Fort Gaines: Christmas at the Fort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Gaines: Christmas at the Fort

Not to be confused with Macallister. This event was posted back before the crash. The idea is that the left over money will be split between Fort Gaines and Beauvoir for preservation or restoration of those two respective and constantly storm damaged sites.

The usual items are included in the registation fee and the form is attached to this. Please read the guidelines below. Short notice, but I thought the post was made after the crash.

Clothing

Coats – jean, cassimere, satinette construction with hand sewn buttonholes at a minimum.

1.Frock coats
    2.Battleshirts
    3.Commutation shell jackets
    4.Civilian pattern sack coats

Pants– jean, cassimere, satinette construction with hand sewn buttonholes at a minimum.
    1.Civilian pattern
    2.Military pattern

NO federal sky blue trousers will be allowed.

Shoes
    1.Civilian pattern shoes
    2.Federal issue shoes
    3.Infantry boots

Canvas camp shoes are discouraged for this event due to expected weather conditions

Headgear
    1.Civilian slouch hat
    2.CS kepi

NO shapeless hillbilly hat blanks, CS or US forage caps, US dress hats, wheel hats, hat brass, or animal parts.

Shirts
    1.Civilian pattern shirt made of woven material with 3/8 inch bone, china, or mother of pearl buttons
    2.CS issue shirt

Drawers – Canton flannel or cotton muslin / osnaburg of military or civilian pattern

Socks - Woven wool or cotton socks with natural colors. NO elastic or rag wool socks-

Overcoats

1.Documented CS pattern made of jean, kersey, satinette or cassimere
    2.Federal issue greatcoats may be used during non-public hours

Accoutrements

1.Cartridge Boxes
    2.CS issue boxes – preferably something early war western theater – Magee and George, Baton Rouge Arsenal, etc.
    3.US 1857 pattern box

Cap pouches
    1.CS issue cap pouches – same as cartridge boxes
    2.US 1850 pattern pouch

Bayonet scabbards

1.CS issue
    2.Federal sewn scabbard or 2 rivet

7 and 8 rivet scabbards will not be allowed – if that’s all you have, don’t bring a bayonet.

Haversacks - Documented Confederate issue haversack of painted or unpainted cloth. No federal haversacks.

Canteen

1.CS tin drum
    2.Documented pattern wooden drum canteen
    3.US smooth side canteen. No sky blue or dark blue covers.

Knapsacks

1.Mexican war
    2.CS single bag
    3.Militia hard packs

Long arms

1.1853 Enfield
    2.1842 Springfield
    3.1861 Springfield
    4.1855 Springfield, 1816/22 conversions

Blankets
    1. Civilian coverlets or 2-piece blankets
    2. CS issue blankets
    3. US issue blankets

Eyewear

1.Period frames only.

NO modern eyewear of ANY kind! (Contacts excluded)

Note: You should anticipate cold temperatures and a fair amount of wind at the fort since it is on a coastal island. When packing, bring warm items!
    Last edited by coastaltrash; 02-27-2007, 05:34 PM.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Fort Gaines: Christmas at the Fort

Need anybody to cook red beans and rice? :p

Carrie Craddock
    Carrie Craddock

Comment

Dear Mrs. C.

I'm dealing with the red beans and rice (more likely hopping john and rice pudding) this time around.

I'm wearing Larry Bretton's silk drawers tied around my head in an Aunt Jemimiah in order to meet the mythical silk garment requirement :D

Care to come on down? Be glad to have you.....

Kind Regards,
      Mrs. L
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I have to keep my nose in the books that weekend because final exams are the following week. I won’t be able to support my own boyfriend's event! :cry_smile Oh well, maybe the next year wont be so crazy and I can come.
        Last edited by MercyAngel62; 10-14-2006, 10:40 PM.
        Elizabeth Landrum
        IR Team Mom

Comment

Been looking for a copy of the infamous letter, and finally found it, so thought I'd share for anyone else interested.

It's available on google books in From that Terrible Field: The Civil War Letters of James M. Williams, 21st Alabama, by James M. Williams, John Kent Folmar.

