X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emily Burns
    replied
    Re: Shaker Village AAR

That's a shame. You will certainly be missed.

Leave a comment:

• BrianHicks
    replied

Sadly, no.

Those of us who are behind coordinating the table have other obligations that will keep us away from the event this year.

Leave a comment:

• col90
    replied

Gentlemen:

Will the Widows and Orphans table be at Shaker Village again this year?

Colleen Formby
    Wagner Chapter #111, O.E.S

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Jarvi
    replied

Excellent image! I am pleased to say that I will soon begin my degree work of a Master Mason. Passed my test as a Fellowcraft at the last meeting.

Respectfully,
    Andrew Jarvi
    5th US Colored Infantry
    Lakeshore Lodge #307

Leave a comment:

• C.R. Henderson
    replied

That is awesome, Brian! I'm sending the link to my dad who was PM of Buford 292. He's going to love the ambro. Keep up the great work guys.

Chris Henderson

Leave a comment:

• BrianHicks
    replied

Ambrotype taken by Wendell Decker.

Leave a comment:

• coastaltrash
    replied

I was, in fact, lucky #4 of the Degree work Bro. Craddock speaks of. The only picture I have of that Lodge is sitting on the top shelf in my room, with many of the same men pictured in it that are in the pictures on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Spinster
    replied

Patrick, I was not aware you had taken that step. I am Quite Pleased.

Jeremy---there are those in the hobby who have acquired some of the outer markings as some sort of historical geegaw, but have not done their homework--they fail to answer to the inquiries properly extended, especially those of Sister, who served in a high office for many years in the women's organization, and whose father, at his death, was the longest serving Mason in Alabama. However one feels about such portrayals, its incumbent upon those who do them to at least do the proper background work, and not just pick up a symbol as one would a shiny button or a bit of hat brass.

We encounter members of a true Traveling Lodge, out of Wisconsin as I recall, in the context of Alabama Frontier Days (1740-1820). These men are vendors in that time period, which tends to do events stretching to two weeks and more--and thus are often on the road for months at a time. They hosted Sister's wedding reception last year, only months after her dear father's death. Always a Pleasure, and a Blessing.

Leave a comment:

• coastaltrash
    replied

"I believe Bro. Craddock has one apron currently for sale...other than that he does not generally make them as a commercial venture."

Not true, that lovely apron is coming home with me after Perryville.
    Last edited by coastaltrash; 10-01-2006, 02:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jgr1974
    replied

I am really impressed with all! I have been trying to tie the two life styles together since being raised. I have been unsuccesful so far! I am very glad to see the aprons ar copied from originals! I would love to see some pics of them, but do not know where to trun. I would say that you are all real Craftsmen by both accounts!

I have heard of "Travelling Lodges" at rendezvous, and I was informed that many do move a charter for operations. I just have never attended a meeting in the field! I would love to share in the meetings sometime, and participate in degree work!

Leave a comment:

• BrianHicks
    replied

Concerning a 'Travelling Lodge', and to add to what Bro. Craddock has stated.

Grand Lodge Jurisdictions are followed, and all by-laws are adhered to. Special Dispensatipns must be granted before a Charter can be moved, etc. (which is what we have done, as described by Pat above) therefore we do not have a true 'Travelling Lodge' or 'Military Lodge' as was done during the Civil War era.

At events, we may gather as Brothers, but we do not open an actual lodge.

Leave a comment:

• Kiev Thomason
    replied

Originally posted by PumpkinHeadFed
    Jeremy,

We're all the real deal. I kind of hope there is'nt anyone out there pretending for the purpose of an event. On an interesting note, pretending or the wearing of emblems by non-masons was actually illegal here in Indiana up until the 1970's or 80's.
    Here in the state of Georgia also.We all have walked the walk.

Cheers!
    Kiev Thomason

Leave a comment:

• Bushrod Carter
    replied

Bro. Jeremy,

Contact me off board to discuss aprons. I can be reached at: Craddock64@aol.com

Although the men pictured in the photos on this thread are from various Grand Jurisdictions, there are seven of us that are all members of Hiram #7, Franklin, Tennessee. We have a "Historic Degree Team" that performs the MM degree as a traveling Lodge, in the field, using the Charter of Hiram #7. We have done this four times in the last three years and are looking for opportunities to keep holding such a degree. We have worked hard to make the degree as authentic as possible within the confines of Grand Lodge requirements. The best degrees we have done were inside an old barn. No luxurious trappings, but LOTS of friendship and Brotherly love. I'll try and dig up some photos of our "Historic Degree" lodge room.

Leave a comment:

• Justin Runyon
    replied

I believe Bro. Craddock has one apron currently for sale...other than that he does not generally make them as a commercial venture. A few of the non painted aprons were made by me, including the copy fo Albert Mackey's apron that can be seen on the tallest fellow in the bacl of the last photograph. I got to see Mackey's original in the House of the Temple in Washignton DC in August and it is a delightful piece, quite unusual.

Another brother and mysef also made the floorcloth to use for outdoor degrees here in Indiana. The fellows from Hiram 7 have been known to do work "in the field" from time to time, so we do have a sort of traveling lodge 19th century lodge on occasion.

Leave a comment:

• jgr1974
    replied

Does Bro. Craddock make these for sale? If so, how do I contact him?

I would love to have a copy of the pic in black and white to add to my wall!

I also like the Tiled floor cloth! I did not notice it the first time I looked at the picture! I just thought it was a table cloth! This is a really excellent touch! I am just wondering do you gentleman hold meetings and have a "Travelling lodge"?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X