Glorieta Pass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glorieta Pass

Does anyone know why the event at Glorieta Pass, New Mexico in March 2005 was cancelled? I noticed that on the schedule for 2005 events recently posted. Thanks
    Your obedient Servant,
    Lane Reeder
    Co. E, 3rd Arkansas Infantry
    Texas Brigade
    Susterslot Official rajanya game mobile sejak tahun 2015 sampai sekarang.

Re: Glorieta Pass

Lane,

The information is posted in the linked thread.

Once, as stated in the thread on the A-C Forum, here is the information on the OTB Forum where the calendar is maintained by Teamster Phil. Use the correct procedures to get by the three-headed dog at the gate:

This was originally on Tom Ezell's FGLHA Forum where the event developments were being announced and tracked. The entire thread is worth reading, and the forum is good to bookmark for later use if you have Trans-Miss interests, and the manifest destiny portion of the forum is good pre-CW frontier reading for the most part:

Kevin Black's parting remarks as he was selling his gear and getting out of the hobby (hopefully just a temporary condition) were:

"The NPS will not support anything beyond a small living history due to staffing problems and the Coalition seems to be hedging on the logistical support. So, I do not foresee this happening anytime in the near future and probably never on a authentic scale. Its impossible to get any support from the couple of dozen authentics in AZ and NM for any event out here, so just decided to drop the hobby until I can get relocated in a better area (just tired of haloween costumes and clowns).

Kevin Black"

A good number of people were looking forward to this proposed event. I hope this answers your question. If not, just email Kevin Black.

Charles Heath
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath
      A good number of people were looking forward to this proposed event. I hope this answers your question.
      Charles Heath
      I was considering making the drive out, just to see Mr. Heath sporting his jaguar-skin trowsers with matching holsters. Oh well......

Rich Croxton
      Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Does any authentic living history ever go on at a small scale at Glorieta Pass National Battlefield Park? That in itself might be worth making a trip for. My Gr-Gr Grandfather was one of Pyron's men and I have long wanted to do a 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles Impression (minus the jaguar skin trousers [but with something else on of course...]). Also, just for the record, Capt Sam Richardson's Co. -- he of the famous jaguar skin trousers -- did not participate in the New Mexico Campaign. Only companies A,B.D,E and E (referred to as 'Pyrons Battalion') were present. Lets hope there were not enough jaguars to go around... ;)

K.C. MacDonald
        Lazy Jacks Mess
        Last edited by ; 04-29-2004, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Id love to do an event in New Mexico. Alot of the equipment used was captured during Twiggs surrender in Feb 1861 in San Antonio. Too bad he still didnt have the 42 camels from Camp Verde they could have used em.
          Dusty Lind
          Running Discharge Mess
          Texas Rifles
          BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

The only event that I can think of that really touches on the Glorieta Pass battle is held at El Rancho de las Golondrinas the weekend before Mother's Day in May. That means, for this year, this weekend [and I'm working! WAAHHH!!]. The Rancho is just outside of the small town of La Cienega and is outside of Santa Fe, NM. I have attended this event before. While it is a fairly mainstream event, it is not a full-blown Farbfest in my belief. There are several progressive units that take part in it, although the truly hardcore authentic blow-off this event.

You might wish to consider this event for next year if the sight of relatively few farbs doesn't unduly upset you. There are also other events in NM to consider. While they might not fit the standards set forth by this site in every way, they do help touch on the part played in the CW by troops of both sides out here. The Rancho itself is a living history site and does not permit outside vendors with modern-day wares. Only period sutlers are allowed in and their accuracy of goods is open to scrutinize. Last year, Coon Creek Sutlery had set up shop as I recall.

As for the Glorieta Battlefield having an authentic event: Maybe in the future. You must appease the NPS, part of the site is in need of being rescued from development and a highway cuts through the site itself. I doubt authenticity is possible in surroundings where the modern day so heavily intrudes. Keep up donations to the CWPT! They can help save this very endangered site! [Yes, this was yet another shameless plug for the CWPT!]

Rob Burchardt
            Artillery Co. of NM/ 4th TX Regt. Light Artillery

Originally posted by Alamo Guard
            Id love to do an event in New Mexico. Alot of the equipment used was captured during Twiggs surrender in Feb 1861 in San Antonio. Too bad he still didnt have the 42 camels from Camp Verde they could have used em.

Comment

Working...
            X