Top 10 Endangered Battlefields & Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Endangered Battlefields & Events

As you know, yesterday the CWPT announced the 2004 list of top 10 and top 25 endangered battlefields. I thought it was worth our taking note of what events / living histories / fundraising activies the hobby had planned that were in some way directly related to the battlefields on this list.

With the Pickett's Mill Rail Drive, the Mansfield raffle, this year's Burkittsville event and next year's South Mountain, and the living history at Wilson's Creek, we seem to have a lot of these covered, and it looks like our targeting is reasonably in sync with the preservation movement. Is there anything going on hobby-wise to aid any of the others battlefields on the list??

1. Chancellorsville, Virginia;
    Not aware of anything, other than ongoing support, admirably led by Dusty and others, of the CWPT's efforts re: the proposed development. Anyone know of anything else planned?

2. Fort Donelson, Tennessee;
    Not aware of anything going on, but as a Virginian, I tend to have an eastern theatre-centric view of what's going on.

3. Franklin, Tennessee;
    140th anniversary event in October, noted on CW News website:

4. Glendale, Virginia;(AKA Frayser's Farm, 5th Day of the Seven Days)
    Not aware of any activities planned and there's a big property development looming.

5. “The Hell Hole” (Pickett’s Mill, New Hope Church and Dallas), Georgia;
    This year's Pickett's Mill event and RAIL DRIVE!!

6. Mansfield, Louisiana
    Mansfield event, first w/e in April and Preservation Raffle:

7. Morris Island, South Carolina;
    folks this one is URGENT. Is there anything we as a hobby can do?

8. New Bern, North Carolina;
    Not aware of anything.

9. South Mountain, Maryland;
    This year's Burkittsville event http://www.burkittsville1862.org
    and next year's South Mountain event

10. Wilson’s Creek, Missouri
    Living history in August 2004:
    [IMG]http://www.cleydael.org/photos/kcsignature.gif[/IMG]
    Kathryn Coombs
    [URL=http://www.agsas.org]Cleydael Farm[/URL]
    (former civilian moderator of this here place until captured by film industry... missing my hobby!!)

Re: Top 10 Endangered Battlefields & Events

All,
    A point of clarification may be in order. This is an alphabetical list of the ten most endangered sites. There was no intent by the CWPT to rank order them.

If you are not a member of the CWPT, please join this national action organization which has saved over 19,000 acres of precious hallowed ground since its founding. www.civilwar.org

Cordially,

Comment

[QUOTE=

QUOTE]

Opponents of the developer's plan to put 20 luxury homes on Morris island are invited to join the Morris Island Coalition. To sign up for our mailing list, visit our website at www.morrisisland.org.

And, as Keith said, the CWPT is a powerful force in preserving these endangered treasures.
      www.civilwar.org.

Nora Kravec
      Morris Island Coalition

Comment

I remember driving through the Wilderness,summer 2002.I saw houses being
        built just afew hundered feet from the road.I like to know what the people moving in will think when they dig up buttons,bullets,bayonets,personal effects and maybe human bones?What will they say when they find out men died by the hundereds where they stand?I know some of you don't believe in ghost,but I hope the spirit of these brave men haunt those homes.

I also remember hearing abot how Disney wanted to build a Civil War Theme
        Park next to Manassas.I told my brother,his response,"daddy,daady,let's go to Gane Green Land.Maybe next we can go to Field Hospital World."

I wish people would realise that this is their history.It should not be forgotten what these men,and women,did and went through for their believes.I like what is said in a movie,"We can take a lesson from the dead".

Cullen Smith
        Bluegrass Rifles
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Fort Don.

"2. Fort Donelson, Tennessee;
          Not aware of anything going on, but as a Virginian, I tend to have an eastern theatre-centric view of what's going on."

For what its worth, there were some Virginia regiments there. Under Floyd I believe. Confederate by the way.

:)

John Pillers
          John Pillers
          Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Eastern-centric & western heritage

Point well taken! I meant that I was Eastern-centric in terms of modern day reenactor geography and more likely to attend events within relatively easy driving distance of where I live. I've got a pretty busy schedule and can only really budget time for one or two events per year that are more than a 5 hour drive from me.

In fact, most of my own ancestors who fought were in either the AOT or the Transmissisippi, apart from one Alabaman in Archer's Brigade and captured at Gettysburg & sent to Ft. Delaware.

I had two ggg uncles at Picketts Mill, three at Franklin (all three in the 10th Texas Infantry), and one of my ggg grandfathers died at Mansfield. He was in the 31st Texas Cavalry (dismounted) which was in Prince Poulignac's brigade under Gen. Mouton who also fell in this battle.

Hope this explains a bit better.
            [IMG]http://www.cleydael.org/photos/kcsignature.gif[/IMG]
            Kathryn Coombs
            [URL=http://www.agsas.org]Cleydael Farm[/URL]
            (former civilian moderator of this here place until captured by film industry... missing my hobby!!)

Comment

Re: Eastern-centric & western heritage

Originally posted by KLCoombs
              Certainly is folks! sign up at www.morrisisland.org!

Call YOUR Senator and/or State Representative in Washington and express your concern for this "National Monument". Use the Clara Barton quote for emphasis!!

Contact the National Parks folks in Washington and express your concern that they are not vocally condemning this project, both for the potential impact on Morris Island and that on the viewshed of Ft. Sumter.

Letters of support for this cause from around the country CAN make a difference. If the people of Charleston County know that the nation supports their cause of preservation, I'm certain it will bolster their resolve!!

I'll send you the stamps!!
              Last edited by SCSecesh; 02-25-2004, 10:13 PM.
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]David Chinnis[/FONT]
              Palmetto Living History Association
              [url]www.morrisisland.org[/url]

[i]"We have captured one fort--Gregg--and one charnel house--Wagner--and we have built one cemetery, Morris Island. The thousand little sand-hills that in the pale moonlight are a thousand headstones, and the restless ocean waves that roll and break on the whitened beach sing an eternal requiem to the toll-worn gallant dead who sleep beside."

Clara Barton
              October 11, 1863[/i]

Comment

With regard to what Dave is talking about, letters DID HELP defeat Dogwood Development at Chancellorsville.....

Write if you can. $0.37 for preservation.
                Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Kathryn - we will be marching in your ancestors footsteps at Mansfield and we will dedicate a mile of that 16 mile march to that brave soldier in the 31st TX cavalry (dismounted). The unit we portray will be the 15th TX, also a unit in Prince "Polecat's" Brigade. We are attending this event to save the battlefield...and I gotta tell ya, the effort Jim Campi and others are coordinating with media, legal, environmental, governmental and local and national preservation orgs is really something - and it all comes together at the event. No reason we cannot do it anywhere on the list with enough lead time.

Send me what you can on your ancestor. Of note, I had a note from another person with ancestor killed in the 31st Texas - will try to find the info. Her name was Peg Hoffman I believe and she lives in Louisiana.

Thanks,
                  Soli Deo Gloria
                  Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Miss Coombs,

Thank you for sharing the information about your ancestor who perished at Mansfield. One of mine, Pvt. James H. Teasley, was also in Mouton's Division, in the 28th LA Inf. He was fortunate enough to survive that fight and the rest of the War.

I will certainly keep your forebearer in my thoughts during our march from Mansfield to Pleasant Hill. He and others like him are the whole reason we'll be there. Could I respectfully impose upon you to provide us with his name?

Thank you again.
                    Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
                    Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

Working...
                    X