Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drayton's Brigade Living History

All,
    Just a short note to you all that when the Bville event was conacelled I was contact by Al Preston to put together a Living History that same weekend for the Park.

It will include a march from Turner's Gap to Fox's along the original route, and we will portray the 3rd SC Battalion, which entered the battle with 160 or so and arrived at Antietam with 24.

More information will be posted later, and all interested parties can contact me at ltcolcsa@hotmail.com

Pards,
    S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Re: Drayton's Brigade Living History

Chris.....Thanks for supporting The South Mountain Living History weekend. All participants of the Burkittsville event have been invited to contact Al to inquire of participating in the event. Additionally, am making a clarification of your post. The Burkittsville event is only postponed.

Know your Intrepretive history program will be a success.

Best regards
    Lester (The Elder)

Lester Schumacher,Chairman
    Engagement at Burkittsville

Comment

Lester,
      I meant postponed....my bad....it looks like there is also a chance to do the 45th PA on Sunday for those who do dual impressions and I am working on a march over to Zittlestown road as well.....covering where the Alabama Boys made thier stand above the Widow Main Place...

Working it!

Pards,
      S. Chris Anders

Comment

Zittlestown Road!!!

I hope that's not a much UP that road! :cry_smile That's pretty steep!
        [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Where and when do we sign up? I had signed on for Burkittsville, but any chance at marching thru turner's and Crampton's gaps are cool.
          Vince Jackson
          Straggler mess

Comment

Just shoot me an email at ltcolcsa@hotmail.com and I will add you to the list....give me a few days to recover from TGW and I will be up and running on this one.

Pards,
            S. Chris Anders

Comment

Details are being posted this weekend on the LR site at www.libertyrifles.org

This is a chance to march along the gaps of South Mountain, following in the footsteps of those forgotten men of Drayton's Brigade and assist a growing State Park, Maryland's first Battlefield State Park.

Drop me an email at ltcolcsa@hotmail.com with any questions.

Pards,
              S. Chris Anders

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Rover
                . . . those forgotten men of Drayton's Brigade. . .
                Forgotten? The boys of Captain Durell's Ringgold Battery never forgot them! Drayton's lads put up a fine fight and still had the time to offer themselves up as wonderful artillery targets. :cry_smile

We'll see you lads that weekend, we'll be haunting the 17th Michigan Infantry field in order to recount the deeds of the Penna. redlegs of the Ninth Corps.

Anyone who would care to join US for the weekend should send me a missive at ringgold_redleg@mindspring.com in order to get a position in the detachment.

Your servant, Gentlemen!
                Mark A. Pflum
                Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
                Member:
                CMH
                AHA
                Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Mark,
                  Be good to see you there.....working on Some 45th PA boys for sunday as well...heard you ahve some info on them. If you have an electronic let me know.

Pards,
                  S. Chris Anders

Comment

BTW,
                    This is the first time there has been Infantry manuvering in the 17th Michigan field since September 14, 1862....just though I would pass that on...

Pards,
                    S. Chris Anders

Comment

Update

Living History Updates and Logistics

Parking- You will need to arrive on site between 4pm and 10pm Friday night. The parking will be located just east of Boonsboro on Alternate RT 40, just past the RT 67 interchange. Look for the signs on the right as you head east up the mountain. We will park in the field, and change into the 3rd SC impression. You will then be shuttled to Turner’s Gap.

Rations-Bring $10 for rations which will be issued.

Ammunition- DO NOT BRING ANY

March length- 1.3 miles

Preservation- We are encouraging donations to be sued to place a marker at Fox’s Gap, detailing the actions of Drayton’s Brigade.

Impression- 3rd SC Battalion as listed, and those who can do dual impressions will be portraying the 51st PA on Sunday.

51st PA at Fox’s Gap

For our Sunday impression at the living history, the South Mountain Battlefield would like to see a Federal Presence at the Gap. To facilitate this, those who can, please bring along your Federal kit as detailed below, and the Park will shuttle us down Sunday Morning to change in the parking lot.

Here are the Regulations for the Impression-

Standard- No Corps Badges, and no hat brass except Company Letter B and 51, which is optional.

Hat- Forage Cap

Coat- 4 Button Lined Fatigue blouse is the preference, with unlined blouses and Frocks acceptable.

Trousers- US issue Sky Blue trousers

Socks- US issue or civilian

Shirt- US Issue highly preferred, with Civilian patterns acceptable.

Shoes- US issue or private purchase shoes

Accoutrements- US issue Tarred Haversack, Smooth side canteen with leather strap preferred, cloth sling acceptable, with jean cloth cover and twine instead of a chain on the stopper. US Issue Belt, with leather keeper preferred, Cap pouch and Cartridge Box, preferable 1857 pattern, and 2 rivet bayonet scabbard. US Issue Double Bag/Ground cloth/shelter half/US issue blanket.

Weapons- 1861 Springfield or 1853 Enfield preferred, 1842 accepted. Must have bayonet.

See our website for more information!

If you wish to participate, you must RSVP by Spetember 4th.

Pards,
                      S. Chris Anders

Comment

Drayton's Brigade LH 2 weeks off

Comrades!

My pard Chris Anders has been a bit modest about the efforts of the LR at this event, so I'm stepping forward to provide a bit more detail.

This event has alot to recommend it... besides the commemoration of South Carolinians!! This event is on the original ground and its preservation component is to raise money for signs and markers to commemorate these men of the 3rd SC Battalion and to educate visitors to the site. Both practical and noble indeed.

Thanks to Chris and the LR for stepping into the gap ( pun intended ) left after the postponement of the Burkittsville event. We appreciate your positive leadership in the hobby working for our benefit.

Those of you who haven't responded to Chris' invitation can do so by replying to ltcolcsa@hotmail.com. The event leadership needs to know who's coming by September 3rd. Event guidelines and other data are linked off the LR webpage at http://www.libertyrifles.org/.
                        David Culberson
                        The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Last call, email me by this friday if you ae planning to attend.

Pards,
                          S. Chris Anders

Comment

Final Update

Duke,
                            Thanks for the kind words.

Gents, here is the final update-

Ok,
                            Final details-HEADS UP!

First- PARKING IS AT TURNERS GAP. Right across from the South Mountain Inn, on Alt 40 about 3 miles East of Boonsboro, MD. It is right at the very tip top of the mountain.

Second- NO CAPS OR ROUNDS

Third- Rations will be issued Friday evening by Corporal Mclaughlin

Fourth- Immediately upon arrival check in with Lt Dangel and pay the $10 ration fee. Extra Donations for the Drayton's Marker will also be left with him.

Fifth- Be sure to read the rules and regs for uniforming, and keep your Federal Gear in the car, we will be shuttled back to get it on Sunday.

Sixth- We have a good number signed up to attend, if this many do show we will form 2 companies for drilling purposes (not permanent), and rotate command during said drills to get some real experience amoungst our NCO's and officers. Not enough to field 2 for the weekend, but enough to practice the basics.

Seventh- The March is only about 1.5 miles, and easy one, but we are leaving around dawn, so be on site friday evening.

I will be on site by 4pm Friday, my cell is 301-992-7339, call me if you need to.

Pards,

Chris Anders
                            S. Chris Anders

Comment

Working...
                            X