Mansfield Preservation Raffle Progress and update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mansfield Preservation Raffle Progress and update

36 hours in and we have $250 via Paypal (address for paypal ticket payments is coop2911@msn.com)

preservation notes, raffle details and paypal buttons are located at: http://www.cjdaley.com/preservationnews.htm and http://www.cjdaley.com/Jan04.htm

we will be adding a button on the event website tonight

We have had a number of multiple ticket buys including $100 from Layton Pennington and $50 from Eric Fair.

$5 per and 5 for $20. Not bad for a chance to take your pick of over $1100 of authentic uniforms and equipment. 8 chances to win!

see also the authentic homespun quilt raffle by Mike Anderson at www.skilletlicker.com

NOTE: Greg Starbuck, the outstanding cap maker, has entered the raffle with the winner receiving the choice of a federal forage cap or CS enlisted cap. Thanks Greg!!

and thanks comrades...
    Last edited by DougCooper; 01-08-2004, 12:25 AM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Mansfield Preservation Raffle Progress and update

Day 2 ended with $275 in the pot. Remember that Greg Starbuck is now in the raffle with a fed forage cap or CS enlisted cap, winner's choice.

Adam Cecil has the British import blanket special up on his site at www.members.aol.com/theqmstores/newitems.htm

Ethan Rogers will get a special page up for the British and Mex War knapsacks this weekend

Contributors so far (all paypal, first mail-ins should arrive this weekend):

Rob Westbrook
    Matt Ryan
    Barry Dusel
    George Reagan
    Tom Duncan
    Layton Pennington
    Bill Treadway
    Steve Sullivan
    John Palmer
    Eric Fair
    Joe Madden
    Ryan Weddle
    David Turpin
    Patrick Heelen

thanks comrades for your donations and leadership...
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

Comment

Day 3 ends at $280, all via Paypal. Thanks!!
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

Comment

Raffle Particulars and fiduciary responsibility

Folks, a comment over on the Szabo forum motivated me to explain why we are doing it this way (with a little history). I am posting this in case there is someone out there hesitating to donate for fear their money will go into a black hole or that I plan to head to Cancun while everyone else is humping down the road between Mansfield and Pleasant Hill.

Originally the plan was to have the Friends of Mansfield or CWPT set up a stand alone account for the money. That did not work because of obscure gambling laws in LA and lack of manpower to support at CWPT (understandable).

Next idea was to use an account under 15th TX, since they are the sponsors, but they do not have one. We in the CHAPs out here are not yet incorporated nor 501 (c) (3) but that is our plan, especially after seeing there is a need like this.

So left without an option, no other volunteers and running out of time, I opted to take it on myself, coordinate with the vendors and get things going.

I have set up an activity specific stand alone savings account at the Idaho Central Credit Union in Boise, Idaho, with auto deposit from the paypal account everyone is using to buy their tickets. The e-mail address for donations (coop2911@msn.com) is only used for this raffle, not for any other paypal activity. At the end of each day I transfer the donations to the savings account (earns a little interest) and print out the details on each donation including name, address, e-mail, total donation and number of tickets purchased.

Mail-in raffle ticket purchases will be deposited directly into the savings account and information saved in both an electronic and paper file.

Plan is to put all names on tickets (many of you have multiple tickets) and they will travel with me to the event where we will put them all in the biggest hat we can find and draw at the end of the event.

Since I do not think it right for me to purchase tickets, my donation will be my time running the raffle and coverage of the paypal fees which are 2.9% + 30 cents per order. That means a single $5 donation nets $4.41. I am covering the difference and the small amount earned by the savings account will add a little too.

I am a financial consultant with the world's largest financial services firm so am used to handling money, managing endowments, etc. I would get fired in a second for one mistake, so attention to detail is a strong suit. Because of the rules, I could not set up a buisness account for this without jumping through "outside business interest" hoops.

Not sure I needed to explain all this but if one person out there is concerned, that is one too many.

Thanks for your time and remember you do not have to be present to win. Thanks to Mark Susnis, Robert Backus and Eugene Lesewski for donations overnight and this AM!
        Last edited by DougCooper; 01-10-2004, 12:50 PM.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

Comment

Hey gang - cruised through $430 today with help from Jim Mayo, Dave Turpin from England (2nd donation), Steve Johns, Frank Aufmuth, Rob Gunter and Rich Taddeo. Received the first of hopefully many mail-in ticket purchases yesterday and today.

Remember that there are also some vendors who are donating a portion of purchases to the cause - Adam Cecil at www.members.aol/theqmstores/newitems.htm with their British Import blanket from Kaegy-Noble, Ethan Rogers http://erogers_tarredgoods.tripod.com for Mex War and British knapsacks and Cary Davisson via Orchard Hill for Mansfield specific cartridge boxes such as: Houston Depot box dated 1863 (there are two originals, 1863 and 1864 dated), unmarked 58 cal CS box and unmarked US 58 cal box. See it over at www.orchardhillsutlery.com.

thanks again comrades - my personal goal for this effort is to raise $200 a week until the event and then launch a final effort at the event from spectators and participants. Want to get to at least $2200, twice the value of the great stuff being offered. This money is in addition to that being raised by the participants themselves.

