Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A routine patrol

SCENARIO

In late August 2002 the MOOCOWS put on their inaugural event at Land Between The Lakes. Portraying an 1862 company of the 83rd Illinois fresh off the steamer at Fort Henry going straight into the countryside searching for guerillas, we contended with 97 degree/100% humidity weather and every biting insect known to man. When it was over we had a deep respect for those gentlemen who didn't get to go home after the weekend but had to soldier on. It's eighteen months later and the 83rd is still on garrison in the same area, fighting off the occasional cavalry raid and routinely patrolling for local guerillas. No glorious bayonet charges seizing the enemy colors, just boredom, disease and the occasional shot in the back. On March 12th - 14th we'll once again go on patrol as the 83rd Illinois, keeping the roads clear between Fort Henry and Fort Donelson as the war drones on into 1864.

DATE/DETAILS

We'll go live at 10 PM Friday, March 12th and end by 10 AM Sunday, March 14th. Once we begin you'll not be able to return to your vehicle until the event is over. Rations will be issued to all, no carrying supplemental food, no exceptions (unless there's a medical need for a special diet). There will be an inspection Friday evening to make sure haversacks are empty. Our preservation focus will be the Pickett's Mill Rail Drive. The scenario allows enough flexibility that you may choose between short, slow marches or come what may. Everyone attending will be expected to act in a military manner, obey officers and NCOs, stand guard duty as required, etc.

REGISTRATION

Federal registration is open to anyone willing to meet the guidelines, Confederate is strictly invitation only. Registration fee will be $20 of which $8 goes to rations, $2 for LBL camping fees & $10 goes to Pickett's Mill Rail Drive. There will be a door prize included and additional raffle(s) to buy more rails. I don't want anyone to miss this because of the money so contact me if money's tight.

Registration can be by check or money order mailed to:

John Duffer
    111 Acklen Park Drive
    E-204
    Nashville, Tennessee 37203

Or you may register by email at jduff@gspnet.com and pay on site. If you choose this route you owe the money whether you attend or not and will be hounded to the ends of the earth for payment.

Both methods require emergency contact name and number, special medical conditions or allergies and specification of short&slow or long&fast marching preference.

IMPRESSION

83rd Illinois in March of 1864. We're veteran troops with 18 months service in. With regular river traffic landing at Donelson and Henry we should be reasonably well supplied. Our focus is more on uniformity than the quality of the stitching on your cartridge box. Items are listed in order of preference:

1. Army issue hat (Hardee) 2. Black civilian hat 3. Issue forage cap, type 1 or 2
    1. Issue sack coat
    1. Issue sky blue trousers
    1. Issue shirt - gray 2. Issue shirt any color 3. Civilian shirt
    1. Issue brogans 2. Civilian shoes 3. Boots
    1. Issue socks 2. Civilian socks
    1. US double bag knapsack 2. Blanket roll
    1. Smoothside canteen 2. Bullseye straps can be leather or linen/cotton, gray/brown jean covers preferred
    1. Issue blanket 2. Civilian blanket
    1. 53 Enfield 2. 61 Springfield 3. 42 Springfield
    ALL leather gear to be black, everyone should have a bayonet
    No modern eyeglasses, jewelry, wristwatches, bandanas or hat brass.
    No rank insignia unless carrying rank at this event

Loaner gear is available if you're missing an item.

This event will take place at the Fort Henry Trails section of Land Between The Lakes, about three miles west of Fort Donelson National Park and Dover, Tennessee. Detailed directions to parking locations will be issued later.

John Duffer
    jduff@gspnet.com
    615-297-5509 night
    615-770-8150 day
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Re: A routine patrol

Count me in, as I will be returning from Furlough, and ready for duty.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

To really get the feel for what was happening at Ft. Donelson, go to the "Iowa in the civil war" website http://lserver.aea14.k12.ia.us/iaciv...ilwarindex.htm and read the letters of Mitchell Thompson, who served in the 83rd Ill. during the period we will be recreating. Lots of good info there for 1st person/background.

