No announcement yet.

CS Cavalry stragglers another plague on citizens during the Red River campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CS Cavalry stragglers another plague on citizens during the Red River campaign

Terre Lawson and her civilian crew have more to fear than Banks' Army, which was bad enough!

This from "In the Saddle with the Texans" Day-by-Day with Parson's Cavalry Brigade 1862-1865 (see website reading list).

Head quarters Wharton's Cav Corps
    In the field May 24th, 1864

Complaints from citizens and Dist Head quarters are continually made to these Head quarters of the depredations committed throughout the country by stragglers from the Cavalry. This evil must be corrected at once, Division Commanders will through Division and Brigade Provost Guards and by detail under good officers for this purpose have the county patrolled. All men absent without leave, will be taken to their respective 'Div Head qtrs' where they will be dismounted, the men sent to Div Head qtrs for assignment to the infantry or such other dispositions as it is deemed best should be made....

These stragglers pillage & destroy the sunstinence of the people while their brave comrades, are in the front battling with the Enemy. A few bad men of this kind blast the reputation for gallantry and discipline that Regts' Brigs' and Divs' establish by their soldierly conduct-They are a disgrace to their comrades, and each private in the ranks who does his duty, should feel an interest in seeing them brought to justice.

(signed) Maj Gen John A. Wharton
    Official (signed) F.B. Lubbock
    Lieut Col and A.A.G.
    L.W. Moore A.A.G
    J.M. Brandon A.A.G
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: CS Cavalry stragglers another plague on citizens during the Red River campaign

Doug,
    Are you sure that your living in Idaho? You sure come up with a lot of good tidbits on the Red River Campaign.

Thanks,
    Kevin Hall

Still stuck in Colorado

Comment

Re: CS Cavalry stragglers another plague on citizens during the Red River campaign

I've seriously considered putting the lot of us on the road to avoid the armies. As it is, we may take to the hills with our foodstuffs and household goods as the sounds of battle draws near.

And personally, I acquired a stout walking cane to aid me in fleeing. Likely it will only serve to slow me down.

The bulk of civilians will be arriving on site on Sunday, with 3 households from Kentucky, and one from Alabama. As the week progresses, we will be joined by other households from Tennessee and Missouri, and additional refugees will wander in from California, Mississippi, and the Nations.

Children, chicken crates, blood hounds and other assorted creatures domestic and wild will round out the caravan.

Since we are in the uplands, water is as dear to us as it is to the army, and civilians may be found ranging far beyound their areas in search of wood, water, and game. Times are hard here as well, and these folks are not the prosperous planters of the Cane River.

In dealing with these civilians, the army should be aware of the following:

Civilian men who appear to be infirm are infirm.

Civilian women who appear to be pregnant, are pregnant.

In dealing with children---at no time should any child be separated from the civilian adult they are traveling with. Some of these children are very young.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Terre I consider your part in this to be supremely important, as indeed it was in 1864. Every single source talks about the interaction and difficult situation the civilians of the area found themselves faced with, from both sides. I have no doubt your folks will acquit themselves extremely well, as they always do, and am personally looking forward to this aspect of the event as much as anything.

If we meet in the howling wilderness and if the boys and I look hungry, we are! :)

Good luck and God Speed as you prepare and hit the road to Louisiana.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
        X