Mansfield Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansfield Update

Folks below is the initial information I posted. As an update, details on the preservation raffle of Chris Daley's Tait uniform or Fed uniform (winner's choice) will be provided in Chris's January newsletter, on his website and on the event website. Looks like I will be the point of contact for purchase of tickets ($5) and will use paypal. Everything should be set up for that by January 1. Registration continues apace - updates will be provided on the event website and the A/C site using one of the boards available.

"Comrades, registration has begun well for this preservation event and march, sponsored by the 15th Texas Infantry Co A. We are an "event within an event", being part of the 140th Anniversary commemoration of the pivotal battles of the Red River Campaign in 1864 in Northwest Louisiana. Goals of our portion of the event are:

1. Authentically replicate the experience of the 15th TX Inf during April 7-9, 1864 at the Battles of Mansfield and Pleasant Hill.
    2. Duplicate the 15 mile overnight march of Mouton's Division from Mansfield to Pleasant Hill in battalion strength (125-150 men).
    3. Raise awareness locally and nationally of the wholesale destruction of the unprotected portions of the battlefield by the State of Louisiana and a Lignite Mining Co.
    4. Raise significant funds to support protecting what is left of the battlefield.
    5. Improve our skills as living historians
    6. Respectfully commemorate the sacrifice of those who struggled and died on both sides.

Major Frank Aufmuth is commanding the battalion and Adjutant Danny McCoslin is chief organizer. Details and registration information are provided on the website located at: http://www.geocities.com/texasgroun...O4/PHILL04.html
    Registration is first come first served - the first 125 men who pay their registration fee are in, with possible room for 25 more, logistics permitting.

Those participants who choose not to do the march portion will have important support roles. Standards are high and will be enforced. But a glance at the guidelines will show the varied nature of uniforms and equipment within the 15th Texas in Spring of 1864. This will allow a broad range of options for participants.

SPECIAL NOTE: Two very significant preservation fund raising efforts are planned, one for the hobby as a whole and one for participants.

Chris Daley has generously donated a CS Tait uniform (jacket and trousers) or a US Sack coat and trousers to the winner of a raffle. Tickets will be $5 and the winner chooses which custom made uniform desired. Plan to read about it on www.cjdaley.com and the event website when we work out the details.

The prize for fund raising by participants of the battalion will be a beautiful copy of an example of the regimental flag flown by the 15th Texas. The flag is being made by Don Smith of the Trans-Mississippi Depot Company and a ranger at Mansfield State Historic Site. The company that raises the most money prior to the event will have the honor of marching underneath it as color company. The individual participant that raises the most money will receive the flag at a ceremony at the close of the event.

We are planning several authentic sutler deals for preservation as well and a number of authentic details and vignettes during the event to enhance the experience. Details will follow on the website.

Mansfield is being destroyed before our eyes. CWPT has placed the battlefield on it's ten most threatened list. Lets do something about it.

Doug Cooper
    Capt Commanding Co B, 15th Texas Infantry
    Mansfield, 2004
    Last edited by dusty27; 01-01-2004, 04:42 PM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Mansfield update

Doug,
    I would like to donate a number of cedar Gardner canteens to Mansfield Preservation. If you would send e-mail, I would like to discuss proper way to accomplish this.

Sam Doolin
    The Old Rebel Workshop
    oldrebshop@AOL.com
    Last edited by dusty27; 01-01-2004, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Re: Mansfield Preservation Update

Latest on the vendor support for Mansfield preservation.

1. Chris Daley's raffle donation of a Tait jacket and trousers or federal sack coat and trousers (winners choice). All proceeds to Mansfield. Raffle to be handled by me via mail and paypal. Value - $410

2. Sam Doolin donation of 5 Gardner Canteens, one to be the second prize in the CJ Daley raffle and the others sold and all proceeds going to Mansfield. Details upcoming on the event website and CJ Daley website. $400 to preservation.

3. Mike Anderson raffle of a homespun authentic quilt (I have seen photos of the original, this will be a beautiful period rendition). Details upcoming on the skilletlicker. All proceeds to Mansfield. Raffle to be handled by Mike with assist from Joe Hoffman. Value - $300 (at least).

4. Adam Cecil (The Quartermaster Stores) run of blue-gray English import blankets WITHOUT the NC by Waterside Woolens. $5-$10 per blanket (depending on number sold) donation to go to Mansfield. Blankets to be issued in the field at Mansfield or mailed to non-participants. Details upcoming on the QM Stores site and event website. $100-200 for preservation.

5. Ethan Rogers run of 5 Isaac & Campbell and 5 Mex War knapsacks with $10 each donation to Mansfield. Details upcoming on Ethan's website and the event website. $100 to preservation

6. Details are being worked out for homespun wool and cotton sock issues and possible federal blankets (issued from a captured wagon for participants) as well.

I would like to publicly thank the above gentlemen for their generous support for the critical situation at Mansfield. I cannot remember such overwhelming support for so worthy of a cause.

