Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ride Share/Road Trip to Banks Grand Retreat (All areas)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ride Share/Road Trip to Banks Grand Retreat (All areas)

Thought we should start a thread for folks looking to coordinate transportation to the Grand event!

There are several of us in the Northwest Missouri/Northeast Kansas/Southwest Iowa region looking into our carpooling options. At the moment we are examining our numbers. Any Hardcore Campaigners in the area considering their options feel free to chime in.

Folks in other regions, feel free to use this thread as well if you are looking or offering....

Looking forward to a great event so let's make it as easy as possible on everyone!
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Re: Ride Share/Road Trip to Banks Grand Retreat (All areas)

Ah Dooley,
    You took the words right out of my mouth. As he says, anyone needing a ride, will want to take this trip with us. I'm sure the ride down will be half the fun, as it always is. Lets get more folks on board, so the price is less for everyone!

Comment

Dooley,

I was going to start this thread per your suggestion but you beat me to the punch!
      At any rate, I am looking at booking a flight from Detroit that flys into Longview, TX. It's the closest I can get without a long drive. Shreveport was $125.00 more! Anybody traveling to this event that would like to ride share I would be grateful to here from you. I will be traveling, hopefully, with another pard but he is uncertain at this point.
      If you are driving through in the vicinity of Longview I would help with gas. Or if you are flying into this airport we could share the expense of a rental car.
      David Parent

The Cracker Mess
      MLK Mess
      Black Hat Boys
      WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

For those flying in, your closest airports are Alexandria, LA and Shreveport. Cheapest is likely DFW, Houston, Jackson MS and New Orleans. The latter are all about 4-4.5 hours from the event. Beaumont TX, Baton Rouge, Longview TX, Monroe LA and Lafayette LA are closer but probably more expensive (for most folks).

We are looking at posting the driving times and carpool requests on the website as folks crystallize their plans. For now, try here and on the website forum for coordination. Vans, buses and RV's are a good way to go if you are driving and if you are flying in, picking airports that are "on the way" for potential pickup drivers is a good thing. I plan to fly into DFW and meet up with some boys driving from the west coast.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
          For those flying in, your closest airports are Alexandria, LA and Shreveport. Cheapest is likely DFW, Houston, Jackson MS and New Orleans. The latter are all about 4-4.5 hours from the event. Beaumont TX, Baton Rouge, Longview TX, Monroe LA and Lafayette LA are closer but probably more expensive (for most folks).

We are looking at posting the driving times and carpool requests on the website as folks crystallize their plans. For now, try here and on the website forum for coordination. Vans, buses and RV's are a good way to go if you are driving and if you are flying in, picking airports that are "on the way" for potential pickup drivers is a good thing. I plan to fly into DFW and meet up with some boys driving from the west coast.
          Doug and Mcguire-

I'm sure a lot of folks are registered and haven't worked out all the travel details, while others are waiting until after the turn of the year to register and seriously begin working them out. I just found out about two more guys in the area who are registering and wanting to come with us, so we are looking at some new options to accomodate all. (Good problem to have!) Thought we should get something going here to see if anyone else shakes out in the area and to help anyone else out. The website's forum will be a big help as well. Thanks.

Doug, good info on the airports, travel times, etc. Sure that will help a lot of folks decide.

Mcguire, I am sure there will be some Texas boys who would be happy to help out a quality pard like you. In fact you may have already heard from a couple. I know logistically it probably doesn't make much sense, but you are always welcome to fly into KC and ride with us.

Love to see things coming together!

Best Regards
          Jay Stevens
          Tater Mess
          Independent Volunteers
          Iron Man Mess

Bummers, November 2009
          In the Van, August 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

[QUOTE][/QURe: Ride Share/Road Trip to Banks Grand Retreat (All areas)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dooley,

I was going to start this thread per your suggestion but you beat me to the punch!
            At any rate, I am looking at booking a flight from Detroit that flys into Longview, TX. It's the closest I can get without a long drive. Shreveport was $125.00 more! Anybody traveling to this event that would like to ride share I would be grateful to here from you. I will be traveling, hopefully, with another pard but he is uncertain at this point.
            If you are driving through in the vicinity of Longview I would help with gas. Or if you are flying into this airport we could share the expense of a rental car.
            OTE]

BUMP
            David Parent

The Cracker Mess
            MLK Mess
            Black Hat Boys
            WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

[QUOTE=Mcguire;46284]
              [/QURe: Ride Share/Road Trip to Banks Grand Retreat (All areas)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dooley,

OTE]

BUMP
              Dave - what time do you land in Longview?
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

Comment

I hail from Lincoln, Neb. -- if I could hook up with lads from the St. Joe or K.C. areas (are you out there Carl and Mitch?) I still might be able to make this dance.
                Much obliged.
                Paul Hadley
                Paul Hadley

Comment

Doug,

Arrival in Longview is 10:00 am.
                  David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                  MLK Mess
                  Black Hat Boys
                  WIG

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLandFed View Post
                    I hail from Lincoln, Neb. -- if I could hook up with lads from the St. Joe or K.C. areas (are you out there Carl and Mitch?) I still might be able to make this dance.
                    Much obliged.
                    Paul Hadley
                    Hey Paul,

Yeah, come on down here to KC and we'll hook you up with a ride. I know of at least one van full leaving from here. We'll fix you up.
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Carl Anderton[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="2"]"A very good idea of the old style of playing may be formed by referring to the [I]Briggs Banjo Instructor."[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
                    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][B]Albert Baur, Sgt., Co. A, 102nd Regiment, NY Volunteer Infantry.[/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Mcguire View Post
                      Doug,

Arrival in Longview is 10:00 am.
                      David - stay tuned. Some of us are driving through late Tuesday or very early Wed AM but there must be someone who plans to arrive at the event in the early afternoon.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

Comment

Thanks, Carl and Jay -- I look forward to sharing a ride/expenses for BGR. Now all I have to do is get permission from she-who-outranks-me and the boss at work and I'm ready to travel.
                        Oh, yeah, and then there's that gettin-back-in-shape thing ...
                        Regards,
                        Paul Hadley
                        Paul Hadley

Comment

For anyone flying into DFW I am just about 40 minutes north of there (McKinney, TX) and plan on taking my van. Bottom line - if you plan on arriving DFW I could pick you up and we could be on our merry way. Donations for fuel would be greatly appreciated, of course. PM me if you feel you'd want to discuss options.

Jay Reid
                          9th Texas
                          Jay Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamer42 View Post
                            For anyone flying into DFW I am just about 40 minutes north of there (McKinney, TX) and plan on taking my van. Bottom line - if you plan on arriving DFW I could pick you up and we could be on our merry way. Donations for fuel would be greatly appreciated, of course. PM me if you feel you'd want to discuss options.

Jay Reid
                            9th Texas
                            Jay, contact David Parent (on this thread) - he lands in Longview TX, on your route to the event, at 10:00 AM on Wed March 14th. He needs a ride.
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamer42 View Post

Jay Reid
                              9th Texas
                              Jay-

Way to step up and make a difference! I have been very impressed at the random acts of kindness and offers of assistance display by those attending this event. It really shows one it has attracted those the biggest hearts and best attitudes.

Thank you
                              Jay Stevens
                              Tater Mess
                              Independent Volunteers
                              Iron Man Mess

Bummers, November 2009
                              In the Van, August 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X