Historical Tidbits about the Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Tidbits about the Battle

Note: If the moderators wish to move this somewhere else please let me know.

I am James Wooten the Interpretive Ranger at Pickett’s Mill Battlefield State Historic Site. In the weeks to come I hope to place some historical notes, stories, and quotes about the battle on this fine forum to help enhance what is sure to be one of the best experiences of the year the 140th Commemoration of the Battle of Pickett’s Mill.

The majority of the information I will use is under copyright so I cannot post the entire documents online only short passages for educational purposes. I intend to copy this information as written so if something does not seem spelled right remember it is how the person in the 1860’s spelled it.

My first story comes from the diary of private W. E. Matthews Co. I 33rd Alabama at Dalton, Georgia December 1863 page 30.

“McCook was dubbed Company B’s skillet wagon by men in the other companies for the reason that he carried a tin pan and can or bucket, each holding about a gallon, which we often borrowed. Many of us were known and would answer by some hick name. Mine was “Marker”, being a regimental marcker. There was Burnt Tail, Cook Bread, Mumps, Lousey Jum, Keno, and Sharp, and others. One evening while on dress parade, Col. Adams in calling a twenty year, old boy of Company B to attention while the Adjutant was reading an order to undesignated him by a name that he would not have given a married man, and he was known by that name afterward. It also warned others of the regiment who cared to keep off the sick list for fear Dr. Oliver would tell the Colonel.”

I hope you all enjoyed this snippet. Of course I will post Federal information as well.

Thanks,

James Wooten

Re: Historical Tidbits about the Battle

James-
    If you have any civilian snippets, those would be appreciated as well. Thanks and keep up the good work!
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
    [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

From Campaigns of The 124th Regiment
      author was an anonymous member of the unit
      pages 44-45
      " By this time in our experience as soldiers [9/1863] we had divided into messes of about four. One would carry a small tin pail or kettle, holding about four quarts; another would carry a small frying pan; the third would carry a coffeepot-without which the rebellion could not have been put down-while the fourth would carry some other article necessary to the culinary art. The commissary supplied us with salt pork or bacon, and also with salt and pepper.

Now then, the culinary process is this:the corn is gathered and carefully silked, then with a sharp knife -and every soldier is supposed to have one, or if left lying around loose- the corn was shaven from the cob, put into the frying pan and cooked until tender; add salt and pepper to taste, and you have a dish good enough to set in front of a union soldier and too good for a king.

David D. Barno (not General David W. Barno- best wishes to him!)
      Furious 5

Comment

Federal Tidbit

Part 1.
        Because of the length of this Federal account of the cornfield fight, it will be posted in two parts. This account comes from Briant’s History of the 6th Regiment Indiana Volunteers pages 316-318.

“General T.J. Wood’s division of the Fourth Corps was selected to make the assault. This movement was on the 27th, and after a good deal of maneuvering to get in position, about 5 o’clock in the evening Hazen’s brigade of Wood’s division was placed in the lead and the assault ordered and attempted with great vigor. The reader will please remember that General Hazen is our brigade commander, and a brave, dashing officer he was; not a member of the old Sixth that did not know him personally; and on this occasion he left his horse in the rear and took it afoot, and all the time we were driving in the skirmishers (note: cavalry) and their reserves General Hazen was with our regiment on the front line, and continued there until the final charge was ordered, or on up until we came to the edge of the (corn) field, over which we charged. Here we left the General behind a tree and dashed down across the field.
        This field, as near as I can now estimate it, contained about ten acres, with woods all around it. About the center was a deep ravine, running so that we went square across it in reaching the rebel works (worm rail fence). It was quite steep down to the ravine, and even more so up to the rebel position (cavalry at this time), on the opposite side of the field. About one hundred and fifty yards to the left of our regiment, as we went across the field, was Pumpkin Vine Creek (note: The stream near the cornfield is known as the Wild Cat Branch. Every river, creek, and stream in Paulding County was called Pumpkin Vine Creek by both sides in May 1864.), into which the deep ravine (cornfield) we crossed emptied its waters. The space between our left and Pumpkin Vine Creek was occupied by the Twenty-third Kentucky of our brigade. The left of the Twenty-third rested on the creek. Its bank was a steep bluff, except where the ravine emptied into it. Along the bank of this was a rail fence the length of the field, and the left of the Twenty-third, as it charged across the field, moved right along this fence. On the opposite side of the field was the rebel works (cavalry), hastily built of the rails of the same fence that enclosed the field. On our right was the Fifth Kentucky, commanded by Colonel Berry. In charging across the field, these three regiments kept abreast of each other until the Fifth Kentucky struck the corner of a little woods which run down toward the ravine from the right hand further corner of the enclosure. In these woods they stopped, while the Sixth Indiana and Twenty-third Kentucky went on up the hill and captured the rebel works the full length of our two regiments.”

That’s all for now, the rest will be posted later.

Thanks,
        James Wooten, Interpretive Ranger

Comment

Brigadier General Mark P. Lowery’s (C.S.A.) postwar description of the cornfield fight during the Battle of Pickett’s Mill will be the focus of this post. The following information was taken from a brief post war autobiography by General Lowery and published in the Kennesaw Gazette (GA) on November 15, 1888 pages 3 and 4 of the document.

“I took an active part in the campaign that opened at Dalton on the 7th of May 1864. You remember the effort made by the enemy on the New Hope Church line on the 27th of May 1864, to turn our right flank in which Clebourne’s division by dash defeated enemy. [Here, Lowery is referring to Pickett’s Mill, which is about 2 ½ miles northeast of New Hope Church and frequently confused with the Battle of New Hope Church.]

