Clermont, Iowa 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clermont, Iowa 2004

I accidently posted this under the civilian section first...

Name: Camp Heritage
    Where: Clermont, Iowa (northeast Iowa)
    When: May 8-9, 2004
    What: 1863 Union Army Living History Camp
    (a 1st person total immersion Living History/Winter Encampment)

The following is paraphrased from the literature from the event.

Camp Heritage is at Clermont at Heritage Farm Park, which is adjacent to Montauk Mansion/State Preserve- the 1874 home of Iowa’s 12th Governor William Larabee. This is a first person total immersion event.

Scenario: the date is December, 1863 at the Union garrison camp in Woodville, Alabama. Soldiers will be portraying Iowa and Minnesota regiments assigned to the 15th Corps in the Army of the Tennessee. It is primarily a Federal event, but there will be a few Confederate prisoners. You might want to check with the event organizers if you want to do a Confederate impression. The camp will be set up per army regulations for a company, so you can bring an A-frame tent.

Rations: bring your own- only period food and period food wrapping (no coolers/modern packaging)

Schedule:
    Friday night: period ball at the Clermont Opera House
    Saturday & Sunday: will follow regulations/daily winter camp routine with reveille, breakfast call, sick call, mail call, inspection, company drill, company parade, etc… no battle. There will be a lot of drill.

Mail Call: have a friend, significant other, or family member write a letter in pencil or ink. When you get there you give the letter(s) to the camp commander, and they will be distributed during mail call. The registration form has the info. for which regiment, division, etc. to use for addressing the letters

The organizers cited the Columbia Rifles website as a reference for their guidelines.

This is the first year for the Winter Encampment, although the town hosted a mainstream reenactment last summer.

Registration contact: Court Stahr: courtney@stahrealty.com

I know most of the organizers, so post any questions, I’ll find an answer and post it.

Jim Wolf
    Scott’s Tennessee Battery, CSA
    SUVCW Iowa Camp #114
    Jim Wolf
    Scotts Tennessee Battery CSA
    20th Iowa Infantry (SVR-SUVCW)

Re: Clermont, Iowa 2004

I'll see you there Jim. We're hoping to set up a similar event next year at Motor Mill for nest year, THe Clayton County Conservation Board is currently making a decision... we've got a 50/50 chance to use the site for an immersion event.
    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
    SUVCW Camp 48
    American Legion Post 352
    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

addressing information for letters for the event
      - pick a regiment from the 5 listed for the weekend.

(Name)
      (4th, 9th, 25th, or 31st) Iowa Volunteer Infantry
      2nd Brigade, 1st Division
      15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee

(name)
      4th Minnnesota Volunteer Infantry
      1st Brigade, 3rd Division
      15th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee

Jim Wolf
      Jim Wolf
      Scotts Tennessee Battery CSA
      20th Iowa Infantry (SVR-SUVCW)

Comment

www.iowavalor.com has the schedule etc on it. I think this will be a good event, ideally considerably more Progressive than last years Grand Reunion Centenial.
        Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
        SUVCW Camp 48
        American Legion Post 352
        [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
        X