last edited by PigPen; 04-06-2004, 07:57 PM. Reason: addition
                Danny *PigPen* McCoslin
                Speight's 15th Tx Co A
                Texas Ground Hornets
                "Touch me and I'll Sting"

Comment

First off, I want to thank those of you who posted favorable comments about my unit, the 19th Louisiana, Company A. Although we still have a ways to go in the authenticity department, we are striving for a better impression. We are probably the only campaigning infantry company in the state, but since last fall, we have implemented stricter standards along with a time frame for our members to meet those standards. Otherwise, we are just mainstreamers sleeping on the ground.

We chose to march the entire distance because we wanted our members to have more time to rest before the battle on Sunday. I've got to tell you, it was a real thrill to be able to participate in such a worthy cause. We started with 26 and finished with 23, quite an accomplishment for sedentary Americans in this day and age. Although not all of us were in heavy marching order, many carried bedrolls or knapsacks. We marched 50 minutes and rested ten, and averaged 2 miles per hour. I am very proud of the men who made the march, both those in the 19th and those of you who portrayed the 15th Texas. It was a real thrill to see the men of the 15th on the field Sunday (Mr. Aufmuth, I was the lieutenant who asked if I could do anything for you while you were laying on the ground). And Danny, you are the man! Talk about picking yourself up by the bootstraps! I just wish that I had had more time to shake the hands of the men in the 15th Texas. They set an example that we all should follow.

Melvin S. Faris
                  2LT, 19th Louisiana, Co. A
                  The Vance Guards
                  [I]Melvin Scott Faris[/I]

Comment

Melvin,

You Lousiana boys did one hell of a job and you should all be proud. Even if all yours boys did not carry all there gear, y'all did some thing that has not been done in 140 years that I know of. Hard core re-enacting is much more than uniforms and gear. Y'all have the right attitudes and mindset and in my book, y'all are as hard core as it gets.

I was way to foot sore to make it to your camp to see how y'all did after we arrived in PH on Sunday but I wish I could have. I would have liked to shake your hand again. (I met you on the bus going back to PH Friday Night). Well any way good job and keep going in the right direction and improving.

Who's up for RR3? Danny, Doug?
                    Stephen Johns

Save Mansfield

Comment

Texas is proud

Good work comrades!

John Pillers
                      Skulkers
                      John Pillers
                      Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

A veiw from the top

This was an awsome event. So much seemed to be at work against us but in the end everything fell together almost as if the planets were aligned.
                        I never see Dom or Pat post anything about events after the fact so I hope I am not jinxing anything or falling into a 10,000 year old curse.

The 15th had the best battalion staff I have ever seen. Danny McCoslin was the rank of captain but filled the same capacity as a Lt. Col. This event was his brain child. He didn't think he would have time to command but he was so active that had the job come to him there is no doubt in my mind that he could have filled it as an efficient and effective battalion commander. He is a man of vision and out of such men come ideas for events such as the one we just experienced. It is little wonder that the event turned out as well as it did as his vision and hard work were clearly evident. He was an incredible inspiration to the men even marching days after a car wreck with 13 staples in his head and a bruised up leg.

Our British adjutant, Tom Wheeley, had his accent and this way of barking out orders that gave everything he said an air of military precision that would simply be impossible had we have chosen anyone else. He had this way of barking out for the Sgt. Major Friday night that made us all laugh but deep down made me glad I was not the Sgt. Major. He was as good natured as he was professional and well read about his position and it was good to have such a man on our staff. Actually it was quite entertaining listening to Danny try to teach the young man how to speak "Texan". In fact he did seceed in getting Tom to say Lieutenant instead of "leftenant" by the end of the weekend. He traveled so far to be with us and we owe so much to him for making the trip yet he added so much to the climate that he seemed like the gift that kept giving being that he was a very talented officer.

Our Sgt. Major Adam Johnson was perhaps the second busiest man at the event (second only to Danny) going after this report or the other and taking care to make sure the picketts were properly instructed and that the Sgts were doing their jobs. Any time I called on him I could rest assured that any task he was called to do would be accomplished.

We also had Gary White who took care of the commissary with great execution. He was a man who actually looked and acted like a commissary Sgt. However I was disappointed that we had to miss his minstrel show and I hope for another opportunity to see it carried out.

Phil Graf our Quartermaster also saw that no man was left behind on the march. He was as patient as he was gentlmanly and served very effectively at his post as our "rear guard"

Our Aide de Camp, Don Smith was essential in running errands and simply entertaining just to be in camp with. He was our line of communication between us and the park. He is a very knowlegeable man with a wide background who had tea with the Adjutant and taught the major how to drink it properly.

Dusty Lind and Jason Reasor the EMT both serving as medics, "wagon drivers" and such going through the ranks to make sure every man was well and in good shape. I can't recall the number of times I saw both men going through the ranks or standing on the side of the road with full canteens offering water.

There are so many people that deserve recognition for the successful outcome of what was put together but it could very easily go through pages.
                        I hope I am not forgetting anyone on the staff. Each of these me knew their jobs and did them well.

