• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GACornbread
    replied
    Re: Prelude to Chickamauga

And....Thanks Matt:
    you were Sgt "Angel" at Pickett Post 1. You lkept us awake with that brew, thanks for the instruction, and gab. Now what is the price for one of your blanket scarfs?
    How about trading one for my hand sewn neckties and cavats?

Finally, to "Lewis and Clake", if you need some scouting help. I am a sneaky ole' southern woodsman. Well, Milliron, pickets got me. Thanks for the hard scouting by Kiev and Yoda!

Houston White
    Tenth Texas

Leave a comment:

• GACornbread
    replied

Originally posted by Milliron
    ROFLMAO, is all I can say.

I had a great time. Let's do it again. It will be my last event for a while, and I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks to all involved.

Thanks Milliron!
    What a "fabled" way to die. I love it. Good job, as I was moving back your pickets were able to flank me on the left by taking the small group of three-four trees at the point closest to the goat pens. I thought we had pickets there, not 10 minutes before. That was a good clean shot from close range in my back. Poor thirsty reb ambushed to death, before he had a drink from his now full Canteen! That will be with me for a long time!
    What a Moment!
    Pvt Houston White
    Tenth Texas

Leave a comment:

• Jake Hill
    replied

Grear time thanks to all. Thanks for the coffee on Guard duty Sat. night Matt. Thanx to all who helped make it possible. Kiev where and when are you going to post the pics?

Leave a comment:

• toptimlrd
    replied

Bruce,

Glad to hear you're OK. I didn't see it but heard what happend. Take care.

Leave a comment:

• BrianHicks
    replied

Bruce,

It was great (as always) to have you on the ranks! And I'm sorry that you were injured.

I'm glad to hear that your injury was as moderate as it was.

Leave a comment:

• pipthelimey
    replied

Bruce,
    I hope you're feeling better. When I saw you go down, my first thought was: "man, that was the greatest hit ever." My second thought was: "ah hell, he's dead..."

:)

Andrew Jerram

Leave a comment:

• Bruce MacDonald
    replied

Gents,

Thanks to all those that came to my aid when I planted my canteen into my upperlip and nose on Saturday. In rinsing out my mouth I discovered that I had a hole in my upper lip. That ended my weekend and a trip to the emergency room resulted in 4 stitches and a tetanus shot. I was really looking forward to this weekend and it was great until I took a nosedive in the dirt. Again, my thanks to those that helped.
    Bruce MacDonald

Leave a comment:

• Coatsy
    replied

Jordan, I am glad you had a good time. I hope you can make it to our other crazy events in the future.

As for raining in when you are in open it is true! Also when you are under a tree canopy as well.

And just think about how many times the Boys of '61-'65 complained about having to cross a creek/river/swamp in less than desireable conditions, under fire, extreme cold, etc.

Just remember to yell at the officer on horseback telling you it is ok to cross a creek in very cold temps, just like Kershaw's men did to him.

Leave a comment:

• Half Rations
    replied

Great Event! Learned a few things to.

1. CJ can sleep through anything
    2. Guard dogs arnt good agianst Critters.
    3. Kiev+Yoder= Lewis and Clark :sarcastic
    4. Creeks are wet when you cross them 5 times.
    5. It gets cold at night.
    6. Rain only comes when you get out in the open.

Jordan Roberts
    Prophet Boys Mess

Leave a comment:

• Coatsy
    replied
    Fate of the "Guard Dog" at the Harris Farm

Gents, this is from Robbie Mitchell

"I conducted a school program at the Harris farm today and was pleasantly informed that the big white dog that we put to skeedadling at the goat farm has made his return. Word is he wasn't so white anymore and was covered in mud and filth.

Seeing that dog jump that fence and keep on running 'til out of sight has got to be one of my funniest re-enacting moments. It reminded me of that Chevy Chase "Funny Farm" movie."

The beast has returned.

Leave a comment:

• pipthelimey
    replied
    Thanks to the Critters

Gents,
    My name has been falsely associated with this event's planning committee. I came to the first event planning meeting, but because of my work schedule, I was unable to do a single thing to help this event along. The credit belongs with the rest of the crew who worked tirelessly to bring together a host of elements that we don't normally see at our type of events.

There's been a little bit of gloating over the results of the Sunday morning skirmish, and although I went Confederate, I'd like to throw in something for consideration. When Captain Milbert's company attacked, the Critters had taken over 65% casualties in attacking Capt. Jerram's company, many of which were to draw attention to the fact that some individuals were standing conspicuously exposed, while not paying attention to the number of rounds fired at them.