Thanks to Dusty and Eric Tipton for their help in fund raising techniques and such.
          Last edited by DougCooper; 01-14-2004, 12:10 AM.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

Comment

Over $550 now thanks to Messrs Teasley, Behana, Black, Gulley, Yearby and Graf.

3 orders so far for the British import blanket from Adam Cecil at QM Stores and several Houston Depot Boxes from Cary Davisson at Orchard Hill.

Dan Houde is going to donate the proceeds from the sale of another of his very popular St Louis variant Cincinnati Depot federal canteens - see his website at www.orchardhillsutlery.com and look under announcements for this type canteen...used in the TMD.

Thanks so much Dan and all you guys who are doing so much to help.

One of the off shoots of this effort has been the new research and appreciation for the Trans-Mississippi theatre. Nice to see.

Lisa Pace is making an example of the type of CS issue overshirt seen in the TMD from Ben Tart's undyed cotton jean fabric. If interested give her an electronic buzz at GPace16844@aol.com.
            Last edited by DougCooper; 01-16-2004, 07:08 PM. Reason: new information
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

Comment

Additions to the Mansfield Raffle

The latest from Dan Houde at Orchard Hill (special section on his website) and Karin Timour:

From Dan: "Mansfield Preservation Effort

We are happy to be supporting the Mansfield Preservation Event by the donation of several high quality items for the Mansfield Preservation Event Raffle.

In conjunction with Cary Davisson we are donating the winners choice of either a CS unmarked 58 cal. cartridge box with single tin, period dyed with lead finial and a “Hughes, Pendergrass & Snow” box sling...or a .69 cal. box based on the Wymans & McKensie copy of the US 1839 pattern.

We are also donating one of our "St. Louis Variant" Cincinnati Depot M1858 Smoothside Canteens. Features a rolled tin spout, body of hot dipped tin, jute cord connecting the stopper, Cincinnati maker stamped cotton linen sling, and a brown jean cover from FHW.

In addition, we are also doing a special run of CS Cartridge Boxes by Cary Davisson especially for Mansfield. These boxes will be Houston Depot stamped, and will come complete with waist belt with roller buckle and tin for $160.00. We will donate $10.00 from each sold to Mansfield. If you are interested in ordering one of these special Houston Depot sets, please contact us."

From Karin: I applaud the efforts of the groups and individuals who are working to preserve the Mansfield battleground. As my contribution to this effort, please accept my contribution of the following gift certificates to your raffle.

Winners may have their item made for themselves or as a gift for someone else. Items can be produced for the reenacting season in Fall 2004. Once I've received word of the names and contact information for the winners, I will send them information about my list of possible styles, a measurement sheet and list of yarn colors. We can also set a delivery date at that point for the finished goods.

2 camp hats
              1 balaclava
              1 pair of socks
              2 pair of wristers

Thank you again for your hard work in helping to preserve this endangered battlefield,
              Karin Timour
              Email: Ktimour@aol.com

thanks Dan and Karin!!

If you are doing the math, that makes 15 chances to win excellent items
              from some of the very best makers in the hobby.

I am going to call uncle at this point and ask that any further donations be sold as per normal and proceeds or a portion thereof be donated. The value of the donated items is now over $1500.

Ethan Rogers has his Mansfield Preservation page up for the 5 Mex War and 5 British Issac and Campbell knapsacks for sale - $10 from each to preservation. Ethan has taken 2 orders already - thanks!
              Last edited by DougCooper; 01-20-2004, 01:06 AM.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

Comment

Another good day so we are now over $730, thanks to Mike Chapman, Dr Mary Nourse, Mike Heggen, Steve Johnston, Tom Hegdal, John "Tiny" Grimes, Dave Gager and Rob Carter. I am busy transferring names to tickets and will be sending everyone an e-mail with their ticket numbers later this week.

James Owens has added a federal Springfield rifle musket sling to the raffle - making that 16 chances to win. Thanks James!

Sure beats the lottery. Sure says something about the spirit and generosity of a lot of folks. Thanks again.
                Last edited by DougCooper; 01-21-2004, 08:39 PM.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

Comment

$885 and counting in the Mansfield Preservation Drawing

Another day of threads wiped out on the forum so here we go again...thanks to Glenn, Alpheus, Candace, Mark, Jeremy and Steve we hit $885 yesterday.

Remember you do NOT have to be present to win and you now have 17 chances. If yours is a winning ticket we will track you down!