A most sincere thanks rightly goes to the Officers and Men who portrayed the 15th Texas. This event would not have been what it was without them. their contributions were as wide as their diversity - coming from all walks of life from across the nation as well as across the globe.
                        I thank them all for being so tolerant and good natured with me. After doing the things that made this event as strenuous as it was - they endured the parade, inspections, presentations, battalion drill, and battle without complaint knowing we had a difficult march ahead. As a battalion they single handedly flanked an artillery battery and chased the federals off the field at Mansfield all at the double quick. I had to call what must have seemed inopportune halts to avoid recieving vollies on our left flank from some of the other confederate battalions. As necessary as they were I am sorry that men such as these were subjected to such trials before the march. I believe we had the longest sucessful preservation march and I believe they raised the most money. Being a Missourian I can bestow no higher honor than to say they would have lived up to the legacy of the 1st Missouri Infantry CSA (Considered best drilled and disciplined of all regiments North or South according to Ed Bearss)

Some things I will never forget:

Our field desk made from Ammunition boxes which formed the writing surface and book shelves.

Sitting with the Staff Friday night and observing a camp full of orderly men in the company streets.

The first person that was maintained.

Danny and others teaching a few of the Brits how to fish with a ram rod.

Some of the cheers when I reached for my bugle to blow halt but found the mouthpiece was gone.

The powerful experience of being handed the Regimental Colors and trying hard not to tear up as I in turn handed them to the Color Sgt.

Forming columns against cavlary (into square) during the battalion drill and watching it work effectively the first time. (We would have been a formidable presence for the Critters)

Did I mention Flanking the artillery and chasing the federals off the field?

The elation of arriving at the 8.1 mile mark of Saturday nights bivouac after an exhausting march and looking back to the rear and seeing all was still intact

Seeing the difference sleep can make on the moral of the men.

The cheers of the men as we turned down a gravel road on Sunday

The singing and whistling during the march from somewhere in the column (God bless them).

The secure feeling knowing we had Sgt. Frank Marek leading the battalion with a good steady pace.

The unsurmountable feeling of pride as the battalion behind me cracked to attention and to the step, as we marched into Pleasant Hill. To the cheers and handshakes of just about everyone that was there.
                        (Dang near had to hand command of the battalion to Captain Danny McCoslin)

The regret of knowing that in two seconds when the battalion is dismissed that it will be a long time before collection of such men will be assembled again.

To officers and men alike thank you all for the experience. It was all of you that made this event what it was.
                        Sincerly,

Major Daniel
                        Commanding 15th Texas
                        (A.K.A. Frank Aufmuth)
                        Last edited by Campjacksonboy; 04-06-2004, 08:31 PM.
                        Frank Aufmuth
                        When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Re: A veiw from the top

All

Well I finally have some time to throw in my thoughts about the event. All I can say is WOW!!! I must echo the comments of Danny and Frank in saying at the end of the march, coming into Pleasant Hill and having spectators, and fellow reenactors cheering for us got me choked up just a little bit. I will cherish every experience that I gained from my part in this grand undertaking. Frank's leadership was invaluable and well carried out. Danny if it were a lesser man they would have given up on the event long ago after all of your hardships but you stayed the course and brought the event to fruition. All the Non-Coms of the three companies did a superb job, no matter what I asked for or when I asked for it this form or duty was done. They all did their jobs to the letter that made all of the difference in making this event a success. I just hope that I was able to do my job to everyone's expectations and didn't screw up too much or too bad.

Patrick Reardon the first person exchanges along the march of you teaching a good many of us how to speak French were all very priceless and very enjoyable, and you impressed me so much doing most of the march with a sprained ankle that most people would have stopped a long time before the end. Tom Yearby who no matter what all was going on was always able to make some remark that would just liven up anyone that was around, and toughed out most of the march with a twisted ankle. And to all the Lazy Jacks you all made the event that much more enjoyable and memorable. I hope that one day I can come across the big pond and fall in with you guys. Tom Wheeley reading all the proclamations caused me to tear up, we could not have asked for a better adjutant. All in all this was a great event, and I am actually sorry that it is over I just look forward to the next time I can be with such a fine group of men again for such a worthy cause. My hat is off to all of you.

Adam "OX" Johnson
                          SGTMAJ 15th TX INF

Comment

Frank - about the next time, it may not be as long as you think - say the word and we will all line up for the TMD again...and even get you a new bugle mouthpiece :D

Good report!!
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

Comment

Gents,
                              I would only be repeating what everyone else has said if I were to name everything that I enjoyed about this march. The bottom line is that I was completely impressed. I have been the 1st Sgt. of the Texas Rifles for a little over two years now. Sometimes it is a challenge, sometimes not so much, but there were times during this event that I really got a feeling for being a senior NCO. And having just split from a mainstream unit, it was evident to all of the Rifles that we were in a very high quality group of campaigners.
                              Thanks Danny, for making this happen, and thank you to everyone who marched this past weekend and made it feel real.
                              Say the word, and we will answer the call again!
                              Frank J Marek
                              1st Sgt of Texas Rifles

Comment

Guess it is my turn...

Gentlemen

It was an experience that I will never forget! From top to bottom an excellent event.

It was an honor to carry the colours for the 15th and as everyone has said here, while I could hardly pick up my feet getting into PH, I was overcome with emotion.

To Danny, Doug, OX, Don, Phil, Gary, and all the others, thanks for your work, commitment and dedication.

I also have to say a special thanks to Ryan "Stick" Smith who put up with a great deal of lip from the rest of the Colour Company! Thanks Stick!

While my feet can still feel the pangs of the march, and my blisters are finally beginning to heal, it was one hell of an event.

Cheers to each of you and hope to see you out in the field soon.

Steve Johnston

Comment

Working...
                                X