As a side note, two later well known "legendary"individuals who served in the unit were Wyatt and Virgil Earp, both of Co. "C".
      Another interesting note is that Co. "B" was commanded by Capt. John McClanahan-at the time we are portraying he was in his 68th year of life!

The Eighty-third Infantry was organized at Monmouth in August, 1862, by Colonel A.C. Harding, and was mustered into the United States' service August 21.

Companies A, B, C, F and H were recruited in Warren County; D, in Mercer: E. G. I. And K, in Knox. The Regiment moved from camp August 25, via Burlington and St. Louis to Cairo, arriving there the 20th, and reporting to Brigadier General Tuttle, commanding post. September 3, moved to Fort Henry. On the 5th moved to Fort Donelson, leaving two companies at Fort Helman and three at Fort Henry. The Regiment remained at Fort Donelson during the year. Colonel W. W. Lowe, Fifth Iowa Cavalry, commanding Brigade.

The companies at Forts Henry and Helman subsequently rejoined the Regiment and it remained at Fort Donelson until September 20, 1863, when the right wing moved to Clarksville. The Regiment had heavy guard duty to perform and as the whole country, especially the banks of the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers, were infested with guerrillas, we had daily skirmishes with the enemy. Some of them were quite severe, as at Waverly, Tenn., and at Garretsburg, Ky., where the lamented General Ranson, then Colonel of the Eleventh Illinois , had command.

On the 3rd of February, 1863, at Fort Donelson, nine companies of the Eighty-third, with Company C, Second Illinois Light Artillery, successfully resisted the attack of Forrest and Wheeler with 8,000 men. The battle lasted from 1:30 until 8:30 o'clock P.M., when the enemy was compelled to retire with a loss of 800 killed and wounded. The loss of the Regiment was 13 killed and 51 wounded. Colonel Harding was promoted to Brigadier General for gallant conduct on this occasion and Lieutenant Colonel A. A. Smith to Colonel. Among the killed were Captain P. E. Reed, Company A, Lieutenant Harmon D. Bissell, Quartermaster of the Regiment, and First Sergeant James Campbell, Company C. Among the wounded was Captain John McClanahan, of Company B, who while in the act of changing position to meet an attack, was wounded with a minnie ball, from the effects of which he died February 23.

On the morning of the 20th of August, 1864, Captain William M. Turnbull, of Company B, with eleven of his company, left Fort Donelson in pursuit of a party of five guerrillas, who were making their way to the Tennessee River with a lot of horses, but failing to overtake them he was overpowered while returning to his command by a party of guerrillas secreted in the timber, and he and seven of his men were killed, while one had both his legs broken, but he was afterward cowardly murdered by guerrillas, who found him lying helpless in a barn where some humane citizen had taken him for safety. But three of the party escaped to tell the sad fate of their companions.

While at Clarksville the Regiment was engaged in several expeditions under Major General L. H. Rousseau in pursuit of Forrest and Wheeler, who were attempting the destruction of General Sherman's communications.

During the year 1864, the Regiment had some two hundred miles of communications to guard and much heavy patrol duty. During the winter of 1864-'65, the Eighty-third was on provost duty at Nashville, Tenn.

Before the muster out of the Regiment, the following order was received by Colonel Smith commanding.

HEADQUARTERS DISTRICT OF MIDDLE TENNESSEE
      Nashville, Tenn., May 31, 1865

Colonel A. A. Smith, Commanding Fifth Sub. District Middle Tennessee.

Dear Colonel - By an order just received the troops of 1862 will be mustered out of services. Your Regiment will go out under that order. I am unwilling to part with you and your officers and men without expressing my highest commendation of the soldierly bearing and gentlemanly conduct of all during the time they have been under my command. At the time when I most needed brave men and steady soldiers to drive Wheeler and Forrest out of the district I was but too happy to avail myself of the services of as many of your Regiment as could be spared for that duty. And relying greatly upon them I was not disappointed in their deportment.

