This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotsylvania 140th Anniv. May 8-9

The 140th Anniversery Reenactment of the Battle of Spotsylvania is taking place May 8-9, 2004. I'm curious why it hasn't been posted on here? It is a national event. The people down in VA are working hard to recreate a quarter mile of Confederate breastworks and trenches for the 3 battle scenarios. What are your thoughts? They havent had this reenactment in the past i don't believe.
    Ryland Breeding
    --------------------
    "In war, everything is very simple; yet even the simplest thing is difficult." - Karl von Clausewitz

"We have met the enemy, and they are ours - except those that ran." - William Kepler, Co. C, 4th Regt. Ohio Volunteers, 1861

Re: Spotsylvania 140th Anniv. May 8-9

In answer to your question, I've discussed this directly with Rob. The main reason he hasn't posted it here is that he didn't feel it met the authenticity standards of this website. I really don't know much about the event, myself - the photos of the breastworks look good, but the event looks like a mainstream draw. We don't advertise mainstream events here and Rob knows that.

I've asked him if there was a "authentic component" to Spot 140 and he wasn't clear about that in his reply. Perhaps some of you could enlighten us about that.

Rob is right though - if it is only a mainstream event, there are a lot of other places to advertise mainstream events. We're not trying to be hard on mainstream events here... we're trying to promote EBUFU events.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Well, from what I have heard from my unit commander, the Spotsy 140th directors are trying to attract a large # of reenactors, which means allowing things such as A frame tents in camps, wives of reenactors being allowed to stay in military camps, etc. Its things like that that you guys frown upon on this webpage. But as far as the battle scenarios and those things, it should be a very authentic event. the union assaults on the Confederate works are being conducted at approx. the same times as they were in May 1864, with one at dusk on saturday, and one at dawn the next day. Like you said, the breastworks are very nice.
      If its not up to par authenticity-wise, it's because this is not an annual event i dont think. I believe this is only the first or second reenactment at Spotsylvania. Hopefully if it gets a good turnout, it will become annual or every 5 year anniversery or something, and the authenticity level would be raised.
      I do understand where you are coming from on not advertising mainstream events.
      Ryland Breeding
      --------------------
      "In war, everything is very simple; yet even the simplest thing is difficult." - Karl von Clausewitz

"We have met the enemy, and they are ours - except those that ran." - William Kepler, Co. C, 4th Regt. Ohio Volunteers, 1861

Comment

Like I said, the event doesn't meet the standards that we promote on this website. Rob Hodge himself admitted that to me.

It's a mainstream event - that doesn't mean it's evil but it does mean it's not the sort of thing we promote here. Visit Mr. Szabo's site or the Camp Chase forum for discussion of this event.
        Paul Calloway
        Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
        Proud Member of the GHTI
        Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
        Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
        X