Fort Gaines, Christmas Evening [1861]

Darling Lizzy:

Mr. John-Sampson--with--the--gray--pants--and--blue-stripe--, belonging--probably--to--the--regulars, has never appeared before me to deliver the long looked for letter, which has been mentioned before by both of us; and I suppose it may be classed among the missing who never do turn up-- I hope that Mr. John Sampson derived as much pleasure form it as I lost; The little green box of eggs and cakes, and mince pie, and the sweet little letter, was more fortunate in its Voyage and was landed safely in tent No. 1, just before last evening's parade; the mince pie was too tempting to keep over night, so we made away with it very soon; it represented Miss "Phe's" Kiss, you say, and our mess have unanimously voted that if Miss "Phoe's" Kisses are as sweet as the substitute, each member of the mess--including myself especially-- would be glad to receive them every day. Tell Miss "Phe" that though the pie was good I have not forgotten how she turned her back to the farewell of a poor soldier, bound for the war: and it is not altogether forgiven-- I am sorry that Mr. Bassett was not here to taste the pie too-- poor fellow he has been so unfortunate as to be off to town on a furlough-- by which he has already lost the mince pie and a sight of the exciting engagement between the Florida and Lincoln's steamer--what more he will miss before he comes back no-body can guess-- poor, poor, fellow, I pity him! Apropos of the Lincoln steamer I might mention that like the evil spirit that was taken out of the house, and it swept and garnished; she returned early last evening with two more of the same sort, so that we have four of the sea-leaches sticking to us now--

Christmas began this morning before daylight with me; two glasses of egg-nog came for each before we were out of bed, which took away our appetites for breakfast; then the reveille began to beat, when a large party of the infantry seized tin pans and every thing that would rattle or jingle about the quarters and we followed the band all through the regiment singing and tin-panning the tune of "Dixie"--it has been a long time since I have heard, or made so much racket.

The grand event of the day was a regimental mock parade which came off at ten o'clock; all the companies turned out in full dress, with officers chosen from the privates in the ranks; one of the Infantry boys acted as colonel [Crawford], and imitated him very well, another of our men was dressed as a woman with a cocked hat, to represent the Major--who is nicknamed "Nancy" you know--I, dressed in Lieutenant Cluis' uniform well stuffed out with Mrs. Turner's pillows had command of our company-- King was lieutenant. every-thing went off in the best manner, the men all acted their parts seriously as though it were a real parade, and the colonel and the officers who took no part in the performance but that of spectators seemed to be very much amused-- [Lt.] Colonel Ingersoll seemed to think that the burlesque of the Major was rather too severe and I think he sent word to him that he had better retire from the field; however he was there long enough for every-body to see, recognise, and laugh at the cariacature;--The day has passed without anything serious happening to our regiment, a number are drunk, and there have been a few small fist fights, but nobody hurt-- The regulars [First Alabama Battalion of Artillery] though have had at least one bloody row, and several are laid up with bloody heads, one of whom is reported to be dying to-night--

There has been a new order issued which prohibits all visitors from coming to this Island, besides reducing the number of furloughs,-- so I am afraid that I can't see your sweet face as often as I have done, and must be content to write and receive letters;… se how faithfully I write now that I am a private in the ranks and have plenty of time once more!

I have made no application for an appointment as drill master, and am about out of the notion of doing so-- I believe it is more to my interest to remain here with my old "infants"--I am such a pet of theirs that where ever there is a chance they will take care of me, and give ma a good place unanimously.

I musn't close my letter without giving you a little description of our christmas dinner, Bob Wier who presides over the "last chance mess" invited us to dine; and a grand dinner it was I tell you!--

Bill of Fare

Cold Turkey
          Roast Beef
          Pigeon Pie
          Pepper
          Mustard
          Eggs
          Bread
          Rice
          Vinegar
          Jelly Cake
          Sherry Wine
          Sweet Potatoes
          Mince Pie
          One kind of cake
          Pepper Sauce
          Sugar
          Port Wine
          Another kind of cake
          Sugar topped cake
          Salt
          Turnips

Every one of the above dishes was there and more than I can eat or remember--then there were toasts all around--

my toast

"The last chance"--may the 'Bazaar mess' never fare worse than when they took the "last chance" for a Christmas dinner!