In that engagement, Gen. (Hiram) Granbury, having formed his (Texas) brigade on the right of Govan (Arkansas brigade), had nothing but a few cavalry (under Kelly) on his right, and these were rapidly giving way before the heavy columns of Yankee infantry (the brigades of Hazen and Scribner). My brigade, then being in reserve to Tucker’s brigade (Hindman’s division), was ordered at 5 p.m. to move rapidly to the right. We went about a mile and a half, most of the way in the double-quick.

Gen. Clebourne met me on the way, and with his usual calmness told me it was necessary to move rapidly. He then explained to me the situation, and as he left hastily he said. “Secure Granbury’s right.” Granbury was hotly engaged, and the enemy had already passed to the rear of his right flank, and was pressing on. I found the 8th Arkansas (8th & 19th Arkansas combined regiment), of Govan’s brigade, hastening to the rescue, and as they were ahead of my command I ordered them to move up rapidly to Granbury’s right. As soon as one of my regiments (33rd Alabama) had passed their right flank (8th & 19th Arkansas), I threw them forward to meet the advancing foe; and as the regiments moved up I threw them forward in rapid succession and we drove the enemy back in handsome style. We pursued and drove him from the hill that commanded Granbury’s whole line.

This was the key to the whole situation, and it would have been impossible for Granbury to have held his ground with enemy on that hill. The hill was taken by a gallant charge of the 33rd Alabama of my brigade, but they (Federals) seemed to perceive the advantage they had lost, and made several efforts to regain it. The 33rd Alabama lost heavily for so short and engagement, and at one time the men wavered, and the position would have been lost but for the immediate presence of the gallant Col. (Sam) Adams (killed by a Federal sharpshooter July 21, 1864) and myself.

I went to his assistance when he was in the midst of his men under a terrible fire, rallying and encouraging them, regardless of danger. I dashed into their midst on old “Rebel,” my favorite horse, and the position was held. Here, again, a victory was secured by a dash, that could have been secured in no other way. Granbury’s gallant Texans fought as but few troops would have fought, and the destruction of the enemy in their front was perhaps the greatest that occurred during the whole war, considering the number engaged and the length of time. But the position could not have been held had not the right flank been secured, and I am quite sure this could not have been held if I had waited to put my whole brigade in position, and move them all up at once. Indeed, it was one of those times in which the victory trembled in the scale, and the lives of many men, and probably the destiny of an army hung upon a moment of time. This engagement was on Pumpkinvine Creek (Wild Cat Branch and Pickett’s Mill Creek), just about Pickett’s Mill, and a little north of a road known as the Acworth Road.”

More later,

Comment

Part 2 6th Indiana

Part 2.
            The second half of the Federal fight in the cornfield from Briant, History of the 6th Regiment Indiana Volunteers pages 318-320. There will be more Federal accounts later.

“Captain Samuel McKeehan, who was acting Major, and who was the ranking officer over there, made the discovery that we had no support on either flank, and told the writer to go down where Colonel Berry was, in the woods, and tell him to charge up and take the rebel line on his front, or we would be compelled to fall back. I instantly turned to the right and started in a quick run, quartering to the rear, thinking Colonel Berry was about in that direction. I had gone about one hundred feet, which brought me directly in front of the rebels, who still held their line on our right, when one of them fired at me as I run, but I was going a little too fast. The ball plowed across the small of the back, but not deep enough to cripple; so, after turning a somersault, and going through some other gymnastic performances, I bound off down the hill, found the Colonel and delivered my message, and, with all possible speed, made my way back to my post in the regiment; but the first sight, upon my return, was the prostrate form of Major McKeehan lying on his face. I ran to him and lifted his head when he put up his hand, caught my coat collar and pulled me down, then as well as he could speak (for the poor fellow was shot in the mouth), told me to never mind him, but look after the men.

I laid his head back on the ground and straightened up with my face full to the front. The first look discovered a rebel column (Lowery’s Brigade) in good order moving at quick time toward Pumpkin Vine Creek (Wild Cat Branch). I thought this meant mischief, and broke at the top speed to the left, down the line toward the creek, passing to the top of the bluff beyond the extreme left of the Twenty-third Kentucky. From here I could see no help anywhere; but this rebel column had passed by our left, down the creek, and were just coming into the field at the mouth of the ravine, and in five minutes more time would have been completely in our rear. I instantly gave the command to retreat, and at the same time, with all possible speed, went back up to my own regiment, yelling at the top of my voice all the way up, “Retreat! Retreat!” and as soon as I arrived at my own regiment and company I gave the order, “Retreat square to the rear or we will be captured.” It is needless to say that both regiments broke in wild disorder for a place of safety. But the amusing part of this performance was to see the rebel commander ride in the midst of the Twenty-third Kentucky boys, and with a very gentle, sweet voice, tell them to halt and form their lines, while his own men, with fixed bayonets, were coming as fast as their legs would carry them. The boys did not halt, all the same. But the curious part was that they were so much excited that they did not notice the rebel Colonel, but made their way to our own line and were saved, except a few on the extreme left, near the creek. The old Sixth run the gauntlet with the loss of ten men captured. By the time we reached our line, which was at the fence at the (north) edge of the field, it was so near night that no further demonstrations were made that day. The fellows that came so near getting us, simply fell back into their old line, while our boys fortified, and so we rested for the night, with the field between us.

General Woods’ division lost over fourteen hundred men killed, wounded and missing. The loss of life in our regiment was terrible, and see how near we come to being captured, which would have about finished our earthly career, as the old boys were about done up anyhow; not many of them could have survived another year in rebel prison pens, in our already exhausted condition.”