It is up to us to be worthy of their generosity and craftsmanship in the name of preservation. Get ready to step up comrades - tell your friends and family they can make amends for that sweater or tie by getting you what you really wanted for Christmas.

I posted this to give everyone a chance to prepare prior to each offer going "live." Raffle tickets of course are unlimited, but goods will be on a first come, first served basis. We hope to generate a significant amount of money via the hobby as a whole and the public as well in the case of the raffles.

Thanks,
      Last edited by DougCooper; 01-03-2004, 02:41 AM.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

Comment

The Mother of all Raffles

This is getting crazy...and great. We have decided to combine offerings from several vendors into one and have a second raffle for the Mike Anderson quilt.

Raffle #1 will feature the following prizes and all will be equal, i.e., the winner picks his choice of prize, the next winner his and so on until all prizes are awarded:

1. Chris Daley (www.cjdaley.com) Tait jacket and trousers or federal sack coat and trousers (winners choice).

2. Four Sam Doolin Gardner Pattern cedar wood canteens.

3. A pair of Mattimore Harness shoes (http://www.civilwarboots.com/) - winner chooses any style Tom makes.

4. Cary Davisson (Orchard Hill - http://www.orchardhillsutlery.com/) CS unmarked 58 cal cartridge box with single tin and period dyed w/ lead finial and a Hughes, Pendergrass & Snow box sling...or a .69 cal box based on the Wymans & the McKensie copy of the US 1839 pattern (winner's choice).

7 chances to win big!

Chris Daley will have a paypal button in his newletter (and on the website to buy tickets. Paypal e-mail is: coop2911@msn.com. To purchase by mail, send your checks to:

Mansfield Preservation Raffle
        C/O Doug Cooper
        2162 N Sevenoaks Way
        Eagle, ID 83616

Make checks or money orders payable to Doug Cooper with "Mansfield Raffle" in the memo line. Tickets are $5 each or 5 for $20. Please buy early and often.

Raffle #2 will feature Mike Anderson's copy of a documented CW period quilt (see more info under Joe Hoffman's vendor announcement).

Sutler deals for preservation:

1. Adam Cecil (http://members.aol.com/theqmstores/newitems.htm) has contracted with Waterside Woolens for a run of the British Import blanket commonly known as the NC blanket (MOC and 3 in private collections). This offerring will NOT have the NC sewn in. Price will $115 with $5-$10 per blanket (depending on number sold) donation to go to Mansfield. Blankets to be issued in the field at Mansfield or mailed to non-participants. Details upcoming on the QM Stores site and event website.

2. Ethan Rogers (http://erogers_tarredgoods.tripod.co...rstarredgoods/)is doing a special run of 5 Isaac & Campbell and 5 Mex War knapsacks with $10 each donation to Mansfield. Details upcoming on Ethan's website and the event website.

3. We are also looking at homespun socks, federal issue blankets by Matt Woodburn and Houston Depot caps. Details as they become available.

Thanks again folks - raffle #1 (Daley/Doolin/Mattimore/Davisson) is now live for mailings and paypal. I will track names and respond via e-mail with numbers. Winners to be picked at the event April 4, 2004 on the threatened field.
        Last edited by DougCooper; 01-06-2004, 02:50 AM.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

Comment

Re: The Mother of all Raffles

Originally posted by DougCooper
          Chris Daley will have a paypal button in his newletter (and on the website to buy tickets. Paypal e-mail is: coop2911@msn.com. To purchase by mail, send your checks to:
          For those of you who don't subscribe to my newsletter. All the information on the raffle including a paypal donation button can be found here:
          http://www.cjdaley.com/preservationnews.htm
          [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Raffle is live

Thanks Chris! And thanks to the first three paypal raffle ticket buyers:

Robert Westbrook
            Matt Ryan
            Barry Dusel

Lets fill up the hat comrades!
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

Comment

Re: Raffle is live

We have been up for about 20 hours and currently have $175 in donations from 10 folks, including an amazing $100 from a donor whose name I will release with his permission later.

break-even (value of the goods) is about $1050. For those concerned about the small paypal fee detracting a little from each donation - I will cover that with my own funds as part of my donation to the cause. Make me pay comrades!

Please pass the word - several organizations have contacted me about unit donations. The money will go to Friends of Mansfield, the grass roots organization that is working hard to raise awareness in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and nationally. Initiatives are ongoing on the legal, environmental, PR and political fronts and they are making good progress. They just purchased a 60 cm resolution satellite overhead map of the disaster that can be used to really get the attention of organizations, politicians and public figures. The goal is hold the line on the mining company and eventually stop the mining and/or buy more land to protect the part that is not yet a moonscape. Please visit www.mansfieldbattlefield.org and CWPT for more info. I will get a weekly update from Gary Joiner, leader of the Friends, and post here.

Thanks to all who have donated time, craftsmanship and money and all who are working hard in support to pass the word.
              Last edited by DougCooper; 01-06-2004, 10:31 PM.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

Comment

Working...
              X