The Mother of all Preservation Raffles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mother of all Preservation Raffles

Guys, if you add up the cost of the donated items it comes to approx $1600. I am bowled over by this generosity. Now it is time for us to step up to the plate, buy tickets and support these vendors now and in the future for their goodwill.

All proceeds go to Fort DeRussy as seed money to help them buy originial earthworks not part of the saved land. As you know, in previous years the Friends of Fort DeRussy have lost their reconstruction funds to Katrina and Rita relief, as indeed has happended to many other historical entities in the Gulf Coast area.

Raffle details:

I will be selling raffle tickets to participants at the event site in both camps before, during (first person :) ) and after the event. The raffle will take place immediately following the event (about 11:00 AM Sunday) and all the articles will be awarded (while you guys are still awake). Most prizes remain in the hands of the donor vendors and winners will contact them to collect. Each winner will be given a 3x5 card with contact info. It will go fast so I urge all ticket buyers to stay for the raffle.

You have about a one in nine chance to win, so pretty good odds. There are no filler prizes as one can see from the list.

Ticket prices are $2 each, 6 for $10 and 15 for $20.

As per the website (with an update list:

[LEFT]The following vendors and individuals have graciously donated the items listed below for the event preservation raffle in support of Fort DeRussy. Our immediate task in response to this generosity and goodwill is to buy raffle tickets. We humbly ask that you please remember them when it is time to upgrade or add to your impression! Show your appreciation, visit their websites and send them a note to say "thanks." The organizers of Banks' Grand Retreat wish to thank these businesses for their continued support of Battlefield Preservation, the Authentic Campaigner movement and in particular this event.

Wambaugh, White and Co
    Producers of museum-grade Civil War uniforms and accessories for the historian who demands accurate reproductions.

1. Museum Grade Federal Fatigue Blouse (sack coat)
    2. Cincinnati Depot Shelter Half – entirely hand sewn

Chris Daley

3. Imported under drawers
    4. Wool flannel federal contract issue shirt
    5. Leather bound copy of Gilham's Manual (the last one in existence)

Don Smith, TMD Co.

6. US Early War belt of wax flesh leather with early US Plate
    7. Iron dyed waist belt with copper CS “egg” belt plate
    8. British Cap Box

Ezra Barnhouse Goods

9. Period writing box with patriotic motif, pencils, stationery and envelopes

Fred Baker

Baker@hebdrix.edu
    10. Penitentiary Jacket

Cody Mobley

11. TBA - looking like a pair of "Mansfield Trousers" as seen in the Mansfield, LA battlefield museum

Joe Hoffman, Jersey Skillet Licker

12. Hand knit wool socks by Terre Lawson

Chris Utley

13. Knit Tam (Cap)

Neill Rose
    Ironscout@truvista.net
    14. Winner’s choice of the following:
    -roller buckle belt
    -frame belt
    -civilian trouser belt with original brass buckle

Randy Ubben

15. Handcrafted Pipe

Anonymous Donor
    16. Wambaugh, White and Company - winner's choice of a CS 4 button jacket or museum grade Federal Sack Coat (gift certificate)
    17. Chris Daley - winner's choice of a 2 volume Leather Bound Copy of Revised Hardee’s or 3 volume Casey''s Manual (gift certificate)

Pamela Lind
    18. Pair of period hand knit wool socks
    [LEFT]

See you in one week comrades - bring your loose cash. I will make change :D
    Last edited by DougCooper; 03-07-2007, 12:07 AM.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: The Mother of all Preservation Raffles

Doug and all,

I have heard from John and Beth Crabb (Ezra Barnhouse Goods).

They will be providing a period writing box, just newly added to their offerings. I understand BGR will be the first "viewing" of this item. The writing box includes a patriotic motif as well as stationary, pencils, and envelopes.

My sincere thanks to ALL the vendors who have stepped up to provide goods for this effort. A tip of the cap too to Mr. Cooper, well known in these circles for his efforts at preservation awareness and fundraising. He'll be on the prowl at BGR, floating in both camps, to get tickets for the above items sold.

All participants are invited to arrive with a full wallet and leave with one substantially reduced.

