Utterly Basic 5th Kentucky Vols Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utterly Basic 5th Kentucky Vols Info

Below is the 5th's summary of service and Hazen's OR on the Atlanta Campaign; his account of Pickett's Mill is in the middle of the report, for actions on May 27. I suspect the table with the brigade's casualties below that won't reproduce well on the forum, but we'll see.

- Kevin

Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 3 (Regimental Histories)
    KENTUCKY VOLUNTEERS.

5th REGIMENT INFANTRY.--("LOUISVILLE LEGION.")
    Organized at Camp Joe, Holt, Ky., September 9, 1861. Attached to Rousseau's 1st Brigade, McCook's Command, at Nolin to November, 1861. 4th Brigade, Army of Ohio, to December, 1861. 4th Brigade, 2nd Division, Army of Ohio, to September, 1862. 4th Brigade, 2nd Division, 1st Army Corps, Army of Ohio, to November, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, Right Wing 14th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to January, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 20th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 4th Army Corps, to July, 1864. Unattached, 4th Division, 20th Army Corps, to September, 1864.
    SERVICE.--Moved to Muldraugh's Hill, Ky., September 17, 1861, and duty there till October 14. Duty at Bacon Creek and Green River till February, 1862. March to Nashville, Tenn., February 17-March 3; thence march to Savannah, Tenn., March 16-April 6. Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6-7. Advance on and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30. Bridge Creek May 27. Duty at Corinth till June 10. Buell's Campaign in Northern Alabama and Middle Tennessee June to August. March to Louisville, Ky., in pursuit of Bragg August 21-September 26. Pursuit of Bragg into Kentucky October 1-15. Dog Walk, Ky., October 8-9. March to Nashville, Tenn., October 16-November 7, and duty there till December 26. Kimbrough's Mills December 6. Advance on Murfreesboro, Tenn., December 26-30. Nolensville December 26-27. Battle of Stone's River December 30-31, 1862, and January 1-3, 1863. At Murfreesboro till June. Middle Tennessee (or Tullahoma) Campaign June 22-July 7. Liberty Gap June 22-27. Occupation of Middle Tennessee till August 16. Passage of Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River and Chickamauga (Ga.) Campaign August 16-September 22. Battle of Chickamauga, Ga., September 19-20. Siege of Chattanooga September 24-November 23. Reopening Tennessee River October 26-29. Brown's Ferry October 27. Battles of Chattanooga November 23-25. · Orchard Knob November 23-24. Mission Ridge November 25. Pursuit to Graysville November 26-27. March to relief of Knoxville November 28-December 8. Campaign in East Tennessee December, 1863, to April, 1864. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to July 25. Demonstration on Rocky Faced Ridge and Dalton May 5-13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15. Adairsville May 17. Near Kingston May 18-19. Near Cassville May 19. Advance on Dallas May 22-25. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Pickett's Mills May 27. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Pine Hill June 11-14. Lost Mountain June 15-17. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Ruff's Station, Smyrna Camp Ground, July 4. Pace's Ferry July 5. Chattahoochie River July 6-17. Peach Tree Creek July 19-20.
    Siege of Atlanta July 22-25. Ordered to Nashville, Tenn., July 25; thence to Louisville, Ky. Mustered out September 14, 1864. (Veterans moved to Nashville July 25 and duty there till January, 1865. Battle of Nashville, Tenn., December 15-16. Pursuit of Hood December 17-28. Moved to Louisville, Pittsburg, Philadelphia, New York and Hilton Head, S.C., and rejoin Sherman at Raleigh, N. C., April, 1865. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. March to Washington, D.C., via Richmond, Va., April 29-May 19. Grand Review May 24. Moved to Louisville, Ky., June. Mustered out July 25, 1865.)
    Regiment lost during service 8 Officers and 149 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 143 Enlisted men by disease. Total 302.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXVIII/1 [S# 72]
    MAY 1-SEPTEMBER 8, 1864.--The Atlanta (Georgia) Campaign.
    No. 61.--Report of Brig. Gen. William B. Hazen, U.S. Army, commanding Second Brigade, of operations May 3-August 17.
    ar72_421 con't]