I have not been troubled with complaints against them for disorderly conduct and marauding, but their deportment in the army and community has been brave and soldierly, proving that the brave man and true soldier is always honest and just. I can truly say I do not know a regiment in the service whose brave and soldierly bearing more fully entitles it to the respect and gratitude of the country than the Eighty-third Infantry, and you and they will take with you, individually and collectively, my sincere thanks for your efficient services and my kindest wishes for your future welfare in all things.

I am, Colonel, very truly, etc.
      Lovel H. Rosseau.
      Major General Commanding

On the 26th of June the Regiment was mustered out at Nashville and moved to Chicago, Brevet Brigadier General Arthur A. Smith commanding, where it received final pay and discharge July 4 1865.
      Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Re: A routine patrol update No 1

Additional details and minor updates.

SCENARIO

A group of partisans has been surprised by Federal cavalry near the Great Western Iron Furnace, losing their mounts and most of their number. As many as half a dozen have escaped on foot and are thought to be moving South. Twin columns of Federal infantry commanded by Tim Prince and Nate Petersburg will be moving out from Fort Henry and Fort Donelson to try and intercept these gentlemen.

REGISTRATION

Rounds will be issued at the event. Bring an empty cartridge box and cap box as well as an empty haversack. Registration fee is $20 of which $10 goes for rations, rounds, camping fee & entry in our door prize drawing. The other $10 goes to the Pickett's Mill Rail Drive. We'll hold an onsite raffle to raise additional funds for the drive. Mr. Joe Hofmann of the Jersey Skilletlicker has donated a blue variant Federal issue shirt for the raffle and $5 gets a shot at this $125 value. This event is only a month away - please get your registrations in. We'll go live at 10PM Friday night and will be moving out after forming up and issuing rations and rounds.

DIRECTIONS

Federal registration will be at Land Between The Lake's South Welcome Station.

West on Highway 79 from Dover about three miles past Fort Donelson National Battlefield.

Turn right (North) on "The Trace" across the street from McDonalds.

North 3.4 miles, South Welcome Station is on the right.

THEY ALSO SERVE WHO ONLY STAND AND WAIT

If you don't feel like marching in the woods but want to assist, we need folks to help at registration, shuttle troops, direct late arrivals, etc. Those in the Nashville area that want to attend a round rolling party prior to the event would be welcome as well.

John Duffer
        jduff@gspnet.com
        615-770-8150 days
        615-297-5509 night
        John Duffer
        Independence Mess
        MOOCOWS
        WIG

Comment

John,

I know I would love to go, but many of us in GA have already made commitments long ago to Andersonville that weekend. Maybe the next one.

Good luck,
          Jim Butler
          The SRR
          Jim Butler

Comment

Official Update No. 2

To date we have forwarded $415 in donations from participants to the Pickett's Mill Rail Drive. This is about five rods towards our event goal to build eight rods of fence and I think we'll make it between additional registrations and the onsite raffle.

Registration is closed for citizens and partisans, we'll take Federal infantry till step off time - Company F under Nate Petersburg for those who want to push themselves a bit more, Company B under Tim Prince for those with nothing to prove. This will be a real change of pace for those who routinely do the 'battles at 10 & 2 and/or public demo every two hours' type of things with more of a chance to experience in some small degree what a soldier in the 83rd Illinois would have been doing in March of 64, on the actual ground where he did it.

Rules Of Engagement -
            Citizens, partisans and Federal soldiers are all subject to being captured or arrested. If this happens it's at the discretion of the column commander what to do with the detainees. You should be mentally prepared to remain in custody for the remainder of the event if that's the call and at the least may have food, cartridges, or even clothing taken from you. All personal property will be returned by the end of the event. Casualty resolution will also be the responsibility of the column commanders and all will be making an effort to show reasonable fear of gunfire at realistic ranges.

