Oakwood Cemetery Re-dedication, Nov 11, 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakwood Cemetery Re-dedication, Nov 11, 2006

Not exactly an event, but the 122nd NY invites all of you (with blue suits) to our re-dedication of the CW veterans section of Oakwood in Syracuse. The following write-up is by Chris Piering:

Many years have passed since the end of the Civil War and the passage of time has dulled the memory of many for the trials tha nation passed through in those fateful years of 1861-1665.

In the years after the war, the veterans sought to assure that the dead would rest in dignity and that future generations would have a fitting memorial to the lives lost and efforts to save the country. Chief among these efforts was the Grand Army of the Republic, who erected monuments and purchased land to serve as burial grounds for those killed in action and for the veterans themselves.

One of these burial grounds is located in Oakwood Cemetery in Syracuse, New York, having been established by the Root Post of the GAR. Augustus Root was the Colonel of the 15th NY Cavalry, killed ar Appomattox on April 8th, 1865.

Directly above his final resting place, a life sized bronze statue of an infantryman was erected, a sentinel to guard over the 231 men at eternal rest in the Soldier's and Sailor's Plot. Dedicated in 1895, the statue stood on a large pedestal, commanding the hillside, and facing south, at rest.
    This symbol stood until June 1951 when vandals removed the statue. It was never recovered.

The efforts of the 122nd New York and friends has replaced each of the stones of the men buried in Oakwood, ensuring that they not join the ranks of the unknown soldiers of our wars. Continued efforts have been ongoing, and we have now raised the funds to complete the project by replacing the "Sentinel".

It is our proud pleasure to announce that the Sentinel will be put back on that hillside vacated 55 years ago. We invite you to join us on Veteran's Day as we rededicate the monument to the honor of the fallen, as well as a symbol of commitment to the veterans of today and tomorrows wars.

Additional info including uniform and directions to be posted on www.122ndnewyork. com
    Contact person Chris Piering
    cpiering@twcny. rr.com
    315-492-3825

"Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time, testify to the present or to the coming generations that we have forgotten, as a people, the cost of free and undivided republic.

"If other eyes grow dull and other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remain in us."

From General Order 11, Headquarters, Grand Army of the Republic
    Washington, D.C., May 5, 1868

JOHN A. LOGAN,
    Commander-in- Chief, Grand Army of the Republic
    Dave Grieves

Re: Oakwood Cemetery Re-dedication, Nov 11, 2006

Not to be confused with Oakwood in Richmond which is the resting place for many CS Soldiers KIA around Richmond.
    Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
    PO BOX 4849
    Midlothian, VA 23112
    www.richmonddepot.com
    (804)305-2968

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave Grieves]Not exactly an event, but the 122nd NY invites all of you (with blue suits) to our re-dedication of the CW veterans section of Oakwood in Syracuse. The following write-up is by Chris Piering:

One of these burial grounds is located in Oakwood Cemetery in Syracuse, New York, having been established by the Root Post of the GAR. Augustus Root was the Colonel of the 15th NY Cavalry, killed ar Appomattox on April 8th, 1865.
      Directly above his final resting place, a life sized bronze statue of an infantryman was erected, a sentinel to guard over the 231 men at eternal rest in the Soldier's and Sailor's Plot. Dedicated in 1895, the statue stood on a large pedestal, commanding the hillside, and facing south, at rest.
      This symbol stood until June 1951 when vandals removed the statue. It was never recovered.
      The efforts of the 122nd New York and friends has replaced each of the stones of the men buried in Oakwood, ensuring that they not join the ranks of the unknown soldiers of our wars. Continued efforts have been ongoing, and we have now raised the funds to complete the project by replacing the "Sentinel".
      It is our proud pleasure to announce that the Sentinel will be put back on that hillside vacated 55 years ago. We invite you to join us on Veteran's Day as we rededicate the monument to the honor of the fallen, as well as a symbol of commitment to the veterans of today and tomorrows wars.

Well done, friends! Was a wonderful moment (among many great memories) at the Columbia Rifles' recent 2nd Manassas living history when Piering the elder announced that the 122nd's fund-raising goal had been met and the sentinal was to return to his post at Oakwood.
      The Original Boys in Blue are surely proud of your efforts.
      Best regards,
      Paul Hadley, Commander, Dept of Neb, SUVCW
      Paul Hadley

Comment

Some more info on Oakwood (NY) for 11/11/2006, from the August 2006 issue of The Columbia Examiner newsletter (this was reviewed and approved by the event committee prior to publication):

STATUE UNVEILING AND DEDICATION
        (“The Sentinel”)
        Oakwood Cemetery, Syracuse, New York
        Saturday, November 11, 2006

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Years of fundraising and restoration effort by our comrades in the 122nd New York and friends—many of whom are also members of the Columbia Rifles--will culminate on Veterans’ Day, Saturday, November 11, 2006, when the “The Sentinel” statue is restored to Oakwood Cemetery’s Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Plot in Syracuse.

In 2000 the 122nd New York and friends completed the two-year task of documenting the graves of 231 Civil War veterans in the plot and replacing the headstone for each, ensuring that they will not join the ranks of our nation’s unknown soldiers. Several CR members attended the cemetery rededication ceremony on November 11, 2000; for the event report, see http://www.columbiarifles.org/AAR/Oakwood.html. At that time, the task of raising $30,000 to replace missing Sentinel statue at the plot commenced.