    HDQRS. SECOND DIVISION, FIFTEENTH ARMY CORPS,
    East Point, Ga., September 15, 1864.
    I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of the Second Brigade, Third Division, Fourth Corps, during the part of the late campaign it was commanded by myself:
    The brigade was stationed May 3 at McDonald's Station, on the Chattanooga and East Tennessee Railroad, thirty miles east from Chattanooga. At 12 m. of that day the brigade, composed of eight regiments, with an effective strength of 131 officers and 2,312 men, broke camp and marched, with one wagon to the regiment, in the direction of Catoosa Springs, reaching that point on the 4th, where we remained until the 7th, when we moved forward and occupied Tunnel Hill at meridian of the same day, taking position and remaining until the 9th, when, to make a diversion in favor of other troops, the brigade in two lines moved up one of the slopes of Rocky Face Ridge to within 100 yards of the summit. Our losses to-day were quite severe. We remained in front of Buzzard Roost until the 13th, when we passed through to Dalton, four miles distant, the enemy having retreated the previous night. We followed, striking his cavalry about 10 a.m. on the 14th four miles in front of Resaca. Forming in two lines, the troops moved forward for about two miles, when we came upon the left wing of the Twenty-third Corps sharply engaged with the enemy, which we relieved; and Colonel Payne, One hundred and twenty-fourth Ohio Volunteers, commanding his own regiment and the Ninety-third Ohio Volunteers, pushed forward, vigorously driving the enemy from their advanced position, and seizing a hill within 100 yards of a salient in his works, containing a battery and overlooking a portion of his line containing two other batteries, the horses of which were shot and the guns kept silent the remainder of the time he occupied this position. Lieutenant-Colonel Kimberly, Forty-first Ohio Volunteers, commanding his regiment and the First Ohio Volunteers, was sent in on Colonel Payne's right, giving us complete control of the enemy's position for several hundred yards, and by putting sharpshooters at work the men and horses of the enemy that showed themselves were shot; General Willich moving in connection with my right and General Stanley with my left and the line fortified. These operations were effected with a loss of not to exceed 60 men. On the 15th an assault of the enemy's works was ordered in conjunction with an advance by General Hooker. At the signal this brigade rooted over the works and toward the enemy, but the troops on the right and left hesitating, the entire fire of the enemy was concentrated upon my command, which was staggered, and as I could see no support ordered them back. The losses of the brigade in this unassisted and honest effort in the space of thirty seconds was 120. At about 10 p.m. the enemy opened a noisy fire all along our front, and during the confusion withdrew his artillery and later his infantry. In the morning a regiment, under Colonel Kimberly, and the skirmish line being moved forward to the Oostenaula River, picked up about 100 of the enemy. I would call attention to the accompanying sketch(*) of the position just described; also to the meritorious conduct of Colonel Payne in seizing the position already occupied by the enemy, and Lieutenant-Colonel Kimberly in assisting to make it secure. In the attempt to assault the greatest bravery and coolness was manifested by the entire command, but particularly by Col. W. W. Berry, Fifth Kentucky Infantry, and Lieut. and Adjt. J. J. Siddall, Sixth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. On the morning of the 16th the brigade moved through Resaca in the direction of Calhoun, and on the 17th to within one mile of Adairsville, skirmishing a portion of the way, and finding there the enemy drawn up to check our farther progress, causing us also to form in line. Some skirmishing took place with small loss. The enemy having withdrawn during the night, we moved on through Adairsville and Kingston, coming upon him in front of Cassville about midday the 19th. The command formed in line and moved cautiously forward to within a half mile of Cassville, the enemy retiring to that place, where he made dispositions for battle. Our own troops here covered themselves by a breast-work, but on the morning of the 20th no enemy was found in our front, he having retreated across the Allatoona Mountain.