"Bob Wier's"
          "'The loved ones at home', missed to day more than ever--"

"King Cotton our support in peace and reliance in war" was given by some one in compliment to King, and John Cothran (who we always call Cotton) of our mess--

Then there were toasts to every one around the table and a little speech in acknowledgement from each,--we drank all our wine in toasts and got into the humor of toasting so that when it gave out we commenced on the pepper vinegar!

But I must stop--I have worried out your patience with the story of my Christmas--…

May this be the last Christmas that I spend away from your side!

Williams
          His following letter, if his memory is correct, also references Christmas eve:

In a letter dated Dec. 27, he writes, "Night before last we thought that the enemy were about to attempt a landing--the[y] had many boats prowling along the coast of the island, but if they had ventured ashore they would have stepped into a lively trap, sure as Fate!--"

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@voyager.net
          Hank Trent

Comment

Re: Fort Gaines: Bring out your dead.....

With that lovely Christmas letter, its obvious us cooks, laundresses, hired hands, and servants at Fort Gaines will have our hands full just getting Christmas on the table for all the young soldiers at Gaines in a few weeks.

And I'm certainly not planning on washing any clothes---my hands are still split and scalded from my fall dye run.

But, the other work of the laundresses was mending---thus, I encourage those attending to filter through their plunder and bring out their dead. I'm not guaranteeing it will all get mended, but a lot of it will get worked on.

Here's the criteria.

Socks--Wool preferred, though I will mend cotton ones if I get around to it. Cotton just isn't any fun. Big holes, little holes, thin spots, doesn't matter. If they have a modern heel on them, I might turn them down, depends on how much I have in the basket. If you don't know the difference between a modern heel and period heel, come get a lesson. If you think they are blown out beyond repair, bring them on anyway, I might have use for the pieces and you are just going to throw them away. Try to scrape the horse manure off before you turn them in.

Shirts-- clean or dirty, doesn't matter. If they've rotted off you, I'll tell you if they are not worth saving.

Trousers--thin in the seat or knees, not a problem. Don't bring me any mainstream grade. If you've got patch material to match, do bring it. I've got a sack of Klien patches, but I'm getting low.

Buttons--I'm not a button expert. If you want a particular button on there, bring it. If not, you get the run of my button box---which consists of all the buttons I've cut off shirts and pants that were too far gone to save over the years.

Coats- Changes of rank can be put on. You bring them, you pin them on where you want them.

Alterations--we'll talk. I cannot make a pair of size 30 trousers become a pair of size 36 trousers

Buttonholes--not bloody likely

Label stuff with your name and what needs doing. Attach any buttons or patch material. Your responsiblity to turn in and pick up.

Mr. Morgan will be in the Fort sometime Thursday. I'll be in on Friday. Get this stuff on in to me by Friday evening.

Bring your period correct money. You gotta pay for this work. Otherwise the laundress will be dunning your captain.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

A bump:

To remind participants to bring their mending. First priority to wool socks. Then to other mending. Clean or dirty does not matter. Don't plan on wearing it during the weekend though. Bring your period money to pay the laundress. None of that nasty fake SCV recruiting money neither.

To remind all the young masters, you kings of the Southland--Tiberius has been working at the Fort for a good while----doing all the little extras you are too sorry and lazy to do for yourself. It will be Christmas morning. Do not forget that servants are due a Christmas gif....
              Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

And there's also one of the new workers who's been brought in to start framing the winter quarters for the 21st Alabama next week, a kitchen, officer's quarters and the company building. Not that you'd care about him on Christmas like Tiberius since he's a stranger.

The buildings aren't going to get done, and you'll wind up being ordered to build them yourselves starting in January, and not be happy about it, but you don't know that yet. (See p. 24, 32 etc. of From That Terrible Field: Civil War Letters of James M. Williams, Twenty-First Alabama Infantry )

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

26 December, 1861
                  Fort Gaines, Isle Dauphine

Dear Friends

Gracious a'me, what 'citment.

When I came down to work at Gaines in '59 to raise us a little cash money, leaving Sister to keep the house in Mobile, I figured to just work hard until we got ahead some, and I thought the island might be good for my lungs.