That is it for now,

Comment

Living conditions for USA soldiers on New Hope Line

The following account is taken from the Book “Letters From The Front, A Union “Preacher” Regiment (74th Ohio) in the Civil War” by Theodore W. Blackburn pages 181-190 it is one of the better accounts of what life was like for Federal Soldiers on the New Hope Line May 27, to June 4, 1864. The 74th Ohio was part of Scribner’s Brigade at this time and although they did not take part in the heavy fighting on May 27, they did skirmish with the Confederates everyday they were on this line.

“As usual, Captain Findley (Journal) saw only a small part of the action:
              Friday, May 27, 1864
              Rose at daybreak. Morning cool. Felt much refreshed from sleep. Saw the enemy line. We have a good line. At 10 o’clock marched to left. Marched thro’ the woods all day. Very fatiguing. Marched perhaps 5 or 6 miles.
              About 5 o’clock fighting began in our front. Very heavy. We lay in edge of woods while shells and musket balls passed off over us. Fighting very heavy in our front. Expecting each moment to go into it. About dark fighting ceased. Built breastworks across garden. Men sleeping in feather beds in garden house . . . terribly torn up inside. Rebels charged us (Lowery’s Brigade) about 10 o’clock carrying off our wounded. 37th Indiana and 78 Penn lost heavily. Fell back about one mile and halted for the night on side of hill --- slept soundly till daylight of [Saturday, May 28, 1864].”

“Back to Findley’s journal for the twenty-eighth:
              Saturday, May 28, 1864
              Marched a short distance and halted by branch for breakfast. Shelled us this morning. Gen’l Johnson was slightly wounded. Also Col. [James M.] Neibling of the 21st Ohio in arm --- since amputated. Saw Dr. Clark and Willison --- while … by halting to talk to them I well nigh lost the regiment. It moved to top of hill (Hazen’s Hill) and it was some time before I came to it. Built breastworks. Lay behind them all day. An occasional shot passed over us all day. We rested quietly. Are glad to rest. Sleeping in P. M. Am almost worn out --- but can go longer yet. On duty tonight --- officer of the night.

Sunday, May 29, 1864
              Rebels (Hindman’s Division) made an attack upon our lines last night at 10 ½ o’clock. It was only one charge and all was over. We were up and ready. Slept comfortably during a portion of the night. Firing kept up most of the day. A mail came. Rec’d a letter from Bro. “W” dated 12th last [month] and four from Katie Dawson. Reading and talking and eating hard tack and pork. Were driven outside our breastworks for protection from shells. Wrote a long letter to Father in evening. Are refreshed by rest.

Monday, May 30, 1864
              Rose at daylight --- cold and chilly. Charge were made all along the lines last night and shells burst over us. Only one man wounded in the Reg’t. Fighting was heavy on our right last night. Reading and passing the time as best I can lying behind this breastwork. Wrote to Bro. “W” today….

Tuesday, May 31, 1864
              Rose at 4 A. M. Still lying behind breastwork. Had clothing washed. Wound[ed] coming in from the skirmish line. Various reports are in circulation. Strange rocks on the land etc. Had fresh meat all day. Reading “Paradise Lost.” Slept at 9 o’clock. Day pleasant. Growing tired of this kind of life.

Wednesday, June 1, 1864
              Rose at 4. Morning pleasant. Chaplain and Lieut. [John} Scott came up today --- both looking worse of the wear. Wrote a letter to Bro. Ross of 8 pages expressing fully my views of the Government, War etc. He is not true blue and [I] wish [him] to know it. Reading Atlantic Monthly which Chaplain brought up. Time passes away rapidly considering how we are situated. Balls pass over us occasionally --- but none have been hit by them. Weather pleasant.

Thursday, June 2, 1864
              Rose at 3 ½ --- morning very pleasant. At noon marched to our inner line of works and to the left. It rained in torrents for about one ½ hour --- making the ground and ditches muddy and unpleasant. Lightning very vivid[.] Striking close. Went back one mile for rations. Waited one hour before I got any, standing in mud two inches deep. Saw a man of the 1st Ohio (Hazen’s Brigade) killed with lightning. Moved to left to works occupied by the 15th Ky. Again to the right and relieved the 78th Pa. Night dark and wet --- slept but little.

Friday, June 3, 1864
              Rose at 3 A. M. Went out on skirmish line. Am in command of the line. Heavy cannonading to our left. Men keep firing. Day damp no sun. Stray balls passed over us all the time. Have cross fire on us. Am sitting between two trees. In rear of one, but it matters little which side I am on, as balls come from all directions upon us.
              Am reading “Atlantic Monthly.” At noon we were relieved by the 5 right companies. Ike [Issac] Ramseur of Co. K was shot in the arm as he was returning from breastwork. The wound but slight. Had beefsoup for dinner. Lay down and slept. Rained slightly. At dark we relieved the skirmishers. A man in Co. G wounded by stray ball. Co. K again on the line.

*** (Denotes extensive damage to journal. Because of rat or mouse damage, the amount of narrative destroyed is not known.)