    The troops remained in this position until the 23d, when we moved in the direction of Dallas, crossing the Etowah at Gillem's Bridge and bivouacking near Stilesborough, and on the 24th moved to Burnt Hickory, and on the 25th to near Dallas, going into position on the morning of the 26th with considerable skirmishing, which continued until about 10 a.m. of the 27th, when the brigade was withdrawn and formed in front of the division. Each brigade being deployed in two lines with this formation, supported by King's division, of the Fourteenth Corps, it moved through a thick wood for about three miles in search of the enemy's right flank. Having found it at 2.30 p.m., we remained in position until 4.30 for the other troops forming the expedition to be made ready.
    This brigade, in two lines, was then pushed forward to attack the enemy, the other troops not moving. After skirmishing about 800 yards, the front line came upon and immediately engaged the enemy, when one of the most desperate engagements of my experience ensued. The first line was composed of two battalions; the one on the right, commanded by Lieut. Col. R. L. Kimberly, Forty-first Ohio Volunteers, was composed of his own regiment and the First Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Major Stafford; the one on the left, by Col. O. H. Payne, One hundred and twenty-fourth Ohio Volunteers, composed of his own regiment and Ninety-third Ohio Volunteers, under Colonel Bowman. The whole, under my own personal supervision, moved up within ten yards of the position in which the enemy was found in force. A slight irregularity in the ground gave a partial cover for our men. The second line, composed of two battalions, one under Col. W. W. Berry, Fifth Kentucky, composed of his own regiment and the Sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, under Major Campbell; the other under Lieut. Col. James C. Foy, of the Twenty-third Kentucky, of his own regiment and the Sixth Kentucky, moved with the first line. On account of the thick wood it had changed direction to the left, so as to come in position directly on the left flank of the first line. It found no works and but slight resistance in its front, but upon presenting its flank to the enemy in front of the leading battalions it received a fire from that direction which checked it. My command had now lost 500 men in the attack and was powerless to push farther, although the enemy himself was partially broken. Believing our work well commenced, with certainty of the fullest success, I sent all of my staff in succession to bring forward the other lines of the column. In addition to these several members of regimental staffs were sent for the same purpose, some of whom were wounded while carrying the message. At last, forty minutes having elapsed since the beginning of the attack, the ammunition of my men being exhausted, and the enemy having been given time to bring forward a fresh brigade and attack strongly both my flanks, doubling them back, I was compelled to yield the ground, when I met for the first time the troops of the line in my rear, which was supposed, from the nature of the attack (in column), to have succeeded each other at short intervals. I also found that Colonel Scribner's brigade, which was to have supported my left, was operating, not in conjunction with me, but with the brigade next in my rear, so that two rebel regiments found no difficulty in attacking the rear of my left battalion. I will here say that the Thirty-second Indiana, the first regiment I saw coming to my support, did so in detached fragments, and not as a regiment. None of the other troops except about fifty men of the Forty-ninth Ohio advanced as far as my lines during their desperate and unsupported battle. Colonel Payne, with a portion of his command, held his position, quite at the front, until after dark, when they were withdrawn. It is due the brave brigade which I have commanded during the entire war until within the past few days, and which has been in the front of every battle of the Army of the Cumberland, to say that this battle of the 27th of May is its first and only unsuccessful effort during the war, and at this time, as its dead list will show, went at its work with an honest good will which deserved a better result. I shall ever believe its part bravely and well done. To Colonels Berry and Payne and Lieutenant-Colonels Kimberly and Foy, since killed, and their brave commands my sincere thanks are due. A sketch of the battle-field is herewith appended. (*)
