Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks' Grand Retreat Site Images

All,

For those of firm constitution, direct your browsers to the event website at www.banksgrandretreat.com

Within the "Updates" link you'll find a shortcut to images of the event site.

Tom Yearby and myself, ably assisted by District Archaeologist Geoff Lehmann, conducted a site walk on Thursday, November 16. The line of march was solidified, bivouac points marked, and other details firmed up.

The images show the trail which will be our route of march. It resembles a frontier road in the mid-1800's very closely- wide enough to get a column of men and a wagon down but not much larger. Bayou crossings, washouts, and other snags will keep everyone busy with pioneering duties. We believe that will measurably improve folks' experiences. I've included an image of one of the thousands of pine trees which cover the area- that pine is somewhere in the vacinity of 90 feet.

We hope the images will give you all a sense of what the trail looks like and an idea of the area in general. During the days that the men in blue and grey walked that land, it was known as "the howling wilderness." In that regard, not much has changed. We'll be as removed from modernity as one can get.

What the images CAN'T capture is the lay of the land. Though one doesn't conjur images of hills when they think of Louisiana, the Kisatchie Forest is surprisingly hilly. There will be a great deal of "up-down." Having spent a day there, Mr. Yearby and myself can vouch for the fact that only the fittest will make it. This will be a physically trying event. You'll be called upon to do things you don't often do. Those elements are intentional.

We will post additional information soon regarding physical expectations but I'll conclude by saying- start preparing. A mile on a treadmill won't cut it. You need to be prepared to move all day with a pack and still be competent as a soldier. The advice posted by Mr. Biddle, himself a US Army officer, is well worth reviewing. That info can be found in the longer BGR thread within this same area of the AC.

Registrations are steadily coming in. This is an event for hardy types. Gear is important but don't let a fear of not meeting the standards hold you back. My guess is that what you have in your closet will suffice. If not, we'll get you squared away with what you need.

Kind regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Banks' Grand Retreat Site Images

Fred pretty much covers what to expect down in the Kisatchie. It is an area where I often backpack and deer hunt, thus I must say, it is a very remote area of Northwest Louisiana. It is certainly for the physically and mentally tough and if one is not in top condition it will be an ordeal. It is not that the route of march is a killer, but that we will be doing it from some time late Wednesday to near mid-day Sunday and that is something most events do not offer. The aspect of helping wagons along, especially at stream crossing, will certainly add a positive aspect to the march. I plan to hike the entire route from end to end soon, and will post information concerning that trek. Again, we will push the envelope on this ones. So, expect the unexpected and get in shape. And as Fred said, it isn’t the kit for this one, but the man inside the kit that counts.
    Tom Yearby
    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Campaigning, preservation, wagons.... What didn't you guys think of?

To those of you coming study up on picket duty. If you lack the resources to study it contact me and I can pass along some resources.
      Frank Aufmuth
      Frank Aufmuth
      When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Frank,
        As one of you Soldiers, could you please send me some info on picket duty. I know a little bit, but not enough.
        Rick Biddle
        Co. A 4th VA Stonewall Brigade
        Co. A 15th TX Texas Ground Hornets

Minion of the Warlord

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - MG William T. Sherman

Comment

Frank, indeed I want you to have your troops well instructed in picket duty, for I do not want to be woke by Federals storming into the camp. Since I have committed the route to memory, and there is no known existing map, losing your guide would severly affect the morale of your troops. As previously stated to you, my loyalities are suspect at best, and my goal is to get both armies away from my home, thus if you and your bunch of traitors end up on a steamer headed north to Camp Douglas, I will not weep.
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Picket Duty primary sources include:

Mahan's "Outpost" - the manual that was the "Bible" of Picket/Guard Duty, reprinted in 1861

Butterfield's "Camp and Outpost Duty for Infantry" - 1862 Manual with an excellent and easy to understand explanation of how it was done with diagrams

"Hard Marching Every Day, the Civil War Letters of Wilbur Fisk, 1861-1865" - a series of unbelievably detailed letters explaining exactly how picket duty was conducted - this remains my favorite single volume on CW soldier life.

Amazon, etc, have all the above in modern reprint today

Modern Manuals -

"Instructions for Guards and Pickets" by Dom dal Bello - Skillet Licker has it, as do other vendors.
            Last edited by DougCooper; 11-23-2006, 12:40 AM.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I am late in posting these but hey, better late than never!

I wanted to give a heartfelt word of thanks to Geoff Lehman. Geoff is both an authentic living historian as well as the district archaeologist for the Kisatchie Ranger District, home court for Banks' Grand Retreat. Geoff gave very freely of his time for a full day. My wife can vouch for how difficult that is, so thanks Geoff!

You can see the images I snapped of the event site at www.banksgrandretreat.com but I thought I'd post a few pictures of Geoff, Tom and I during our daylong site walk and planning session.

Keep the registrations coming!

Kind regards,
              Attached Files
              Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

All of the pics of the site show that the land is still just as much of a "howling wilderness" as it was back then.
                Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Working...
                X