Pickett's Mill Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickett's Mill Question

I saw no cameras the entire weekend other than a few carried by spectators…and that is exactly as it should be. That being said, this was one of those events that makes you want to go up to the “authenticity-challenged”, grab them by the shoulders, and shove a picture in their faces and say “See, this is the way it should be!”

I’m told that there was one spectator on the field during the Saturday battle taking photos for a publication although I never noticed him. Does anyone know anything about this? Did the Park staff or Friends of the Park get any photos?
    Marlin Teat
    [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Re: Pickett's Mill Question

Registration for Picketts Mill 2004 = $25

Additional donation for John's fence rails = $25

Gas from Central Jersey to Dallas Georgia = $90 (Each way)

Knowing that you are still going to the right events = PRICELESS

PS - Nice to meet you Marlin!
    Bo Carlson

[i][b]At the dawn of the 21st century the human species does appear to be in a rapid state of de-evolution. The time for personal salvation is now, while the people terrorize each other like warring insects, all the while crying out for global change and healing. Can we as a species hope to achieve something as grandiose as constructing a Heaven on Earth, when our very souls are rotten and empty?[/b][/i]

Comment

I saw many cameras in the hands of federal soldiers, and was quite disappointed. But there may be some photos available like the ones you desire.
      Dave Grieves

Comment

Originally posted by Jersey Devil
        Registration for Picketts Mill 2004 = $25

Additional donation for John's fence rails = $25

Gas from Central Jersey to Dallas Georgia = $90 (Each way)

Knowing that you are still going to the right events = PRICELESS

PS - Nice to meet you Marlin!
        Great to meet you too, Bo. BTW, one of my period moments was watching you "brew up" down next to the creek. I left my boiler back with the trains and was drooling for some coffee.
        Marlin Teat
        [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Marlin,
          To answer your question, yes there were folks from the Park (John McKinnel, Coley's Brother, and Max) taking pictures. Coley and I are working to get those to post along with an AAR for Rick and Patrick. Also someone from the Civil War Courier was there during the battle taking pictures. Though Greg Pace and myself tried to keep him out of the area of the fight but he would not stay gone. In fact he was down right rude about not being willing to leave and go with the other spectators. He did not have permission from the Park to be down there either. Their Staff had herded him back to the spectator area three times before either side got there to start the fight I found out later.

Anyway I hope they will be willing to share their pictures with us as well.
          [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
          [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
          [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I'll admit that I was one of the federals who had a camera, I kept it in my knapsack most all of the weekend, and only pulled it out in the parking lot before the event or when there was an obvious modern intrusion, didn't want to ruin anyones moment....such as when the federal line stopped next to a bulldozer for half an hour. During the saturday battle, I was so awe inspired by what I was seeing, one of the most authentic battle recreations i've ever been apart of, that I took a hit and discreetly took a position far behind the federal line and took 3 or 4 quick snaps from the rear before throwing it back in my knapsack. I hope I didn't ruin anyones moment, I'll post the pics on this site as soon as possible.
            Ryan Burns
            The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
            3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Ryan,
              If you can send them to me I would like to post them on the WIG website.

Comment

not a problem Tripp.
                Ryan Burns
                The Skulkers Mess

GGG Grandson of 1st Sgt. Albert Burns
                3rd Mississippi Infantry Regiment

Comment

Originally posted by trippcor
                  Also someone from the Civil War Courier was there during the battle taking pictures. Though Greg Pace and myself tried to keep him out of the area of the fight but he would not stay gone. In fact he was down right rude about not being willing to leave and go with the other spectators. He did not have permission from the Park to be down there either. Their Staff had herded him back to the spectator area three times before either side got there to start the fight I found out later.
                  WTF was the Civil War Courier doing there? This seems to be way out of their league... in a year and a half, I have yet to see a single mention of the authentic side of the hobby in that miserable rag.

They must've been lost ;-)

Tom
                  Tom Ezell

Comment

You got me?? We didn't invite them. Of course I could be remembering wrong which considering how tired I was after the weekend was over is quite possible.

Comment

Perhaps you could track down the gent with the Pomeranian, aluminum camp chair, and the 2 barbies on his arms. If I was a betting man, I'd say he had a camera too. :sick:
                      Pat Price

[URL="http://www.pumpkinpatchmess.com/"]Pumpkin Patch Mess[/URL]

Comment

I also brought a camera with me to the event, for pictures to submit with an AAR to the Camp Chase. When I got to the registration tent, I asked John if I could bring it if I promised to only take pictures once the event ended, before everyone could disperse to their cars.

He was adamant that NO cameras be allowed in, and that was that.

If anyone has copies that they can spare, please contact me at:

michael.phineas@txcars.ang.af.mil

I am still considering submitting an article to CCG on the event, so that others who do not peruse these forums may read of the success that was the Mill. Or maybe I should just ask their Courier photographer for some...

Mike Phineas
                        Arlington, TX
                        Mike Phineas
                        Arlington, TX
                        24th Missouri Infantry
                        Independent Volunteer Battalion
                        www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Tom,

Not in defense of the person from the Civil War Courier, I believe they just bought the CCG. May be their start in getting the authentic slant to their rag.

Crabby
                          Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
                          John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by crabby
                            Not in defense of the person from the Civil War Courier, I believe they just bought the CCG. May be their start in getting the authentic slant to their rag.
                            The Second Law of thermodynamics holds that in the absence of appropriate constraints, entropy (disorder) increases with respect to time, pressure, volume, etc.

Same thing happens when you mix bad apples with good apples. The bad ones don't improve, rather it's the other way around. I will be shocked, I say

SHOCKED!

if the CCG/CWC merger leads to an improvement in either publication.

:cry_smile

Tom
                            Tom Ezell

Comment

To support what Dave Grieves said, I too saw more than one Federal (although it was only a few) waving a camera at various points in the weekend.

Those of us from our group who attended posed for a couple photos, but that was only in the parking lot on Friday evening and Sunday morning after the event was over.

I too would like to see some images from the event, but can't provide any other than a few of guys from our group standing in front of trees in the parking lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X