    The brigade was put in position near where it fought, and during the night the enemy having permanently established his lines in our front, we remained here until the morning of June 5. The enemy having retired from the front the night previous, we moved to a position near New Hope Church, where we remained until the 10th. From this date to the 22d the command moved forward at short intervals, taking up new positions and fortifying them as the enemy would take up new lines, losing a few men each day. On the 22d reached Kenesaw Mountain, or, more properly, the last position taken up before the enemy's retreat beyond Marietta. This position was separated but about 300 yards from the enemy's. We remained here maneuvering with picket-lines, losing some men every day, and on the 23d losing 4 officers and 64 men in moving the picket-line forward, until 3d of July. The enemy having retreated during the previous night we moved forward through Marietta, and on the 4th and 5th to Pace's Ferry, on the Chattahoochee River, the enemy having halted and fortified but one position in this distance. This brigade being in advance on the 5th, met the enemy's cavalry five miles from the river, but pushing on vigorously did not halt for them, and reached the ferry just as the enemy had cut loose one end of their pontoon bridge, which swung around, but was secured by my men three days afterwards. All of the command during the day was at different times on the skirmish line; and all the battalion commanders performed good service. Our losses were slight in all the battalions. Major Williston, Forty-first Ohio Volunteers, near the ferry, was wounded and disabled. We remained in this position until the 10th, during which time Colonel Foy, Twenty-third Kentucky, was wounded, from which he has since died. We then moved up the river about six miles, and on the 12th crossed the Chattahoochee at Powers' Ferry and took up a position about one mile from it, putting up works on the 13th, where we remained until the 17th, when the division was moved down to Pace's Ferry, clearing the river-bank of the enemy to assist the Fourteenth Corps to cross, when we returned to the position of the morning and remained until the 18th, when we marched to Buck Head, taking up a position, and on the 19th moved to Peach Tree Creek, when, after repairing the bridge, the brigade moved over and took up a position for the night, supported by Kimball's brigade. On the 20th we moved by a circuitous route about four miles to the left and took position on the right of Stanley. We fortified it on the 21st, the enemy falling back upon Atlanta during the night, and on the 22d we moved and took up our last position in front of the city.
    Casualties have been frequent during the last four days. Good works and obstructions were made here, and with the exception of almost daily demonstration with picket-lines and artillery, but little occurred to mention in this report, up to the 17th of August, when I turned the command of the brigade over to Col. O. H. Payne, One hundred and twenty-fourth Ohio, and reported for duty in this army.
    I now render my sincere thanks to all the officers and men of the brigade for their universal bravery and good conduct. Of my battalion commanders, Colonel Foy, now dead, was a brave and earnest man.
    Colonels Payne, Berry, and Lieutenant-Colonel Kimberly have at all times shown such intelligence and zeal in the execution of duty as to deserve the highest consideration of the Government. My staff has always rendered me most efficient service. Lieut. A. G. Bierce, my topographical officer, a fearless and trusty man, was severely wounded in the head before Kenesaw Mountain on the 23d of June. Capt. S. B. Eaton, One hundred and twenty-fourth Ohio Volunteers, of my staff, was severely wounded while assisting at the crossing of Peach Tree Creek, July 19. He is an officer of rare intelligence and merit.
    Major McKeehan, of the Sixth Indiana Infantry, was wounded and captured on the 27th of May at the battle of Pickett's Mills, and afterward died in the hands of the enemy. His regiment could ill afford his loss.
    Since the beginning of the campaign, May 3, to the time I relinquished command, the casualties of the brigade have been as follows:

