Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perryville 06 Preservation March

Patrick,

Not to rehash things, but what were basic issues that you guys had at Corinth. Our main issue wasn't so much how we were treated but just too many dang ATVs, modern guys on horse, etc whizzing about constantly. To me, ATVs should be used when the organizers must use them, and even then try not to ride right thro or near someones camps.
    No, I don't see this watering down as just a slight at the AOP, but something that happens routinely at events and I too have been guilty as well. Probablt something we could all improve upon.

Jim
    Jim Butler

Comment

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR
      Patrick,

Not to rehash things, but what were basic issues that you guys had at Corinth. Our main issue wasn't so much how we were treated but just too many dang ATVs, modern guys on horse, etc whizzing about constantly. To me, ATVs should be used when the organizers must use them, and even then try not to ride right thro or near someones camps.
      No, I don't see this watering down as just a slight at the AOP, but something that happens routinely at events and I too have been guilty as well. Probablt something we could all improve upon.

Jim
      The biggest issue was the failure in providing water to a Battalion that had been skirmishing all morning, then required to stand in a presentation formation during which a kid was given an ribbon for something he had done at a previous NSA event, then faced and marched into battle without afforded the chance to make canteen runs (we requesrted water prior to, during and immediately after the formation... but our requests were denied. I personaly informed oneof teh Caommand Staff Officers that we had men who were falteringdue to a lakc of water.... but to no avail). After we deployed for the fight, our Wing Commander went searching for water, but he was denied the use of another units water wagons. All three of our Companies were faltering and about to withdraw from the event... right in the midst of the fight, when water was finally brought up, thanks to individual efforts by civilian participants. The bigger issue? Our Brigade Commander knew at sunrise that his water wagons were not going to take to the field that day, but he failed to communicate this to his subordinates, and failed to coordonate for any water support from any other source. Do we really want to compromise our men's hydration and health by supporting efforts such as this?
      Last edited by BrianHicks; 09-13-2006, 07:37 AM.
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I've had several questions about logistics and support. We ample enough water for people. Great care was given to the well being of the rank and file. We also have park support services to assist us in any emergency or even the slightest problem. This has been well planned out as far as logistics and care for the marchers.

What I am still lacking is a coordinated effort from the CS side. If you are interested in going and you have an open mind set. If you would like to really experience a little unique history this will be a great opportunity.
        Please contact me directly.
        The march was designed for the average soldier to have a little suprise and excitment. WE don't want to give away the punches and every detail. It will be great fun and there are no safety concerns for the all participants. I would advise all persons to be aware that they will be on foot for several miles.

We know how to do it - we just need participation. The AOP is primed and ready for this. Who wants to play?
        Thanks,
        Chad Greene
        Chad Greene

Comment

Ahh....ummmm.....I'm trying to express something here that's going to be a bit difficult. Please bear with me if I stumble, (I have at this point up for nearly 40 hours on 2 hours sleep) but I think a number of the parties that need to be involved in such are on this thread, and so I'm forging ahead in a public discussion of related issues.

I bought into the concept of this march back in June--my buy-in taking the form of recruiting a list of interested folks for the Park to draw upon to portray Unionist civilians traveling under the protection of the Federal Army.--

Dandy idea, and an excellent 'on the fly' opportunity for first person interaction for civilian and soldier alike. Just our particular cup of tea.

These types of 'on the fly' opportunities assume a certain level of expertise and understanding by all participants---including the ability to maintain period correct first-person interactions in a safe manner even in the midst of 'active hostilities'.

In my experience, about 80% of the AOP can deal with this sort of first person interaction with high-quality civilians on a consistent basis for a reasonable period of time. Great!

AOT troops don't have as consistent a skill level, but still are well above 65%---but they are going to be otherwise occupied that morning on drill, and are not going to be on the march.

And, the Confederate troops who most consistently know how to maintain high quality period impressions and play with these types of civilians have a committment to the previously scheduled program that Jim Conley is coordinating.

Leaving the bulk of the Confederated forces to be drawn from the 'unattached others'---folks who are least consistent in their ability to deal with folks in first-person character.

So, I'm now looking at a situation where we've got civilians of every make and type, women, children, old, young, the lame and the halt, strung out over difficult terrain, impeded by household goods, and trying to keep pace with a fast-moving AOP---and then encountering folks who really don't know how to play right.

Now, I know that civilians coming behind the army are a very very small part of this march effort, but they are also a documented protrayal for this particular time and place.

Nobody wants to know every punch and detail on these sorts of things--part of the challenge is doing these portrayals on the fly. But, I do have some pretty strong concerns about the abilities of some groups of 'unattached others' to deal with these civilians in a period correct manner as they encounter them.

I sincerely hope something can be worked out concerning the schedule for Jim Conley's folks.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I just heard back from Joni today. Unfortunately, the Confederate Living History group WILL NOT be able to participate in the Preservation March.

It's a shame that it intereferes with the schedule that has been laid out, but that's the way it is.

Mrs. Lawson, I don't know what you and your group of misfits have planned throughout the weekend, but you all are more than welcome to interact with us whenever you like. I know that the Taters and others have done things with you all in the past, and you'd be a welcomed addition to our programs when we're not doing things like drill, etc.

See you all in a few weeks,
            Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Working...
            X