Captain [Frank] Tedford relieved me at 1 and 2 --- slept until the relief came at daybreak. Returned to works. Began raining a cold chilly rain. Was waked by the rain falling upon me. The men are sleeping in the mud --- their gum blankets covering them --- their legs extending outside the blanket --- their feet and legs covered with mud. Many of them have no gum blanket to cover with and are taking the rain. I lay down under a dog tent with Will Bush and [James] Edwards. My gum coat covering me all but my feet and they lay out in the rain. A root in the center bent almost in rain bow shape. Bush brought me an armful of oak leaves. They were wet but still softer than the ground. It was now about 7 o’clock of [June 4]

Saturday, June 4,1864
              I fell asleep after a time and was unconscious till 10 A. M. when waked finding the rain had ceased --- to the joy of us all. The men --- all of us --- are covered with mud. Our clothing is wet, muddy, and filthy. We feel dirty and bad. No man in good condition and feeling well. The pants are worn out in seat and torn. The blouses are ragged. Everything is in an unpleasant condition owing to rain, mud and length of campaign. Firing kept up all time on the line and an occasional ball passes over us. Went out on line at 12 N. Co.’s G and K in reserve. To keep awake I wrote a letter of two sheets close writing to father. Gave him minute account of things for a few days past.

*** (Denotes extensive damage to journal. Because of rat or mouse damage, the amount of narrative destroyed is not known.)

Just as we arrived in camp began raining a disagreeable rain. Slept in tent with George Bush and Edwards. In night firing began on our left and a ball came uncomfortable near my head, which waked and rendered me uneasy and unable to sleep. It continued to rain most of the night.
              To show how instinctively we placed our heads behind the most trifling protection, I --- scarce half awake --- drew my head down off my haversack, leaving it propped upright for a breastwork, and thus fell asleep. I felt secure --- my head was behind two plies of oilcloth and a few broken pieces of “hard tack,” and what could a “minnie” do?”

That is it for now. I will post more later. If anyone is trying to email me, please retry because I am having trouble with Windows XP and Outlook Express.

Thanks,

Comment

CSA Rations May & June 1864

Here is information about food and food preparation for CSA troops in May and June 1864. This account is from “As Told By Mr. W. E. Matthews – A Confederate Soldier” pages 32 & 33. Matthews was in Co. B (Dale County Greys) 33rd Alabama.

“Then I was one of a detail of a man from each of the thirteen companies who remained from two to five miles in the rear with the regimental skillet wagon and near plenty wood and water, occasionally breaking cook camp to a new camp where I was kept busy chopping in the forest and carrying wood and water and cooking for the company. Company B then consisted of about sixty men. However, the day following each first, Resaca, New Hope Church (Pickett’s Mill), and at Kennesaw Mountain, I would draw and cook rations for less men. I was detailed to relieve Joseph E. Chesire, who had sent us word that he was sick and not able to do the cooking, and who returned to the command and died in camp one night sixteen days later, May 26. Each regiment’s wagoner daily drew at the nearest railroad station a ration for each officer and man of the regiment, consisting either of a pound of unbolted corn meal or sometimes a half pound of bacon and some salt, but the meat rations were usually one pound of fresh beef which he got at the butcher pen. Wagoner carried each company’s rations to the cooking camp separately, where the company rations were cooked together. The meal was baked into pones in skillets, or if flour, into biscuits. The meat was cut into pieces usually weighing from one to three pounds and boiled in tin cans with wire bails that held about four gallons each. After this set until cold in the water, the tallow was heated and used in the next batch of bread. The cooked meat and bread was put in sacks and wagoner carried the rations to the company. Then someone, usually Sergeant Linsenby would ascertain the number of officers and men with the company at the time and divide the food into that number of portions. Then someone would turn their back to the grub and Lisenby would point his finger and say, “Who is this for?” and the man whose eyes were turned away would name one of the company and continued to do so until he named all. We drew cooked rations all through the Dalton – Atlanta campaign and while at Lovejoy commenced again drawing uncooked rations and cooking them ourselves. Details had cooked our rations at other times but only for a short while. Our meat rations on this campaign seemed to be a better grade and more liberal in weight than we had the previous winter. Company B didn’t make this any presents. About July 1st, I was relieved of cook detail by W. Green Snell and returned to the command where we occupied ditches at different places and the night of the 9th crossed the river on a pontoon and occupied the hills on the south side.”

I’ll have more later,

Comment

James, those are great postings!

Not wanting to "upstage" anyone, I would like to include the following Pickett's Mill account from the diary of William E. Sloan, Co.D 5th Tennessee Cavalry:

May 27. I went with a detail last night to Marietta for rations and returned to the command this morning, which is on their right wing of the army not far from what is called New Hope Church.

