Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rounds for BGR

Pards,

Many people seem worried about getting rounds to BGR in March. After speaking with Fred Baker, I want to let you all know that I am willing to drive rounds to the event for anyone out there who needs assistance. I would be happy to order rounds from Mike Watson and will drive them to the event Wednesday morning. All you have to do is contact me, tell me how many rounds you need, let me know if you are US or CS so I can order correct labels and then send me some money. The prices are as follows:

$5.50 for a package of 10 .58 caliber rounds without caps. Add $1.50 for 12 caps to be inluded in the package. .69 caliber rounds are $6.50 per pack without caps and $8.00 with. These are Mike's prices and I will not make one dime on this. I only want to help those who are in need. Please feel free to contact me at Bill@natvideo.com if you are interested.

Please contact me soon if you need rounds. I plan on sending an order in by Jan. 17th so you have two weeks to get things together.

Best regards, Bill.

Bill Treadway
    Co. A First Texas Infantry
    Co. A Forty-Fifth Mississippi Infantry
    Co. D Eighth Missouri Infantry (CS)

Re: Rounds for BGR

I live a stones throw from Mike Watson. If I can pick them up and save y'all on postage I'm headed to NW LA too... I don't know how law enforcement will like the concept of carrying 20,000 rounds though.
    Frank Aufmuth
    Frank Aufmuth
    When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Hi Frank,

I will coordinate with you on this. I am thinking it will be about 1,000 rounds or so that we'll need to bring. I'll know more when some orders come in.

Pards, Bill.
      Bill Treadway

Comment

Pards,

Please contact me soon if you are going to need rounds at BGR. I will be placing an order with Mike within the next week or so. Don't wait until the last minute!!

Best regards, Bill.
        Bill Treadway

Comment

Bill-

Out of curiostity, which arsenal stamps are we incorporating for this event for Federal and CS? Assuming St. Louis for Federal.... Just curious for those rolling their own.

It's awesome you're running point on this. Thanks.
          Jay Stevens
          Tater Mess
          Independent Volunteers
          Iron Man Mess
          Reenactor Preservation Coalition
          Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
          Lost Tribes, October 2009
          Bummers, November 2009
          Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
          The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
          In the Van, August 2010
          Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

If I were carrying rounds as a Confederate, they would be from the Tyler Aresnal.
            Tom Yearby
            Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

It is my pleasure to help.

I agree with Tom. I would think that English labeled/packaged rounds would also be appropriate. Please contact me soon if you need rounds!!

Best regards, Bill.
              Bill Treadway

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll be rolling my own, and was wondering how to pack them up. Trying to make an 'accurate' facimile of a British Enfield round sounds pretty involved, with the layers of paper, the wax, etc. (I attached a couple JPGs I found on www.horsesoldier.com). I know some articles exist on how to, though I've never tried it. But it would be interesting to be met with the dilemma of how to fit those larger 10 packs in your box while in the field.

Maybe I'll take an easier route and make them as from the Tyler Arsenal. Any info on if the 10-packs were labelled? Possibly similar to the Augusta Arsenal JPG attached? Or maybe just plain.

I read where enfield cartridges and caps were packaged separately within the same containers for shipment, as opposed to 12 caps wrapped and included in the bundle of 10 cartridges as the Federal arsenals did. Were caps wrapped up with the cartridges at the Confederate armories?

Dan Hadley
                Attached Files
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi Dan,

From my understanding (I verified this with Don Smith) that the problem with English manufactured rounds is that they were an inch longer than their American counterpart. The rounds themselves were rolled differently. The soldier would have to bite off the end with the round, pour the powder down the barrel, and then ram the projectile home. Basically, they were backwards when compared to American manufactured rounds and less efficient to load. The Houston Depot cartridge box was actually designed to accommodate the English rounds and was deeper due to the extra length of the English round.

Mike does produce a reproduction English label but his rounds are rolled in the American style. I have not seen a repro. round yet that follows the English style. That being said, English manufactured ammunition is appropriate for the BGR scenario.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I will chime in on this subject. Joe Blunt or Cody Mobley will probably have more information on this should anyone wish to contact them.

The orders for rounds are starting to come in. So please don't wait until the last minute. I will be sending a bulk order to Mike by January 26th.

Best regards, Bill.
                  Bill Treadway

Comment

As posted by Marse Baker earlier, I shall bring a bring a thousand generic unstamped rounds for sale at the event.
                    Prices to be posted later.
                    Dusty Lind
                    Running Discharge Mess
                    Texas Rifles
                    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Pards,

I just spoke wih Mike and he is ready to roll, pun intended. I plan on sending him a bulk order for rounds next week. If you need rounds, please get your order in to me by Friday the 26th. See you in the field.

Best regards, Bill.
                      Bill Treadway

Comment

Having known Mike Watson for many years I can verify that he knows how to roll the english rounds. He even showed me how to do it once and I know he has a few in his collection. If you want the english style you will have to ask for them.
                        Not only were they less efficient to load they are more involved to make. Time may be an issue so if you really want english rounds the best time to order them is about two weeks ago.:tounge_sm
                        I carried a set of Mikes english rounds in my Cartrige Box for many years until necessity required their use. I really hated parting with them. There was so much paper, glue, cardboard and wax I'd be willing to bet they are still sitting there on Mr. White's farm.
                        Frank Aufmuth
                        Frank Aufmuth
                        When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

To maybe bridge two posts here...... I used to have a copy of Mike's catalog, but have not been able to find it. Mike doesn't have a website (which I could find), so thought I would throw these out to see if anyone had the info, before I bothered him with a call. (Sounds like the man is busy!)

1. Do we know what Mike charges for the English style rounds? (As Frank alluded it may be too late, but if not for this event would be nice to have for living histories.)

2. A pard just put in an order with Bill for rounds. Does Mike offer a Tyler arsenal label for those rolling their own who may elect to use a label? Or, Bill, if you are ordering labeled bundles, which labels are you requesting for Fed and CS (if not Tyler)?

Figuring the later would grant some uniformity as though they came off the same wagon. Just a thought.

Thanks
                          Jay Stevens
                          Tater Mess
                          Independent Volunteers
                          Iron Man Mess
                          Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                          Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                          Lost Tribes, October 2009
                          Bummers, November 2009
                          Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                          The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                          In the Van, August 2010
                          Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Jay,

I would give Mike a call. He works a day job but he is home in the evenings. I am ordering "Tyler" labeled rounds for CS forces and "St. Louis" labeled rounds for Federals.

I did not know that Mike rolled English rounds in the proper way. So as far as what they cost and delivery time, you'll have to ask him. Give him a call as he is a very nice and helpful pard. I plan on calling him myself to ask about the English rounds. Hope that helps.

Best regards, Bill.
                            Bill Treadway

Comment

Jay,

I called Mike this afternoon. He does roll rounds in the proper English style. They do take more time for him to roll thus they are a bit more expensive. He charges $6.50 per pack of 10 rounds with no caps. He also told me that the original English rounds were not bundled with caps. The caps came separately. Mike said that he can have some English rounds rolled for BGR if anyone is so inclined.

Pards, Bill.
                              Last edited by firstexas; 01-24-2007, 08:34 PM. Reason: addition
                              Bill Treadway

Comment

Working...
                              X