Many years have gone by since the end of the Civil War and the passage of time has dulled the memory of many of the trials the nation passed through in 1861-1665. In the years after the war, the veterans sought to assure that the dead would rest in dignity and that future generations would have a fitting memorial to the lives lost and efforts to save the country.

Leading many of these efforts was the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR), who erected monuments and purchased land to serve as burial grounds for those killed in action and for veterans who survived the war. One of such burial ground is in Oakwood Cemetery in Syracuse—established GAR’s Root Post—named for Colonel Augustus Root of the 15th New York Cavalry, who was killed at Appomattox Station on April 8, 1865.

Directly above Colonel Root’s final resting place in Oakwood’s Soldiers and Sailors Plot was a life-sized bronze statue of an infantryman—a sentinel to guard over the 231 Civil War veterans at eternal rest there.

Dedicated in 1895, the statue stood on a large pedestal that commands the hillside plot, facing south at rest. For fifty-six years The Sentinel stood at his post until it was stolen by vandals in June 1951. The Soldiers and Sailors Plot has been without a guard now for nearly as long as The Sentinel watched over the graves.

Until now. Now The Sentinel will be replaced.

The 122nd New York invites Civil War reenactors with a Federal portrayal join them on Veterans’ Day as the newly cast replacement Sentinel is unveiled and the cemetery rededicated, both to the honor of the fallen and as a symbol of commitment to the veterans of today and future conflicts.

The ceremony is tentatively scheduled for 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 11, 2006. Those who drive a distance to the ceremony are welcome to at the home of Chris Piering, (315) 492-3825, cpiering@twcny.rr.com.

Federal infantry and artillery portrayals only. Artillery portrayals must be approved by Chris Piering in advance.

Infantry Uniform and Kit: Preferred order of jacket: frock coat, New York State jacket, fatigue blouse. Jackets and trousers should be clean and in good repair. Headwear shall be forage caps only. It is preferred that participants wear leathers only although a canteen is acceptable; NO haversacks or knapsacks. Leathers shall be blackened and all brass polished bright. Enfield rifle-muskets are preferred but Springfields are acceptable; rifles must be serviceable and polished bright. Please bring ten rounds of ammunition for firing volley-salutes. White gloves not required. Officer portrayals are by invitation only. Confederate portrayals are not allowed because the ceremony is rededicating a Union cemetery.

Oakwood Cemetery is located at 940 Comstock Avenue in Syracuse, beside Interstate I-81. A map and directions will be posted at www.122ndnewyork.com, or contact Chris Piering at cpiering@twcny.rr.com for detailed directions.

This will be a solemn, momentous occasion and all members of the CR are encouraged to attend. If you plan to attend, please let Chris Piering know in advance so that the 122nd can plan appropriately for the number of men present.

I'll be there.

Comment

As will I.
          [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
          [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
          [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

The time of the ceremony has changed to 3 pm at Oakwood in Syracuse, N.Y. in order to avoid conflicting with scheduled Vets Day events by the city and local vets groups.
            The Excelsior Coronet Band will be playing in honor of the event and the soldiers buried in Oakwood.
            Please consider joining us.
            For a chronology and additional info, please check this link
            122ndnewyork.com ist die beste Quelle für alle Informationen die Sie suchen. Von allgemeinen Themen bis hin zu speziellen Sachverhalten, finden Sie auf 122ndnewyork.com alles. Wir hoffen, dass Sie hier das Gesuchte finden!

Chris Piering
            Last edited by chris piering; 09-13-2006, 09:14 PM.
            Chris Piering
            www.122ndnewyork.com

Comment

The new Sentinel is on post, waiting for his welcome ceremony.

To see what he looks like, come join us while we celebrate the return of these veterans' watchman.
              Dave Grieves

Comment

not to be confused with the honorable Oakwood cemetary in the arm pit of the south, downtown Atlanta, GA
                Patrick
                Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Dear Sir , And certainly not to be confused with Oakwoods Cemetary in Joliet ,Illinois and final resting place of hero Col. Frederick Bartleson .
                  all for the old flag,
                  David Corbett
                  Dave Corbett

Comment

Best of luck on the rededication this weekend. I hope you guys enjoy the new statue to guard over the fallen. When he left us at Modern Art Foundry this week he looked really good, and I hope my Grandfather delivered him well. Ironically, we had both a Confederate Soldier and a Federal Soldier at the foundry at the same time. It was peculiar having them stare each other down...

I wish I could have attended this weekend, but Grad. Course work is demanding.

Regards,
                    Matt Bursig
                    (unoffically of Modern Art Foundry)
                    Your Obedient,

Matthew B. Bursig
                    52nd New York Regt. "German Rangers",
                    & The Daybreak B'hoys Mess

Researching the Life and Times of the 20th NYSV Regt. The "United Turner Rifles"

"Bahn Frei!!"

Comment

Matt,

The statue looks great. It was difficult not to share a picture showing him off, but I want to keep up the suspense. Bob, (your grandfather?) was right on time and very helpful, making sure we got the Sentinel in place and secure without damage. He had some great stories to share about other monuments and cemeteries, too.

If anyone is in the market for a casting, we in the 122nd NY can heartily recommend Modern Art Foundry.
                      Dave Grieves

Comment

Chris, and the entire 122nd NY:

Fantastic weekend.

Thank you for the tears at the cemetary and sore ribs from laughing at the after-party.

Nuf said.
                        Ley Watson
                        POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Working...
                        X