May 27. Continued.
                  Battle of New Hope Church
                  Our line of battle extends northeast and southwest, with the right wing pointing toward Allatoona and the left resting on or near Dallas. The line is somewhat parallel with the road running between those two points, and heavy fighting has been going on all along the line for two days. Our brigade dashed out about 4 o'clock this evening to meet a heavy column of the enemy's infantry which made a desperate effort to turn the right flank of our army. They had been extending their line to our right all day, and now finding a space unguarded they massed their infantry six lines of battle deep, and undertook to force their way through. Our brigade was the only available force to meet them in time, as all other cavalry was engaged elsewhere. We dismounted and formed in a single line, which in many places amounted to but little more than a skirmish line. The fight was terrific from the start, and the enemy pressed us back a little first, but a charge was ordered and we went at them with a yell, which was the only thing we could do to stop their onward movement. This had the effect of checking them only, and brought the lines nearer together, but we did not attempt any close contact, as we had no bayonets, and besides we were too weak in numbers. The enemy never attempted a charge, but moved forward very slowly until we checked him up, and then he stood still, all the time pouring forth a volcano of fire as I never saw before.
                  They must have mistaken our numbers, or else they would have made a charge and run right over us. They outnumbered us at least twelve to one, for they had six lines of two ranks each, while we had only one single rank line, and in some places it was stretched out into a mere skirmish line. We were told to hold our position until reinforcements arrived, and we did it, though they were a long time coming. At last a part of Cleburne's division of infantry moved up in our rear in line of battle, and infantry and cavalry mixed together in one line. Then a roar went up which those Yankees could probably hear despite the noise of their own guns, at least if they could not hear it they could see it and feel it too.
                  After that the battle was short, the enemy soon retreated and the field was ours. We were soon ordered to horse and left the infantry veterans to hold the field, which they were fully capable to doing.
                  Our loss in the battle was very light, while that of the enemy was astonishingly heavy; in fact the ground was strewed with the enemy dead, which they left on the field. This can be accounted for in several ways. First, their ranks were so densely massed that it was almost impossible for a bullet to pass through without hitting a man, while our line was so thin and scattered that it was hard to hit any one. Then it is evident that those Yankees shot too high, which might partly be accounted for in the fact that part of our line was in brushwood which partially concealed us, and they shot at the smoke over our heads; while we could easily see the position of their front rank and take deliberate aim at them, and if we shot too high for the front rank we were very liable to hit a man in rear, as we were on higher ground than they, but that does not account for the condition of affairs farther to our left where one of our Tennessee regiments occupied low open ground and was exposed to the plain view of the enemy, yet their loss was no greater than that of our 5th Tennessee which was on higher ground in the brushwood.
                  Our boys are in the habit of taking aim when they shoot, and our watchword in battle always is "draw low". It is hard to understand how those Yankees shot tons and tons of lead at us without doing us more harm, but it is certain that most of it passed harmlessly over our heads. They also had batteries firing on all the time, but I never heard of one of our men receiving so much as a scratch from any artillery missile during the battle.
                  This fight commenced probably about 4 o'clock P.M. and lasted two or three hours. The Federal troops we were fighting was the Fourth Army corps under Gen. Howard.

Note: The battle described above and on the preceding page, which was fought between 4 and 7 o'clock P.M. on May 27th. 1864 by Ashby's Tennessee cavalry Brigade, reinforced by a part of Cleburne's division of infantry, has all these years been known to the survivors of Ashby's brigade as the "Battle of New Hope Church," and Gen. Wheeler always mentioned it by that name. I am of the opinion, however, at the date of inserting this note, which is 45 years after the battle was fought, that the particular four o'clock struggle described in the foregoing notes ought to be designated as the battle of Pickett's Mill, to distinguish it from other hard fights around New Hope Church on the 25th and 27th. Sherman's army, after crossing the town river, had made a great flank movement to the southwest, which Johnston had met and defeated in front of Dallas. Then Sherman began a sliding movement of his army toward the northeast, in an endeavor to turn Johnston's right flank, which caused all the hard fighting around New Hope Church. None of our cavalry was engaged in this fighting until the morning of the 27th, as we did not get back from the Cassville raid until the night of the 25th.

Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
                  Burleson, TX.
                  PS. Lookin forward to the 140th P. Mill event...W.E. Sloan was a cousin to my GGGrandmother, Manerva Ann (Sloan) Thornton!
                  Kevin Dally

Comment

Civilian info about Pickett Family 1860

This is for the civilians a little background of the Pickett Family. The following information is from a genealogical paper written by Eugene Powell page 4 located in our meager Pickett Family history folder.

“In 1860 Census of Paulding County, Georgia dated June 18, 1860, Malachi L. Pickett was fifty-nine years old, Mal was born in South Carolina. The only two children left at home were Mal. T. and Rachel Pickett. Mal. T. Pickett was twenty-five years old. Rachel Pickett was twenty-seven years old. Damoran Pace, a female of age twenty-one was living with Mal and Mary Pickett.

James Pickett was living in Burnt Hickory Dist., Paulding County, Georgia. He had married Elizabeth Brintle, and they had five children: Miacajah, Oliver, Sarah, Amanda, and Eliza Pickett. In the 1860 census, Macajah was nine years old, Amanda was four years old, and Eliza Pickett was two years old.

Benjamin W. Pickett and Martha C. Fanin were in the census of 1860. They were married in August 8, 1850. They had four children: Malachi Pickett age nine, Lorman Pickett age six, William G. Pickett age four, and Mary Francis Pickett age 4 ½. (Note: This is usually the family we represent as refugees during programs plus the four still living with Malachi L. Pickett.) …

… During the Civil War, Malachi and Mary Pickett had three sons in the First Georgia Cavalry. They were in Company D. Benjamin W. Pickett was thirty-five years old when he enlisted. He was killed on September 19, 1863 in the battle of Chickamauga. James C. Pickett and Malachi T. Pickett were with Benjamin. They lived.”

I’ll see if I can find more,

Comment

Thanks a bunch, James!!!!!!!
                      [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
                      [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

4th LA in the Cornfield Part 1

The following story is quoted from an unpublished manuscript written by Thomas H. Richey on 9-23-02 “The Tirailleurs of the 4th Louisiana Infantry” pages142 to 147. I hope he turns this into a book real soon because it is good. I am going to break this story down into several different parts because of the length.

The 4th Louisiana was part of Quarles’ Brigade during the Battle of Pickett’s Mill and was the only regiment in that brigade to participate in the battle. Quarles’ Brigade was sent from the New Hope Church area, during the battle, to reinforce Cleburne who used the brigade as a reserve force for his right flank. The 4th Louisiana was engaged in the cornfield fight.

Part 1.