When the war broke out, and the Fort changed hands to the Republic of Alabama, I stayed. The Federals left owing me a month's pay, but when I told Capt Thomas about it, he paid me of his own pocket. His mama came from one of those fine old French families in Mobile, you know quality jess shines through in a man like that, yes it does.

Then, things got a bit more organized, more troops came, and my work got pretty heavy. Oh, they'd detail the men to help with the laundry pots and the wood and to keep the cook fires going, but still its a powerful amount of thinking to keep that many things going at oncet.

I thought about quitting, but Sister got married, and it didn't seem right for me to move back in up there, with her with a new Husband in the house, even if we have known him for years, and even if it is still half my house.

But Capt Thomas and Capt Wainwright found Mrs. Morgan and her boy Tiberius and hired them to come about two months ago, and that eased the work a good bit. There's plenty to go around, mind you, t'aint no one sitting idle. We are all earning our pay.

We were getting ready for a little Christmas, opening all sorts of cakes and such that came in on the boat, and cooking big joints for the men, and Capt brought in a new man to stay with us. Mr. Trent is to build quarters for all the new troops coming in, and he is to lodge with us, as all the barracks are full to bursting. He come from that cotton factory up on the Dog River that burned here awhile back--he was livin there and lost his room as well as his job. There ain't no sign of building back, so he came here.

Tiberius was beside himself opening all the crates and such, and talking about getting to serve the eggnog to all the young masters early in the morning. He planned to just sit up all night until peeking light and run over there so he could be certain to be the first to say "Christmas Gift" and get his reward from them.

We had all settled for the night, except Tiberius, when we heard a good bit of clatter. Mistah Landrum allowed that they were called out, Christmas Eve though it was, something about the gunboats off the coast. We heard the guns across the bay at Morgan begin to boom, and the men were gone.

Christmas morning dawned bright and cold, with a scant guard in the Fort and almost no one for Tiberius to call 'Christmas Gift' on. I had a package for him though--he is such a child and Mrs. Morgan's Papa gave him to her to play with when she was a child herself.

Not knowing when troops would arrive back, and still hearing guns from Morgan, we fixed a breakfast, and soon heard and saw the news----blockade runners, the like of which I have not seen before, come through with all sorts of things, past the gunboats, and hiding in the inlets around the island and up towards the Dog River. Gaudy men, and women of the sort not to be seen in the nice parts of town. Mrs. Morgan said they were brave and all, but told Tiberius he was not to go near them.

So we spread the Christmas feast, and made a fine day of it. Capt Thomas said we'd done aplenty, and gave leisure for the afternoon. Capt Wainwright got up a parade with all sorts of pans and plates and the men sang and marched around the Fort. Mrs. Morgan beat on the sock board with a stick and Tiberius and Mr. Trent got out the big copper pots. Later on we had a lot more music and frolic and I got out the snake jug. I didn't let Tiberius have none though, and Mr. Trent made a face when he smelled it. I think he is Temperance.

Those two hit right off together--kinda funny to see them, their heads so close and into something when they had just met. I think they are two of a kind though--Mrs. Morgan makes Tiberius wear shoes because she wants him to put on airs like she has money, and Tiberius shucks them as soon as he is out of her sight. Mr. Trent hung his shoes on a peg as soon as he came in. They took off with a crab net and headed for the jetty as soon as the Capt. gave leisure.

We held back some of the Christmas in case the rest of the troops got back in, but I served it up the next day, and Capt Thomas said he would get me some things to bake up for them special when they got back. Capt Wainwright held divine services, and we sang all the old songs.

Mr. Trent started drawing out a plan for the new quarters--he is a good hand at drawing. I figure the officers will diddle around making changes on those plans and it will take forever to get started. But Mr. Trent also put Tiberius to looking for wash lumber on the beach, to see if he could get me some shelves up in this kitchen instead of always stacking things here and there.

I finished the toe on a pair of stockings for Mrs. Morgan, put in a new heel for Private Thomas, finished up a flannel shirt and a lined blanket. January blows cold down here, and will be here soon enough.

Kind Regards,
                  Mrs. Lawson
                  Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X