O Officers.
    M Men. T Total.

-Killed.- Wounded. Missing.
    Command. O M O M O M T
    1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry 2 16 7 77 .... .... 102
    41st Ohio Volunteers .... 30 2 104 .... 7 143
    93d Ohio Volunteers 1 15 .... 69 .... 8 93
    124th Ohio Volunteers 2 23 6 97 .... 10 138
    6th Kentucky 2 14 2 39 .... 5 62
    5th Kentucky 1 24 2 64 .... .... 91
    6th Indiana 4 18 8 81 .... 7 118
    23d Kentucky 2 6 4 79 .... 13 104
    Total 14 146 31 610 .... 50 851

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
    W. B. HAZEN,
    Brigadier-General.
    Capt. M.P. BESTOW,
    Assistant Adjutant-General.

Additional Very Basic 5th Kentucky Info

Again, I suspect the casualty tables won't reproduce well on the forum.

I culled some casualty figures for the 5th Kentucky Infantry (US) from the ORs, together with their order of battle for the Atlanta campaign. These guys were pretty cut up at Stone's River, Chickamauga, and Chattanooga, so that should probably factor into first-person portrayals to some extent at Pickett's Mill.

- Kevin

ADDITIONAL INFO ON THE FIFTH KENTUCKY VOLUNTEERS

Note: In the Atlanta Campaign the 5th Kentucky (Confederate) was part of Hardee’s Corps, Bates’s Division, Lewis’s Brigade. Do not confuse this regiment with the 5th Kentucky (US) of Howard’s Corps, Wood’s Division, Hazan’s Brigade.

The 5th Kentucky (US) was one of William Fox’s “Fighting 300” regiments; see Fox’s write-up on the regiment on the last two pages of this document.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXX/1 [S# 50]
    AUGUST 16-SEPTEMBER 22, 1863.--The Chickamauga Campaign.
    No. 5. --Return of Casualties in the Army of the Cumberland, commanded by Maj. Gen. William S. Rosecrans, at the battle of Chickamauga, Ga., September 19 and 20, 1863.(*)
    Return of Casualties in the Army of the Cumberland, &c.--Continued.
    O Officers. A Aggregate
    M Enlisted Men. C Captured or missing

--Killed-- -Wounded- -----C-----
    Command. O M O M O M A
    Third Brigade.
    Col. PHILEMON P. BALDWIN.(a)
    Col. WILLIAM W. BERRY.
    Staff .... 1 1 .... .... .... 2
    6th Indiana. 2 11 6 110 .... 31 160
    5th Kentucky. 2 12 6 73 2 30 125
    1st Ohio 1 12 3 93 .... 33 142
    93d Ohio .... 15 3 83 2 27 130
    Indiana Light Artillery, 5th Battery .... 1 1 6 .... 1 9
    Total Third Brigade 5 52 20 365 4 122 568

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXI/1 [S# 54]
    OCTOBER 26-29, 1863.--Reopening of the Tennessee River ...
    No. 4. --Report of Brig. Gen. William F. Smith, U. S. Army, Chief Engineer, Department of the Cumberland.
    List of Casualties(*) during the action at Brown's Ferry, October 27, 1863.
    Regiment Killed. Wounded. Missing. Total

33d Ohio Volunteer Infantry 1 2 .... 3
    41st Ohio Volunteer Infantry 1 2 .... 3
    124th Ohio Volunteer Infantry .... 4 .... 4
    5th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry.1 .... .... 1
    23d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry. 1 9 .... 10
    Total 4 17 .... 21

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXXI/2 [S# 55]
    NOVEMBER 23-27, 1863.--The Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign.
    No. 8.--Return of Casualties in the Union forces.(*)
    Return of Casualties in the Union forces--Continued.
    O Officers. A Aggregate
    M Enlisted Men. C Captured or missing

--Killed-- -Wounded- -----C-----
    Command. O M O M O M A
    Second Brigade.
    Brig. Gen. WILLAM B. HAZEN.
    6th Indiana .... 13 3 60 .... .... 76
    5th Kentucky 2 8 6 46 .... .... 62
    6th Kentucky .... .... 1 22 .... .... 23
    23d Kentucky .... 9 2 34 .... .... 45
    1st Ohio. 1 10 4 64 .... .... 79
    6th Ohio 1 5 2 26 .... 5 39
    41st Ohio. 1 17 5 65 .... .... 88
    93d Ohio. 1 15 4 61 .... .... 81
    124th Ohio .... 5 4 18 .... 2 29
    Total Second Brigade 6 82 31 396 .... 7 522

No. 2.--Organization of the Union (field) forces, commanded by Maj. Gen. William T. Sherman, in the Atlanta Campaign, May 3-September 8, 1864.
    FOURTH ARMY CORPS.
    Maj. Gen. OLIVER O. HOWARD.(a)

THIRD DIVISION.
    Brig. Gen. THOMAS J. WOOD.(g)