“Excepting Colonel Allen, the 4th LA’s leadership had been uninspiring up until now. The men of the 4th LA had not seen anything yet. Their leadership would get steadily worse and there would be more sweating, digging, chopping, and fortifying. On May 23, 1864, Polk’s Corps and Quarles’ Brigade (4th LA) were orders back to Georgia. Joe Johnston had replaced the blundering Braxton Bragg as leader of the Army of Tennessee.

The company was small but the men were healthy and well fed at this time. They all had shoes. On May 22nd, a steamer pulled up to Bon Secour Landing and loaded the 4th LA and their baggage. Then they were back to Blakely’s Wharf. They arrived at the landing at sunset, but the river boat failed to arrive. They spent another cold and rainy night in the open. The steamer arrived the next evening. Three hours later they were at Tensas Landing. Packed into boxcars, they were quickly on their way toward Pollard, Alabama, fifty-two miles away.

At one place in Alabama a troup of school girls threw their dinners into the cars. Some of the bundles were accompanied by notes signed by the girls. They changed cars at Pollard and again at West Point and Atlanta. The regiment arrived at Newton, Georgia, at daylight May 26th. There they detrained for four hours on rumors of an expected Yankee raid. Trains arrived at Atlanta at 2 PM and the men drew rations. Their next stop was Marietta, Georgia. They arrived there at 5 PM. There they began the eighteen-mile march to New Hope Church.

In the fighting around Atlanta, both sides depended on railroads to move and sustain their forces. From start to finish the battle was a railroad campaign. The prize was the major transportation center of Atlanta. Union General Sherman, trying to flank Joe Johnston’s Army of Tennessee, found himself blocked along an extended front centered on New Hope Church. The Tirailleurs had no familiarity with the area, no maps, no news, and no idea what they were marching into. All they knew was that they were to be part of General Leonidus Polk’s Corps and Joe Johnston needed them.

On May 26, 1864, the evening was calm. The trees were all green and the air was fragrant with wild flowers. The mixed pine and oak woods were filled with honeysuckle, which in these parts was a rich crimson color. The Tirailleurs were raised in the vast monotonous flatness of the Mississippi Delta (la terre plonge) and marching up a hill was something novel to these men. A stream in West Baton Rouge was slow moving, black, and overgrown on its banks. Streams in Georgia were fast running, noisy, and rocky. To a man the Tirailleurs would have swapped the beauty of this place for their pre-war flatness and peace.

The Acadians proceeded in a column of fours through the heavily wooded Georgia hills. The all night hike to New Hope Church was made without stopping for food or rest. The officers of the Tirailleurs encouraged the men onward. The sharp sounds of musketry became louder. The hollow, base symphony of cannon firing in woods came closer. Bernard Moses struck up his brass band. The music helped the footsore Tirailleurs make another mile. The wind began to whip up.

Three hundred and sixty officers and men of the 4th LA joined the rear of the battle line at dawn. The 4th LA arrived in time to be drenched by a sudden downpour. The noise of Rebel cannon was mixed with a background of lightning and thunder. The 4th LA was moved forward to a position at the rear of New Hope Church (present day Georgia Highway 381) and each man was issued forty rounds of ammunition. Third Lieutenant Numa Hebert was shot by a sharpshooter the same day. He was wounded in the left hand.

That is it for now; I’ll post more later.

Thanks,

Comment

Eallo all!

The following is Colonel Payne's account of the 124th Ohio regiment in the Atlanta campaign from the ORs. The original pages can be accessed here:

__________________________________________________ ____
                          HDQRS. 124TH REGIMENT OHIO VOL. INFANTRY,
                          Atlanta, Ga., September 13, 1864.
                          CAPTAIN: I would respectfully submit the following report of the.
                          part taken by the One hundred and twenty-fourth Regiment Ohio
                          Foot Volunteers in the campaign just closed, and would also in-•
                          elude the Ninety-third Ohio Foot Volunteers, from May 6 to August
                          19,jt being placed during that time under my command by the
                          general commanding the brigade:
                          The battalion on the 3d of May, after a short rest of but two weeks
                          from a hard and continuous campaign in East Tennessee, broke

camp at McDonald’s Station and marched to Catoosa Springs, reach-
                          ing the Springs on the 4th. On the 9th, the command having moved
                          ~‘ ~ confronted the enemy’s position at Buzzard Roost, this bat-
                          talion forming the of the right line, with the~Twenty-third
                          Kentucky deployed as skirmishers in front, was ordered to make a
                          demonstration on Rocky Face Ridge, where the enemy were posted
                          in force. Obeying the sound of the bugle, the battalion advanced up
                          the sides of the nuiountain, passing over the skirmish line, which had
                          been checked by the fire of the enemy, until it reached a perpendicu-
                          lar ledge of rocks about forty feet from the summit of the ridge;

