Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Background Info Posted

All,

A tip of my hat to Mr. Dan Munson for his work in putting together a very good capsule of the 81st Ill. His research showed some very interesting things, one thing of prime interest being that the 81st likely fielded only three companies in the Red River Campaign. We have accordingly shaped the Federal battalion to reflect this.

You can access Dan's oustanding research by clicking on the "Federal Guidelines" section of the main page.

This shortcut will take you directly there- http://www.banksgrandretreat.com/fedhistory1.html

Again, my sincere thanks to Dan for his work on this.

One month to go boys!

Regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Federal Background Info Posted

Fred,

Not to create controversy with the history offered, but in Newsome's book, "Experience in the War of the Great Rebellion" (from the recommended reading list on the event website), on page 124-5, he clearly states that on April 7th, "Most of our regiment went on the Thos. E. Tutt, but three of our companies went on other boats: Co. "I" on the Adriatic, Co. "H" on the Diadem, and Co. "B" on the South Wester."

Roger's statement shows he and his staff taking up one whole boat, while entire companies occupied other boats. That doesn't make logistical sense, does it?

Having read the order quoted on the website in comparison to Newsome's comments, I'm inclined to believe it is a misinterpretation of the text of the report. Perhaps Rogers was simply pointing out who was in command on each boat or perhaps it was an omission on his part to mention the balance of the regiment on his boat.

Newsome says the the call for Veteran enlistments came in early August 1863 and that Rogers actually threatened to arrest the recruiting officers found in his camp. Newsome's comments make it clear that he felt the boys were being misled about the reenlistment period. In the very next paragraph, Newsome says an order comes that each officer is offered 20 days leave of absence and each enlisted man 30 days furlough, with only 5% absent at a time, but he does not tie this vacation from the army to the reenlistments (pages 80-81). And, since officers do not enlist, why would they receive an absence in connection to this reenlistment?

Additionally, Newsome observes that three men from each company of the entire regiment received their 30 day furloughs (which were being taken in shifts to keep the regiment from being depleted) as the regiment formed to begin the Red River campaign (see the footnote on page 110). That doesn't sound like all those re-enlisting were given furloughs before the expedition, just a few.

Now I haven't read Dyer's book, so I don't know what it says, but I disagree with the assumption that only three companies were present at Red River.

Newsome's book is a great read and I recommend everyone read it, whether you are going to the event or not. It is a great account and the details he provides are a tremendous insight into the functioning of a company.
    Joe Smotherman

Comment

Newsome's book is THE book on this regiment, and for sheer detail of soldier life is a great delight to read. The entire regiment went on the Red River Campaign, as is obvious from Pogue's post and any number of other passages in Newsome's book (he was Capt of Co B). Dan Munson's contribution is excellent, but without Newsome's book, he missed the best source. To be fair, you can only get the book one place - the Jackson County Historical Society (see link on the BGR website). It has to be the best regimental not sold by the usual suspects I have ever read. As Pogue says, it is one of the very best sources I have ever seen on how a company really works.

Many of the federal regiments involved were in the same boat vis a vis reenlisting and promised furloughs. The poor 48th OVI had their furloughs postponed and instead most of them spent 6+ months in the CS prison at Camp Ford, Tyler TX, after they sacrificed themselves and were largely surrounded at Mansfield. The good news was it was the lowest per capita death rate of any prison in the south, due to an effective prisoner chain of command and good climate.

So imagine that you are a veteran Union soldier, "loaned" to a commander almost mutually disliked by the rank and file, marching through a hostile countryside best described as a "howling wilderness."

The rebs melt away in front of you until the disaster at Mansfield reveals the poor coordination and top level leadership but desperate valor of your army and the toughness and strong leadership of your enemy. The next day you win the terrible battle of Pleasant Hill, but you retreat anyway, leaving all your dead and wounded in the hands of the defeated enemy. You continue to get the upper hand in almost every scrape with your pursuers, killing their best General (Tom Green), but continue to flee toward the fleet and safety. You are angry at your commander, perhaps sensing the disarray and disagreement at HQ, maybe a bit ashamed and confused and in no mood to be lenient to either the populace or the bushwhakers or the uniformed rebs that are hounding you at every turn.

You are tired and disgusted but still proud and undefeated. Desertion is not something you seriously contemplate, but you are certainly looking forward to getting the heck out of the Howling Wilderness and back to civilization and under a commander you respect where war makes a bit more sense.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

I certainly respect General Green, but dispute the fact that he was the Confederate's best General for that leaves out Dick Taylor and numerous other generals that were equal or superior to General Green. Besides, it was not the Union Army that killed Green, but a shell from a Navy gunboat sighted by periscope that decapitated him. Don't credit the army with some the navy did, Doug!;)
        Tom Yearby
        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Working...
        X