First Brigade.
    Brig. Gen. AUGUST WILLICH.(h)
    Col. WILLIAM H. GIBSON.
    Col. RICHARD H. NODINE.
    Col. WILLIAM H. GIBSON.(i)
    Co1. CHARLES T. HOTCHKISS.
    25th Illinois.
    35th Illinois.
    89th Illinois
    32d Indiana.
    8th Kansas
    15th Ohio
    49th Ohio
    15th Wisconsin

Second Brigade.
    Brig. Gen. WILLIAM B. HAZEN.(q) – transferred to Army of TN August 17, 1864
    Col. OLIVER H. PAYNE.
    Col. P. SIDNEY POST. (r)
    59th Illinois, (s) Capt. Samuel West.
    6th Indiana,(t) Lieut. Col. Calvin D. Campbell.
    5th Kentucky, (u) Col. William W. Berry. – transferred to Fourth Division, Twentieth Corps on July 25, 1864
    6th Kentucky: (u)
    Maj. Richard T. Whitaker.
    Capt. Isaac N. Johnston.
    23d Kentucky: (v)
    Lieut. Col. James C. Foy. (w)
    Maj. George W. Northup.
    1st Ohio,(x) Maj. Joab A. Stafford.
    6th Ohio,(y) Col. Nicholas L. Anderson.
    41st Ohio, Lieut. Col. Robert L. Kimberly. (z)
    71st Ohio, (aa) Col. Henry K. McConnell.
    93d Ohio, Lieut. Col. Daniel Bowman.
    124th Ohio:
    Col. Oliver H. Payne.
    Lieut. Col. James Pickands.(bb)
    Col. Oliver H. Payne.(cc)

Third Brigade.
    Brig. Gen. SAMUEL BEATTY. (a)
    Col. FREDERICK KNEFLER.
    79th Indiana
    86th Indiana
    9th Kentucky
    17th Kentucky
    13th Ohio
    19th Ohio

No. 61.--Report of Brig. Gen. William B. Hazen, U.S. Army, commanding Second Brigade, of operations May 3-August 17.
    Since the beginning of the campaign, May 3, to the time I relinquished command, the casualties of the brigade have been as follows:

O Officers.
    M Men. T Total.

-Killed.- Wounded. Missing.
    Command. O M O M O M T
    1st Ohio Volunteer Infantry 2 16 7 77 .... .... 102
    41st Ohio Volunteers .... 30 2 104 .... 7 143
    93d Ohio Volunteers 1 15 .... 69 .... 8 93
    124th Ohio Volunteers 2 23 6 97 .... 10 138
    6th Kentucky 2 14 2 39 .... 5 62
    5th Kentucky 1 24 2 64 .... .... 91
    6th Indiana 4 18 8 81 .... 7 118
    23d Kentucky 2 6 4 79 .... 13 104
    Total 14 146 31 610 .... 50 851

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
    W. B. HAZEN,
    Brigadier-General.

Per Dyer’s Compendium, the 5th Kentucky (US) lost 157 men killed and mortally wounded (8 officers, 149 men) during the war.

Per Fox’s Regimental Losses, the 5th Kentucky (US) had a total enrollment of 1020 men. With 157 K/MW, this equates to 15.3 percent of the total number of men enrolled in the regiment.

See Fox’s write-up on the 5th Kentucky on the following page.

FOX’S REGIMENTAL LOSSES
    Chapter X.—5th Kentucky Infantry.
    Hazen's Brigade--Wood's Division--4th Corps.

(1) Col. LOVELL H. ROUSSEAU; BVT. MAJOR-GEN. U.S.A.
    (2) Col. HARVEY M. BUCKLEY.
    (3) Col. WILLIAM W. BERRY.

