Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wagons at Banks' Grand Retreat

All,

I am very pleased to announce that we have secured the services of two wagons and two mule teams!

One of the goals that Mr. Yearby and myself had from the onset of our planning was a system of mobile logistics. With a wagon moving in each battalion, we are now self-sufficient in the field.

We will have a fully-functioning internal logistics/support/medical network but our hope is for them to be engaged exclusively in setting up water points. Hopefully no partipant should catch sight of them.

Each wagon will carry the field-issue rations, ammunition, pioneer equipment, and other items of this nature.

Think back on the number of events you've attended in recent memory with elements such as this. When you are done thinking, go to www.banksgrandretreat.com and get registered!

Kindest regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Wagons at Banks' Grand Retreat

Well done! I know you and Tom put a lot of work into securing them.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Last edited by Campjacksonboy; 11-07-2006, 09:18 PM. Reason: Did not sign name on post
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Burning questions is, how many trunks will the officers place in the wagons?:D
      Walking besdie a wagon is alot tougher than just marching in a column. For you who have ever had the pleasure you know what I mean.
      Dusty Lind
      Running Discharge Mess
      Texas Rifles
      BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Should the terrain prove demanding, we will corduroy the road with the bodies of those who don't like walking with wagons. And yes, the officers will have many trunks. I heard that Frank is starting to beef up. He is going for that late-war Sterling Price look!

Cordially,
        Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

I have heard the same regarding Frank. He is now a hefty 300 pounds and will be riding in one of the wagons due to the weight gain.:)
          Last edited by Old Reb; 11-13-2006, 03:35 PM. Reason: forgot something
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Those men not up to marching, or walking behind the wagons, or serving as bumps in the wagon road, have one other option.

They might find themselves left with a civilian family along the way. The particular sympathies of said civilians will be unknown to them or their commanders. No tellin' what might happen to them.

I have also just engaged a good casket maker.
            Terre Hood Biederman
            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Won't be a need for casket makers. Just toss the bodies in the bayou and let the gators have at them.
              Tom Yearby
              Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Tom,
                We just have to make sure that we get their shoes and teeth before the gators do?
                Rick Biddle
                Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
                Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Actually rumor has it there shall be a country doctor and his assistant roaming around for those who come up lame. What he does with them after he gets his mitts on them is anyone guess?
                  Dusty Lind
                  Running Discharge Mess
                  Texas Rifles
                  BGR Survivor

Comment

Well yes, Dusty. Remember, that's my local Doctor that's been borrowed to aid the soldiers. He knows where his bread is made, his butter churned, and what his womenfolk think of soldiers........
                    Terre Hood Biederman
                    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Dang the truth is out. I've been stuck in my room for a couple months now. I have been able to teach my classes thanks to a web cam.
                      don't worry when event time comes I'm hiring a carpenter who will cut the doors and walls out so I can get out of the house. Thanks to Mr Randy who is driving and will allow me to ride down on his artillery trailer.
                      thank God you guys got the wagons!!! Now if only I can get a uniform made.
                      Frank Aufmuth
                      Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Due to concerns about my health. I was just playing along with Tom.
                        I'm not really stuck in my room and I will be marching with everyone else.
                        Frank Aufmuth
                        Frank Aufmuth

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
                          All,

I am very pleased to announce that we have secured the services of two wagons and two mule teams!

Each wagon will carry the field-issue rations, ammunition, pioneer equipment, and other items of this nature.

Think back on the number of events you've attended in recent memory with elements such as this. When you are done thinking, go to www.banksgrandretreat.com and get registered!

Kindest regards,

Fred-

I was reading back through the new BGR folder.....

What an outstanding addition of realism and authenticity the additions of wagons will add to an already outstanding sounding event. (And led by mules is above and beyond!)

I don't know of anyone who can say they have had the historically documented, asset and burden, of supply wagons at an event. I think we often forget how this aspect affected, prevented, precluded, and instigated battles of the period. Perryville, Prairie Grove, etc. as well were Confederate tactical victories followed by a retreat to protect these lines. What a great number of possibilities this will add to the event to challenge those on both sides.

We look forward to the next wrinkle and aspect you will through our way! Thank You.
                          Jay Stevens
                          Tater Mess
                          Independent Volunteers
                          Iron Man Mess
                          Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                          Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                          Lost Tribes, October 2009
                          Bummers, November 2009
                          Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                          The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                          In the Van, August 2010
                          Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

I didnt think the 13th Corps had any wagons left? i thought they all got bagged at Mansfield :) ?
                            How about a little authentic touch by painting "US" on the wagons on both sides? Just ensure the Federal wagons also include coal oil for the local homes they discover along the way.
                            Dusty Lind
                            Running Discharge Mess
                            Texas Rifles
                            BGR Survivor

Comment

Originally posted by Alamo Guard View Post
                              I didnt think the 13th Corps had any wagons left? i thought they all got bagged at Mansfield :) ?
                              How about a little authentic touch by painting "US" on the wagons on both sides? Just ensure the Federal wagons also include coal oil for the local homes they discover along the way.
                              The 81st Illinois was not in the 13th Corps - they were with Smith's division and retained their wagons.

One interesting note for the CS side, as noted in the website guidelines, is that the 15th Texas Infantry (our impression) was resupplied with captured equipment after the battles of Mansfield (Sabine Crossroads) and Pleasant Hill, April 8-9, 1864, which immediately preceded Banks' decision to retreat. From Barr's "Polignac's Texas Brigade": "Polignac lead his men back to their camps above Mansfield in easy marches on April 10 and 11. There on the 12th, the Texas Brigade (of which the 15th TX was a part) drew new canteens, cartridge boxes, belts and bayonets from captured Union stores..."

Info comes from the diary of James Allen Hamilton, 15th Texas, entries for April 10-14, 1864. The diary resides in the University of Texas collection.

This is one of the those fairly rare times where some of the troops would have been wearing well documented captured equipment that had been issued less than 2 weeks before the time period we are covering. Additionally there is an interesting diary entry of a soldier in Walker's Texas Division hunting up a new knapsack from the battlefield at Mansfield and throwing his away.

The CS troops captured numerous broken down and abandoned wagon loads of food, equipment and medical supplies as they pursued the US troops south between Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. In 2004 we reenacted this action, coming upon such a wagon load of food after marching all day and into the night without rations - never tasted better hardtack in my life. :)
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                              X