here the battalion remained for several hours, inflicting by their fir-
                          ing considerable damage upon the enemy. The object of the dem-
                          onstration being accomplished the battalion fell back to the foot
                          of the ridge. The One hundred and twenty-fourth lost in this
                          movement 2 enlisted men killed and 12 wounded; the Ninety-third
                          Ohio, 4 enlisted men wounded. On the 10th, 11th, and 112th the
                          battalion lay under the fire of the enemy without loss. On the night
                          of the 12th, the enemy having evacuated his position, at daylight
                          the command followed them up, passing through Dalton, bivonack-
                          ing for the night a few miles south of the village. At daylight the
                          next morning the pursuit was continued, and about noon of the 14th
                          the enemy were overtaken, strongly posted in front of Resaca. This
                          battalion, forming the left of the front line of the brigade, was
                          ordered to relieve a battalion of the Twenty-third Corps, which,
                          finding most miserably posted on the slope of a lull, scattered along
                          behind the trees, and resembling more a skirmish line than a line of
                          battle, I ordered the battalion to charge and take a ridge within 200
                          yards of their main line of works, which was most handsomely and
                          gallantly done with but slight loss. This position the battalion held
                          and during the night strengthened with fortifications, remaining here
                          until the enemy evacuated his position. On the afternoonof the 15th
                          orders were received to assault the enemy’s works in our front, it being
                          understood that a general assault was to be made along the whole line,
                          commencing with the division on our immediate left. At about ip.
                          in., in obedience to orders from our brigade commander, the bat-
                          talion moved to the attack, but this being the only brigade moved
                          forward the enemy concentrated a murderous fire on both flanks as
                          well as our front and easily and badly repulsed us. During the night
                          the enemy abandoned his position and fell back to the south of the
                          Oostenaula River. In the operations before Resaca, the Ninety-third
                          sustained a loss of 4 enlisted men killed and 16 wounded. The One
                          hundred and twenty-fourth, 5 enlisted men killed and 29 wounded.
                          In the pursuit of the enemy through Calhoun to Adairsville, the
                          battalion was constantly skirmishing with the enemy, sustaining,
                          however, but slight loss. At Adairsville we came up to them
                          strongly posted, and the battalion spent the night of the 17th in
                          gaining and fortifying a position preparatory to operations in the
                          morning, but daylight found the position in our front evacuated,
                          and the pursuit continued to Cassville; here a much needed rest of
                          several days was given to the command. On the 23d active move-
                          ments against the enemy were resumed, and on the 26th, the command
                          having crossed Burnt Hickory Ridge, came upon the enemy posted’
                          near Dallas. During the night of the 26th the battalion was actively
                          engaged in gaining amid fortifying a position within a few hundred
                          yards of the enemy’s position. At daylight May 27, having just
                          completed the fortifications, the battalion was relieved with the divis-
                          ion and massed near Pickett’s Mills preparatory to making an as-
                          sault on the enemy’s right flank. The column of assault was formed
                          with two battalions front, this battalion occuping the left of the
                          front line, with skirmishers thrown out from both regiments; thus
                          formed, at about 12 in., the movement commenced.

Advancing to the left of our army about two miles, encountering
                          only the cavalry of the enemy, which were easily driven before us,
                          we came up to their fortified position. Expecting that we were
                          now near their right flank, we were moved back some forty yards, and
                          about 1,000 yards farther to our left, when the lines were rectified

preparatory to making the assault. At 4p. m. the final attack was
                          made. This battalion moved briskly forward through a thick woods,
                          coming np with the skirmish line at the foot of a deep ravine, where
                          it had been stopped by a rapid fire from the opposite hill, the sides
                          of which were thickly covered with an almost impenetrable thicket
                          and in many places were almost perpendicular. Here, stopping long
                          enough to rectify the lines, I ordered them forward, the battalion
                          gaining the hill, and had advanced a few yards from the crest to
                          within about thirty paces of the enemy’s works, when it was met
                          with such a withering fire from the front and each flank that it was
                          checked and compelled to find shelter behind the crest of the hill.
                          So rapid and close was the fire, that seeing that it would be imprac-
                          ticable to make another effort to carry the works with the battalion,
                          now much depleted, I ordered the battalion to cover themselves as
                          well as possible and hold the position, expecting every moment to be
                          re-enforced by the second line. It not niaking its appearance, I seiit
                          an officer to find it and to communicate to the general commanding
                          the brigade my position. Still the line did not come, and not until
                          I had held the position for nearly an hour did any re-enforceinents
                          come up to the position the battalion occupied, and then only the
                          left of one of the hues of the First Brigade, which indifferently
                          lapped the right wing of my battalion, reached me in strength so
                          weak that a feeble effort to advance beyond my position ~as easily
                          repulsed by the enemy. Not hearing from the general, I now dis-
                          patched another officer to him for orders, but he, as well as the offi-
                          cer I had previously sent, I learned afterward, failed to find any one
                          in authority. A little before dark the Ninety-third Ohio and Com-
                          panies I and B, of the One hundred and twenty-fourth, seeing the left
                          give way, and supposing that the whole line had been ordered back,
                          fell back with them, and reformed with the brigade which had been
                          relieved and ordered to the rear. Not receiving any order myself,
                          I maintained my present position with the rest of my battalion until
                          7.30 o’clock; when it becoming quite dark, and feeling apprehensive
                          that should the enemy make an offensive movement, the rosition
                          could not be held, I started myself to report the situation, but had just
                          reached the rear when the rebels suddenly and in large force attacked
                          the battalion, which, seeing that it would be impossible to main-
                          tain their position, fell back before them into the new line already
                          established, where the battalion was collected and placed in position
                          on the line, not being again engaged while the enemy occupied the.
                          position in our front, though constantly under fire, on account of
                          the close proximity of the lines. This attack, though unsuccessful,
                          was made by the battalion with spirit and marked bravery, and I
                          venture to say no more honest or bold attempt to carry the enemy’s
                          works has occurred during the campaign. Every officer and enlisted
                          man in this battalion, as far as my observation extended, behaved
                          with great gallantry, and, if valor and heroism could have gained
                          the point, would most assuredly have succeeded. At no time did
                          the battalion become in the least disorganized, and had orders
                          reached me at the same time the brigade received them to retire,
                          the battalion could have withdrawn in order, bringing off all its
                          wounded and dead; as it was, some were of necessity left on the field.
                          In the operations of the day the Ninety-third sustained a loss of 11
                          enlisted men killed, 32 wounded, and 6 missing. One hundred and
                          twenty-fourth, 1 officer killed, 3 mortally wounded, and 3 severely
                          wounded. 14 enlisted men killed, 41 wounded, and 10 missing. The