O Officers K Killed and died of wounds.
    M Men D Died of disease, accidents, in prison, &c.
    T Total E Total Enrollment

--------K-------- --------D-------
    Companies O M T O M T E
    Field and Staff 1 · · 1 · · · · · · 15
    Company A · · 9 9 · · 17 17 97
    B · · 14 14 · · 12 12 101
    C · · 17 17 1 14 15 103
    D 1 16 17 1 14 15 91
    E 1 12 13 · · 11 11 102
    F · · 12 12 · · 18 18 95
    G 2 21 23 · · 11 11 105
    H · · 11 11 · · 14 14 100
    I 2 19 21 · · 18 18 101
    K 1 18 19 · · 14 14 110
    Totals 8 149 157 2 143 145 1,020
    Total of killed and wounded, 581; died in Confederate prisons (previously included), 27.

BATTLES. K. & M.W. BATTLES. K. & M.W.
    Shiloh, Tenn 16 Dalton, Ga 1
    Stone's River, Term 32 Blain's Cross Roads, Tenn 1
    Liberty Gap, Term 3 Resaca, Ga 10
    Chickamauga, Ga 32 Dallas, Ga 23
    Brown's Ferry, Term 1 Kenesaw, Ga 5
    Orchard Knob, Tenn 2 Chattahoochie, Ga 2
    Missionary Ridge, Tenn 20 Atlanta, Ga 3
    Rocky Face Ridge, Ga 1 Guerillas 1
    Picket Line 1 Place unknown 3
    Present, also, at Bowling Green, Ky.; Siege of Corinth, Miss.; Adairsville, Ga.; Peach Tree Creek, Ga.; Jonesboro, Ga.; Lovejoy's Station, Ga.
    157 killed = 15.3 per cent.
    NOTES.— Organized at Camp Joe Holt, Indiana, September 9, 1861, and crossing into Kentucky, soon after, it commenced its active service in Rousseau's Brigade, McCook's Division. In March, 1862, it marched with Buell's Army to re-enforce Grant, arriving on the field of Shiloh in time to take part in the battle and change a defeat into a victory. The Fifth was actively engaged there, losing 7 killed and 56 wounded. After participating next in the Siege of Corinth, it moved with Buell's troops on their long and arduous campaigns, the next battle of the regiment occurring at Stone's River, Tenn., on December 3~, 1862. It was then in Baldwin's (3d) Brigade, Johnson's (2d) Division, McCook's Corps; its loss in that engagement was 19 killed, 8o wounded, and 26 missing, out of 320 engaged, a part of the regiment being on detached service. The Fifth suffered its severest loss at Chickamauga, its casualties on that field amounting to 14 killed, 79 wounded, and 32 missing, out of a small number engaged; Major Charles L. Thomassen was killed in this battle. In October, 1863, the regiment became a part of Hazen's (2d) Brigade, Wood's (3d) Division, Fourth Corps, in which command it fought at Missionary Ridge and through the Atlanta campaign of 1864. Though small in numbers, it made a brilliant fight at Orchard Knob and Missionary Ridge, its percentage of loss being again very large; in fact, the total percentage of loss in action of the Fifth Kentucky, as based on its total enrollment, was exceeded by but few regiments in the entire army. The regiment was mustered out September 14, 1864.

Comment

Now the Offer for the Legible Version

Now that I've posted all that, if anyone wants a copy of the 5th Kaintucky info via e-mail in a Word file, in which the tables ARE readable, shoot me an e-mail at ColumbiaRifles@aol.com.

Comment

Re: Utterly Basic 5th Kentucky Vols Info

Just to add a little tidbit, in most of the period references the 5th is refered to as the Louisville Legion about as often as they are refered to as the 5th KY.

Lee
        Lee White
        Researcher and Historian
        "Delenda Est Carthago"
        "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Have people begun to pick persons to portray for this event yet? As there is a Mattingly on the roster for company H, id like to portray my namesake.

chris mattingly
          Chris Mattingly
          The Coffee Cooler Mess

Comment

I checked to see if the regimental books for the 5th Kentucky have survived in the National Archives (RG 94) but, alas, it appears they have not. It's probably too late but this source might also be helpful:

Summary Statements of Quarterly Returns of Ordnance and Ordnance Stores on Hand in Regular and Volunteer Army Organizations, 1862-1867, 1870-1876, 1862-1876.
            (NARA M1281)

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
            X