$20 buys 5 tickets

Prizes:

1. US Sack Coat and Trousers or CS Tait jacket and trousers by Chris Daley
                  2. Any style shoe by Tom Mattimore
                  3. Four (4) CS Gardner pattern wooden canteens by Sam Doolin
                  4. CS 58 cal cartridge box with Hughes Prendergast and Snow box sling or CS 69 cal Wayne and McKensie copy of the 39 pattern box
                  5. US forage cap or CS enlisted kepi by Starbuck
                  6. St Louis Variant Cincinnati Depot smoothside canteen by Orchard Hill
                  7. US Springfield musket sling by James Owens
                  8. Two (2) camp hats, socks, balaklava, and two (2) pairs wristers by Karin Timour
                  9. Pair of socks by Dusty Lind (actually Mrs Lind)

Check out also the beautiful copy of an original CS homespun quilt by Mike Anderson - a separate raffle over on www.skilletlicker.com

See also great deals for preservation (portion of each sale to Mansfield):
                  1. British Import blankets by Waterside Woolens (Kaegy Noble) see example at - http://members.aol.com/theqmstores/newitems.htm
                  2. 5 Mex War and 5 Isaac & Campbell British knapsacks by Ethan Rogers - go to - http://erogers_tarredgoods.tripod.co...goods/id9.html
                  3. Various US and CS cartridge boxes and slings or belts by Cary Davisson at Orchard Hill - go to www.orchardhillsutlery.com

Thanks again - let's make it over $1000 this weekend!
                  Last edited by DougCooper; 01-24-2004, 02:22 PM.
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

Comment

Raffle Progress and update

Thanks to Dane Utter and Chad Teasely (2nd donation) we have cleared $900 and counting.

Of note: Dusty Chapman is keeping a back-up file in Virginia in case something happens to my computer or I get hit by a bus.

We still have room in the ranks boys. Two of the three companies are filling up fast but Co A still has room.
                    Last edited by DougCooper; 01-27-2004, 09:56 AM.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

Comment

Re: Raffle Progress and update

Originally posted by DougCooper
                      Thanks to Dane Utter and Chad Teasely (2nd donation) we have cleared $900 and counting.

Of note: Dusty Chapman is keeping a back-up file in Virginia in case something happens to my computer or I get hit by a bus.

We still have room in the ranks boys. Two of the three companies are filling up fast but Co A still has room.
                      Doug,

I would just like to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all of your very hard work. We could not be doing so well with out you. You are a blessing to this effort and this needed to be said.
                      Stephen Johns

Save Mansfield

Comment

$1035!!!!!

Thanks to Brian Hicks, John Dinkelaker, Gary White and Jeff Gribbs we have passed $1000 exactly 3 weeks in.

Yet to be counted is the Mike Anderson/Joe Hoffman quilt raffle and other fund raising efforts. Members of the 15th TX are raising money through simple appeals, selling of gear and even cigars and such and more Sutlers are chipping in and setting us up in fine style - latest is Pam Lind with a homespun sock issue for Co B - really excellent period socks with a portion going to Mansfield. Thanks Pam! (she is the way better half of the famous Dusty Lind).

It strikes me that this event will bring together some outstanding folks for whom dedication to something bigger than themselves and the hobby is inspiring. If we are to create in the minds of the public and preservation orgs that we can be preservationists, authentic living historians and patriots...and not the yahoos some might think, we will not only help save this battlefield, but maybe start something that can grow to be an even more vital arm of CWPT and various grass roots organizations. I want them to come looking for our help...because who cares more than us?

Sorry - got a little soap boxy...but the synergy between vendors, marchers and supporters...and the hobby in general is something great to see.
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

Comment

Been a little quiet guys and gals - though Eric Mink, Chad Teasley (again) and Tom Yearby (again) have pushed us up to $1120. We need to reach about $1400 to equal the value of these outstanding offerings.

Bravo to the folks who are quietly raising some funds via sales of their own stuff and the like. Look for some E-bay auctions of things like Troiani prints and such soon.

Everyone has ticket numbers assigned and they all start with 864xxx. If anyone whom I don't have an e-mail for (mail in checks) wants their numbers please e-mail or PM here and I will provide same.

Keep em coming, 17 chances to win!

Of course we also need folks to join CWPT and Friends of Mansfield and donate that way. Can do easy on line at both websites.

One final thought folks...its now a poorly kept secret that bones and artifacts have been unearthed by those monsters. The mining company was trying to get permission to jump LA 175 and dig on the other side but have been temporarily forestalled (see the map thread above).

Write letters, join FOM and CWPT, do what you can - its something we can win.
                          Last edited by DougCooper; 02-03-2004, 11:25 PM.
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

Comment

I guess it is you i need to talk to about getting some tickets for the raffle it sounds great. how do i need to send the money is there a limit on the amount tickets i can get. i hope all works out grest.

Ben Jenkins
                            19th la infantry

Comment

Deleted:

Doesn't follow forum rules - Mike Chapman
                              Last edited by dusty27; 02-04-2004, 09:35 PM.
                              Colbi Rosenthal
                              Hogg Drivers

Just a sinner trying to change

Rosenthal/Ross 2018

Comment

Working...
                              X