Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shiloh Nat'l Park LH

Gentlemen,

The Salt River Rifles have been personally invited to conduct a Federal, authentic, LH program at the Shiloh National Military Park on the anniversary weekend April 2-4, 2004. This is a huge opportunity as it is difficult to get approval to do this on that weekend and they have not had many quality, authentic, Federal programs at the park. Participation is very limited and this is not to conflict with Mansfield. This program is just an option to those that will not or can not get out to Mansfield. The park is providing us two Sibley tents to help us create an authentic camp. The weekend will mainly be demonstrations for the public thru presentations, drills and vignettes presented to the public. Annivesary weekend can be very busy at the park and the park is excited about offering the visitors a quality Federal program. In the evenings we will have interaction with the Homespun LH Guild at the Nance cabin near the Peach Orchard.

Please review the following linked page for the event and contact me for an invitation.

This page is also linked to the SRR 'Schedule' page as well at:

Slots are limited, so please contact me soon to be put on the roster. We also ask that you not be put on the roster unless you are truly committed to attending as we will reserve your slot for you at no cost to you up front. You must reply to me by March 20th at unionguy1@comcast.net. We would like to donate $20 per person to the park if you can spare it.

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    The SRR
    Jim Butler

Corrected Link...

The link was incorrect for the Shiloh LH. The correct link is:

Sorry,
    Jim Butler
    The SRR
    Jim Butler

Comment

Guideline Revisions

Here are Guidelines modifications:
      Research on what packs were used is difficult to find. Double bags were not issued till later in the war and I mentioned that item as most folks have one. The research I have found shows that many changes were made to the design of the early knapsacks (mainly to the welts). But, I do not claim to be an ultimate authority on this and if anyone has any resources, please share. Certainly, blanket rolls are acceptable as well. If you bring a late war knapsack, we just ask that you stow it in the Sibley during vistor hours.

In regards to weapons. I certainly believe a mixture of weapons would have been in the field. The 8th Illinois had been in the field longer than most regiments (having moved during Belmont (not engaged) and fought at Donelson) and might have gotten some consistency in arms by then. I have already made exceptions to allow some other arms (1842 Springfield, 1842 Rifle Musket, maybe even the 1816 Musket and Remington conversion). I have not updated the guidelines to reflect this yet but I will allow these weapons. However the preferred weapons are the ones on the guideline list. Actually, it would be nice if some folks would attend with a few of these other wepaons to show to the public and explain how the armies were not very standardized yet.

Event info and Guidelines are at:

Note, that I must turn in a roster by March 27th to the park. So, please contact me if you are planning to attend at unionguy1@comcast.net . Numbers are limited.

Thanks & Regards,
      Jim Butler
      The Salt River Rifles
      Jim Butler

Comment

Re: Shiloh Nat'l Park LH

Jim,

The knapsack pictured in the first two pictures on the left hand side of this web page was at Shiloh.

The knapsack on the left, belonging to an injured Charles L. Cogar, a private in the 2nd Iowa, company F was brought home upon his discharge from Camp Montgomery, MS (southeast of Corinth), July 21, 1862.

He was injured at Fort Pillow and stayed with the unit until his discharge here in Corinth(information above). I also own his blanket and overcoat straps and the frame for the knapsack.

Hope this will help clear up any knapsack questions.

David

Comment

Jim - thanks for limiting the 142nd anniversary of Shiloh event to a small LH not-to-interphere with Mansfield event - I had an ancestor killed at Shiloh so will be driving up to pay my respects after Mansfield...wish I could do both. Good luck.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

David,

Thanks for the info. I had already corrected our guidelines regarding knapsacks as follows:

Knapsacks (Optional):
            * U.S. issue hard packs, Model 1855 double bags or Early war variant. You may bring your late war (post 1862 or 1864) double bag, but it must be left out of view in the Sibley.
            * Blanket Rolls are also allowed.

I was trying to avoid having reenactors show up with all the late war models that are out there (as most reenactors I know own a late war model). Thanks for the research info and I hope my modifications help clarify things.

Doug...yes the numbers are very limited for two reasons. 1) To not interfere with Mansfield and 2) To set the ground work for a larger LH next year.

Regards,
            Jim Butler
            The SRR
            Jim Butler

Comment

Update

This is a final call to get your name on the roster for the Shiloh Nat'l Military Park LH on April 2-4, 2004 as we only have a few slots left. I must submit a roster by March 22nd to the park.
              Please review the event info at:

Some additional news regarding the event:
              A film crew will be present to film new movies for the Shiloh and Corinth Park Visitor Centers. We have been asked to help with the shooting on early Saturday morning. If you have seen the movie the park currently has, you know how badly they need a new one. Thus, your prescense would really be helpful.