Kind regards,
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Fred, You taking donations? How about a pair of period hand knit wool socks from "Dusty's Drawers and Other Dry Goods"?
      If they were good enough for the mansfiled march Im sure they might come in handy?....Dusty Lind
      Dusty Lind
      Running Discharge Mess
      Texas Rifles
      BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Dusty,

Sho' nuff. I still have my two pairs, plus the gloves and knit hat. They serve me well and kept my tootsies in good shape on that Mansfield to Pleasant Hill jaunt a few years back.

Contact Marse Cooper if you are able to put a pair or two up.

With thanks,
        Fred Baker

Comment

Dusty:

Maybe someone would like to win something for there best lady. I would be willing to make and donate a 100% wool sontag if your interested.

Regards,
          Augusta Carr Scarbrough
          Preservation not Profit
          CWPT,Museum of the Confederacy,SWCW and co-ordinator of volunteers for Ft Negley

Comment

Originally posted by Gallo de Cielo View Post
            Dusty,

Sho' nuff. I still have my two pairs, plus the gloves and knit hat. They serve me well and kept my tootsies in good shape on that Mansfield to Pleasant Hill jaunt a few years back.

Contact Marse Cooper if you are able to put a pair or two up.

With thanks,
            It is not a stetch to say that Ms Lind's wool socks saved more than a few pard's feet at the 2004 16 mile Mansfield Preservation March. We can add em Dusty - bring them along.

Barbara - can you send a photo and description to coop2911@msn.com? thanks!
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

Comment

Mr. Cooper,

I take it that you will have to be present at the event to participate in the raffle.
              Is this correct assumption?

Thanks,
              [FONT=Courier New]Mark Maranto[/FONT]

Comment

Mr. Cooper is likely on an airplane somewhere.

Like the Tshirts for this event, you have be present at the event to purchase raffle tickets.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Mark,

Indeed, must be present. We definitely pondered this one but decided ultimately that a guy who had flown in from London or France or driven from California would probably not be thrilled to see raffle items going to someone who didn't even attend the event.

That said, if you'd like to squeeze in, just send me a PM. I can handle about 10 last-minute additions if it comes to it. There are guys coming from out your way so a carpool isn't out of the question.

Cordially,
                  Fred Baker

Comment

Thanks for answering my question.

Have an enjoyable event.
                    [FONT=Courier New]Mark Maranto[/FONT]

Comment

Fred, Doug, and maybe even Old Tom,
                      The donation from us shall be in the order of a gift certificate. The lucky winner shall have their choice of having the hand made socks, hand made for them. Their choice of color or colors (like contrasting heels and toes) as well as style, yes we offer several patterns. Not to mention size which always matters.
                      We promise a quick turn around once the order is received. I hope this small token shall help in the CWPT?....Dusty
                      Dusty Lind
                      Running Discharge Mess
                      Texas Rifles
                      BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Karin Timour has offered up a pair of her outstanding hand knit socks as item number 19 in the raffle. Karin makes everything from a great copy of a surviving pair of AoT socks to Federal issue.

She will make the winner a pair to order.

Happy Feet

thanks Karin!
                        Soli Deo Gloria
                        Doug Cooper

Comment

Dear Doug:

You're entirely welcome, happy to contribute. With socks from Mrs. Lawson, Mrs. Lind and me, this raffle will be a real treat for some lucky feet.

Sincerely,
                          Karin Timour
                          Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
                          Warm. Durable. Documented.
                          Atlantic Guard Sodliers' Aid Society
                          Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

It's too bad the raffle for the socks is occurring after the event, vice before the step off.... there are plenty of feet that would benefit from such great items during the many miles we'll be covering at BGR.
                            Brian Hicks
                            Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
                              It's too bad the raffle for the socks is occurring after the event, vice before the step off.... there are plenty of feet that would benefit from such great items during the many miles we'll be covering at BGR.
                              Good point Brian - Terry Sorchy will have some wool socks for sale on Wed by W. W. and Company, as well as cotton. I will have a second pair to sell as well - by Terre Lawson, all proceeds going to Fort DeRussy :)
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

Comment

Working...
                              X