loss in officers to the One hundred and twenty-fourth Ohio was irrep-
                          arable. Major Hampson, temporarily serving on the staff of the
                          gener~d commanding the division, an officer, who by his kind dis-
                          position, dash, and efficiency, as well as possessing all those finer
                          qualities which 4istinguish one officer above another, had become
                          greatly beloved and endeared to the regiment, was mortally woanded
                          early in the morning while superintending the construction of
                          epaulements to a battery. Lieutenant-Colonel Pickands, command-
                          ing the regiment, was severely wounded and his distinguished serv-
                          ices taken away from the regiment for the rest of the campaign.
                          Captain Irwin and Lieutenant Waldo, model soldiers, whose bravery
                          had been conspicuous on every battle-field the regiment had been
                          engaged in, were mortally wounded; Lieutenant Stedman, a stranger
                          to fear, killed; Lieutenant McGinnis, a very gallant officer, severely
                          wounded, and Captain Wilson, slightly wounded.
                          On the night of June 5, the enemy evacuating the position in our
                          front, the battalion at daylight occupied their works, and following
                          them up to within three miles of Acworth, went into camp, where
                          it remained until the morning of the 10th, when it took up position
                          confronting the enemy at Pine Knob. On the 15th the enemy evacu-
                          ated our immediate front. The Ninety-third Ohio was thrown out as
                          skirmishers, drove in the enemy’s pickets, and took up position within
                          a few hundred yards of their works. On the morning of the 17th,
                          the works in our front being evacuated, I was ordered to develop
                          their position; threw out a few companies of the Ninety-third as
                          skirmishers, advanced about two miles, driving in the ~enemy’s skir-
                          mish line and establishing our line about 1,000 yards from their
                          works. During the day the Ninety-third sustained a loss of 1 enlisted
                          man killed aiid 5 wounded. On the night of the 19th the enemy
                          evacuated our front, falling back to their last line in front of Mari-
                          etta. On the following morning a skirmish line from the One hun-
                          dred and twenty-fourth was advanced, driving the enemy into their
                          works. On the 21st the battalion was moved to the right, and re-
                          lieved a battalion of the Twentieth Army Corps. On the 23d the
                          Ninety-third, deployed as skirmishers, charged and drove back
                          the enemy, advancing our lines about 1,000 yards, with a loss to the
                          Ninety-third of 1 officer killed, 2 enlisted men killed, and 37 enlisted
                          men wounded. The battalion was no further engaged, with the ex-
                          ception of constant picket-firing, in which both battalions suffered,
                          the One hundred and twenty-fourth having 1 officer slightly
                          wounded, until the enemy evacuated their position, which they did
                          I he night of July 3. In the pursuit of the enemy to the Chattahoo-
                          chee River, the One hundred and twenty-fourth, on the morning of
                          the 5th, was deployed as skirmishers, and vigorously pushed the rear
                          guard of the enemy to and across the river, with a loss of 1 enlisted
                          man killed and 5 wounded. On the 12th the battalion crossed the
                          Chattahoochee and took up position on the south side of the river.
                          On the 17th the battalion moved down opposite Vining’s Station; de-
                          tails from both regiments briskly skirmished with the enemy
                          without loss. That evening the battalion returned to its former
                          position. From the 17th to the 21st of July the battalion was more
                          or less engaged in obtaining the position before Atlanta which it
                          afterward held, with but slight loss, until August 25. On the night
                          of August 25 the battalion joined in the movement to the right
                          and rear of Atlanta; on the 29th ultimo assisting in the destruction
                          of the Montgomery railroad; on the 1st instant marching to Jones-

borough, and on the 2d to Lovejoy’s Station, where the battalion
                          remained till the night of the 5th, when it joined in the retrogra(le
                          movement to Atlanta, which place it reached on the 8th instant. But
                          few casualties occurred during this movement, as the battalion was
                          at no time engaged.
                          My thanks are due to Lieutenant-Colonel Bowman, commanding
                          the• Ninety-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, for the able manner in
                          which he handled his regiment; and I desire to make honorable men-
                          tion of the subordinate officers of his regiment, as well as those of
                          the One hundred and twenty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, all of
                          whom did their duty most gallantly from first to last.
                          Accompanying this report I send a list of casualties, to which I
                          call the general’s especial attention.
                          I have the honor to remain, your obedient servant,
                          0.11. PAYNE,
                          Colonel 124th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
                          Capt. JOHN CROWELL, Jr.,
                          Asst. Adjt. Gen., 2d Brig., 3d Div., 4/h Army Corps.
                          [Inclosure.]
                          __________________________________________________ __

There is also a list of the 124th's casualties taken on the Atlanta campaign on page 444, but the OCR for the chart turned out extraordinarily funky...

also, here's a short site with some very basic information on the 124th Ohio:

I am in earnest,

Comment

124th Ohio roster

Eallo!

I am in earnest,

Comment

Re: 124th Ohio roster

great information but, the US impression for the mill is the 5TH KEN. the 124th was fighting about 300 yards from where we will be. the impression was change a while back , our webmaster missed it.
                              john
                              Last edited by Cleaveland; 04-21-2004, 07:53 PM.
                              [FONT=Georgia]John Cleaveland[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X