I think we need to take the time to thank the Critters for the amazing element they added to the event. The constant paranoia over the threat of capture was incredibly realistic, and the combination of mobility and firepower that they presented didn't just multiply force, it raised it exponentially. Unless you were in company strength or more, you had no chance of doing any damage to their formation, except at loss of life or liberty. There were two times on Saturday when I had clear shots at Critters while on patrol, (Patrick and Zach I believe) but firing on them would have brought a maelstrom of crap. Secondly, the investment of time, money, research, and energy on their part has been so expansive as to boggle the mind. You guys add so much to every event I'm at, and I just wanted to say thanks.

Andrew Jerram

Leave a comment:

• toptimlrd
    replied

Originally posted by Coatsy
    Yeah we were booking it! And we did hear the potshots taken after you guys came over to the sheep pens.

Last I heard the dog is still MIA. But I am sure it will return. The sheep pens is where they get fed.
    I don't think I've ever seen a dog jump a fence quite like that before, he looked like a champion steeplechase horse.

Thanks again for the gum blanket you sold me, it came in real handy Sunday morning. By the way, it doesn't look new any more :tounge_sm

Leave a comment:

• Coatsy
    replied

Yeah we were booking it! And we did hear the potshots taken after you guys came over to the sheep pens.

Last I heard the dog is still MIA. But I am sure it will return. The sheep pens is where they get fed.

Leave a comment:

• toptimlrd
    replied

Originally posted by Coatsy
    The Corpse that did not die was the aquatic commander John Duffer. He had his life preserver on. I think that deflected the bullets.

And where did the Federal Infantry go? Back to Rossville and Chattanooga to deliever the detailed map! (I'll try to scan it and post a link soonish)

The sheep pen was not guarded on the eastern (closer to Hwy 11) and we had two choices where to go when we got to the pen. Down the road to the Rossville Rd (Hwy 11) or down the path, taking more shots, to the Farm House. So the commander choose to not get shot up.

I know you boys were itching for a fight, and we were itching not to get shot up. I'll tell you what charging across the ford and double quicking it was something else. I had a geninue fear of getting mowed down and that is another moment that will stay with me! Thanks guys!

It was a great time wasn't it? :D Y'all must have cleared the sheep pen not too long before we got there, you were moving! Anyone know if the dog ever came home? Last I saw him he was heading towards the ford faster than a minnie ball.

Leave a comment:

• NY Pvt
    replied

I thought I would take a couple days to decompress from the event before writing about it. In general, I had a great time and look forward to the next event like this. Thank you to all who put so much time and hard work to make the weekend a possibility.

Some of my thoughts: I enjoyed the early wake up in the dark both mornings. All company business was done in the dark which had added challenges especially considering that was prime time for the critters to do their evil deeds. I also enjoyed the slow and careful advance across the property, as not to advance to quick and leave our rear or flanks exposed. Also the CS commanders did a good job in using appropriate force ratios. Just because one company was skirmishing, they did not rush every possible reserve to the action. It was great to hear the battle roll and move in different directions. Another great feeling was when Cory Pharr ordered me to take two men, go up a wooded road and check the gate to make sure it was closed. We saw horse tracks and I could just see us getting gobbled up at any second. The critters also surprising us Saturday night was great, as it kept us on edge the entire night. I expected to wake up from my sleep with a pistol pointed at my head.

The fences were annoying. While they had their benefits, they restricted movement a lot. I was also upset on Saturday, as it seemed most of second company was, after we found an easy way through the barbed wire and could have attacked the federal’s flank on top of the hill almost unopposed, but were called back by the CS commanders to attack across the stream through a much more difficult route under fire. Of course looking back, this feeling of bad decisions and leadership were felt by many of the soldiers under Bragg at this time.

I also learned not to stay up the Thursday night before a physical event such as this. Friday night I helped ferry the CS troops over to the camp site and was one of the last to bed down. By Sunday morning, I was falling asleep every time I sat down. It was a completely authentic feeling, but I was in one grouchy mood. Thank you to all in 2nd Company who put up with me, you guys did a great job.

Also, in honor of one of the men who made this event possible. I took this picture late Friday night at registration, sorry Tripp. You had the frosty the snowman look going for you, minus the corn cob pipe of course.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X