The park also requests:
              All cartridge boxes have proper tins.
              All cap pouches are lined with wool.
              All powder is FFg.

I would recommend you bring 20 rounds as opposed to the 10 I stated previously.

Also, If one or two of you could bring an A-frame that would also be helpful.

Regards & Thanks,
              Jim Butler
              The Salt River Rifles
              unionguy1@comcast.net
              Jim Butler

Comment

From the 28 Mar Daily Corinthian:

Annual living history event set
                SHILOH, Tenn. -- The cannons will roar, muskets will fire and soldiers and cavalry will move across the battlefield once again as Shiloh National Military Park marks the 142nd anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh.
                The park will host its annual living history weekend in recognition of the anniversary on April 3 and 4. Activities begin at 8 a.m. each day.
                “The Civil War will be revisited as volunteer re-enactors present interpretive programs to demonstrate 1860s military tactics and historic small arms and artillery weapons firings in observance of the 142nd anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh,” said Park Superintendent Woody Harrell.
                The Battle of Shiloh marked the first major land battle in the war’s western theater and proved to be one of the bloodiest of the entire war.
                “For the first time death, carnage and destruction impacted on tens of thousands of homes, both Northerner and Southerner alike,” said Harrell. “At the end of this bloody and ferocious battle, claimed 23,746 casualties on the once quiet and peaceful Shiloh battlefield.”
                A full schedule of demonstrations and activities are planned for the weekend. A confederate encampment on the western edge of Cloud Field will be open to the public from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. on April 3 and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on April 4. The camp will be filled with re-enactors ready to share with visitors the daily challenges of the common soldier during the war.
                Jim Kindred

Comment

Jim:

I'm looking forward to the trip down to Shiloh this weekend. I wanted to publicly thank Jim Butler for putting this together. Out of all the battlefields I've visited, Shiloh has impressed me the most in the way it has been maintained; the excellent staff on-site the extreme sense of awe that I get when I visit. The opportunity to do this event is an honor and a privilege.

Thanks to Jim for getting us in the door.

See you in Tennessee.
                  Last edited by Eric Tipton; 03-28-2004, 03:40 PM.
                  ERIC TIPTON
                  Former AC Owner

Comment

Re: Shiloh Nat'l Park LH AAR

Shiloh Nat’l Military Park Authentic Federal LH Program AAR
                    April 2-4, 2004

The Salt River Rifles were invited by Shiloh National Military Park to conduct an authentic, Federal program during their anniversary weekend. We portrayed the 8th Illinois Volunteer Infantry; Company I. Pictures of the event can be viewed at:

Our campsite was set up adjacent to the visitor’s center. The park was kind enough to allow us use of two of their Sibley tents which was a new experience for many of us. A small drill field had been designated and roped off for our presentations. The location allowed us a lot of interaction with the public. As this was the anniversary weekend, the park was expecting over 3000 visitors a day.
                    Friday night everyone arrived and we set up camp. We shared our camp with three reenactors doing naval impressions as well. We had about 17 men for the weekend. Friday was rather cold, but we fared well.
                    Saturday we awoke, cooked breakfast and prepared for a busy day of presentations for the visitors. Every hour and a half we conducted a 20-minute drill. In rotation we performed bayonet drill, company drill with firing demo and skirmish drill. Patrick Peterson was kind enough to offer his bugling services to us on Saturday as well. We also conducted a pay call, mail call and punishment of a thief. The park had over 4000 visitors on Saturday and the park was very pleased with our presentations. Saturday evening we went to the Manse cabin near the Peach Orchard to visit with the authentic civilians from the Homespun Living History Guild. They had gone to great lengths to prepare a correct, period meal for us at the cabin. The meal was top shelf and the men raved about it all night. Saturday evening was a bit warmer and we slept better that evening.
                    Sunday morning, Tim Smith, one of the Interpretive Rangers for the park, took us on a staff ride through the park showing us the actions and movements of the 8th Illinois Infantry during the battle. We then returned to our camp and continued our presentations to the public. Our event concluded at about 3 pm on Sunday. We also made a donation to the park as well. Many thanks to Joe Davis, Interpretive Ranger and Vickie Rumble for helping make this event happen. It is also worth noting that the Shiloh park staff were some of the kindest and most helpful people I have met. This event was a trial event and we plan on conducting a larger event next year at the park. So, if you would like to be part of this quality program, please put it on your calendar for next year and contact me with any questions at unionguy1@comcast.net.

Regards,
                    Jim Butler
                    The Salt River Rifles
                    Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
                    X