For more information
            John Duffer
            jduff@gspnet.com
            615-297-5509 night
            615-770-8150 day
            John Duffer
            Independence Mess
            MOOCOWS
            WIG

Comment

Re: A routine patrol - Weather watch

Fri
              Mar 12 Sunny 48°/27° 10 %

Sat
              Mar 13 Few Showers 52°/41° 30 %

Sun
              Mar 14 Partly Cloudy 65°/49° 10 %
              Last edited by BrianHicks; 03-10-2004, 12:28 PM.
              Brian Hicks
              Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Re: A routine patrol - Final Update

We've now forwarded $485 total to the Pickett's Mill Rail Drive, just $175 from our goal. Chris Daley has donated an early war shelter half for our onsite raffle. Raffle tickets are $10, the winner getting their choice of the shelter half or the issue shirt donated by Joe Hofmann, second place gets the other and there will be a book for third place. Both Mr. Daley and Mr. Hofmann called me on their own and asked what they could do to help, I didn't approach them. I think this is outstanding and hope folks will remember to support these gentlemen that support battlefield preservation.

We'll be accepting Federal infantry registrations till we move out Friday night so it's still not too late. The weather looks great, come out and enjoy the early Spring.

DIRECTIONS

Federal registration will be at Land Between The Lake's South Welcome Station.

West on Highway 79 from Dover about three miles past Fort Donelson National Battlefield.

Turn right (North) on "The Trace" across the street from McDonalds.

North 3.4 miles, South Welcome Station is on the right.
                John Duffer
                Independence Mess
                MOOCOWS
                WIG

Comment

Fri
                  Mar 12 Sunny 48°/23° 0 %
                  It's ging to be damned cold Friday Night! >D

Sat
                  Mar 13 Partly Cloudy 51°/45° 20 %

Sun
                  Mar 14 Mostly Cloudy 68°/50° 20 %
                  Brian Hicks
                  Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Micro AAR/Event Report

We raised $705 for Pickett's Mill and we've gone 48 hours without a death or serious injury that can be directly tied to our negligence so by official MOOCOWS standards this was a success. It was in the very low 20s Friday night and rained Saturday night, Nate "Captain Mercury" Petersburg's Bloodhound Gang did over 20 miles and the gallant Tim Prince's Fat Old Men column did at least 13. Over 50% of both groups were doing their first immersion type event. Guess how many gentlemen left early ?
                    John Duffer
                    Independence Mess
                    MOOCOWS
                    WIG

Comment

John - based on the leadership, I would guess less than 10% left early, and all had a good reason.

Wow - $705 for fence rails. Sounds like you bought enough for the entire patrol to stand behind. Congrats!
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Actually no body left early. Being a few miles from the cars and totally lost was certainly a factor but the attitude of those attending was excellent. Petersburg's platoon had to take off shoes and socks and wade a creek in the first 100 yards (bear in mind it's 23 degrees) and not a man balked. I was proud of all attending. The ones who were there wanted to be there and it showed.
                        John Duffer
                        Independence Mess
                        MOOCOWS
                        WIG

Comment

John-
                          On behalf of the members of the CBB who attended this event, we want to thank you for allowing us to participate. Out of the 8 civilians with our group, only half had ever attended an immersion event before. What an experience for them, and for us "veterans!" This was truly different from civilian immersive events we've attended in the past as we are typically afforded a cabin to park ourselves and our gear at and don't move until the event is over. Instead, we kept moving from early Saturday morning until late Saturday afternoon, covering a distance of roughly 8 miles. Then, when we had our rude awakening at 3:30 Sunday morning and made the decision to vacate our refugee hideaway, we covered another 3 or so miles in the dark, forging the trail by touch. It gave us a much better understanding of civilians who had no choice but to keep moving, no matter how tired, wet or hungry you might be. Again, I appreciate you allowing us to come out and play with the MOOCOWS. We had a wonderful time and look forward to working with you again sometime.
                          [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Book Antiqua]Candace Rose
                          [/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you to John and the others for all their hard work and for hosting such a great event. It was a true experience being a partisan with John! Thanks and looking forward to the next one.
                            [B]Justin Morris[/B]
                            [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
                            "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Working...
                            X