140th Kernstown - Living History and Preservation Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 140th Kernstown - Living History and Preservation Event

The Stonewall Brigade is seeking additional Federals for an upcoming living history to commemmorate the 140th Anniversary of the 2nd Battle of Kernstown (July 1864).

What: Living History and Battlefield Preservation Fundraiser

When: July 23-25, 2004

Where: Kernstown Battlefield

Company H, 33rd Virginia Infantry (Stonewall Brigade) is working with the Kernstown Battlefield Association (KBA) on a weekend of activities to commemorate the 140th Anniversary of the 2nd Battle of Kernstown.

The Federal guiding impression will be from Mulligan's Division, 2nd Brigade, which supported DuPont's artillery on Pritchard's Hill. We already have federal artillery committed to this event. There will also be approximately 150 Confederates participating.

For pictures of this beautiful battlefield please see:

More details are available off-line.

Please e-mail me at bsumner@fulbright.com for more information.

Many thanks,
    Bret Sumner
    Stonewall Brigade
    Last edited by Barclay; 04-12-2004, 11:59 AM. Reason: correction in title - "2nd Kernstown"
    Bret Sumner
    bretsumner@hotmail.com
    4th Virginia, SWB
    www.wythegrays.org

Re: 140th Kernstown - Living History and Preservation Event

This summer, the KBA successfully paid off the 315 acres of the Pritchard-Grim Farm, which they have been working for years to preserve - the heart of the battlefield.

Their current project is to raise funds for the restoration of the c1854 Pritchard House. For this reason, the living history weekend will have a preservation component, whereby donations will be raised through a small registration fee and/or contributions.
    - from the information packet for the event

Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Dusty, The Kernstown events is not on our event schedule, but I will be up ro support your event. Is their a web site? Where do we make contributions? Thanks, Cpl Dan Morgan 10th VA (IVR)

Comment

I am bumping this to respond to another inquiry about this living history event.
        Bret Sumner
        bretsumner@hotmail.com
        4th Virginia, SWB
        www.wythegrays.org

Comment

This one looks like a quality event. My son and I are looking forward to it.
          Bill Cross
          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

The event went off as planned. The only negatives were the no shows. They missed a good one. Confederates marched 2 miles and did a prolonged skirmish demonstration by the bugle.

Money raised for the Kernstown Battlefield Association:

$1,055 in registration fees and $966 in raffle, walkon registration and donations, for a total of $2,021 donated to KBA. 4 to 1 matching funds will turn our donation into over $8,000!

Thanks to Kim Stidley of 33rd VA, Co. H of the Stonewall Brigade, who was the driving force and organizer of this event. Hope to do it again in 2006!
            Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

Comment

Pards, I went to the event this weekend as a spectator. I would have to say that it was one of the best LH I've been to. I was standing on Pritchard's hill with my son looking at the mass development that surrounds the Kernstown battlefield. You get a good perspective on the threat to all our battlefields from that point of view. That is something that bothers me is the no shows. If you commit to an event, you should make every attempt to be there. If you don't show, It effects the whole event. My hats off to the Stonewall Birgade! You guys did an excellent job! Bully! Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR)

Comment

Dan,

Sorry I didn't get to meet you. Thanks for coming to the event.
                Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Comment

Working...
                X