Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maps

All,

A set of maps arrived yesterday fresh from the desk of AC member Tom Smith's drafting table.

They look outstanding and I wanted to give Tom a nod publicly for his work.

Many know of Mr. Smith's skills already but he has done some fantastic work for Banks' Grand Retreat and I know that his efforts will keep Mr. Duffer and Mr. Aufmuth from getting hopelessly lost in the howling woods.

One week to go!
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Re: Maps

During the original campaign, maps were critical. There were any number of farm and plantation roads, main roads, river roads, etc, that mirror the various side trails and main trails on our route. Easy to get lost. The wagons will be taking side roads from time to time and meeting the troops at intersections for resupply, just as during the original campaign.

We are fortunate to have for background an outstanding book "Reflections of Uncle Silas, the Civil War Reminisences of Major Silas T Grisamore, 18th Louisiana Inf." He was Brigade QM in charge of the baggage train for Gray's Brigade, Polignac's Division, during the campaign. The book is great reading.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

My map is in my head.:)
      Tom Yearby
      Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Perhaps it bodes as a dark omen that Doug's post about maps was post number 666 for him. Either the maps or Doug should take caution.

The map I will be using is the Conway, Ark yellowpages map. It compares roughly to the BGR site and as I will be the Federal column, I know Mr. Duffer will appreciate the insight I bring with regard to knowledge of the area.

Our aiming point will be Toad Suck Park. Those coming through on I-40 are welcome to stop and see this fine place in person on their way to the event.

Regards,
        Fred Baker

Comment

Fred: Thanks for your post. Something I need to pass on to the respective commanders: Here in the 21st. century map reading is something of a lost art. At one event years ago I was told that I had mapped the wrong area (!). A week later I went out to the area with the event organizer and discovered that they didn't know how to orient themselves with the map and thus had placed themselves a full half mile away from where they were supposed to be!

When assigning someone on your staff to carrying and/or reading the map, make sure they have some previous map and compass experience (Boy Scout training will work just fine). When starting, make sure they locate on map exactly where you are and then task them to frequently (very frequently) update your position. This is not only good to keep from getting lost, but will be of use for your later after-action report.

These maps are to be used, so don't be afraid to mark them up as you go along. If it is possible, I would like to re-issue the map later with the respective troop positions noted as a memento of the event.
          Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
          Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
          Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
          Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
          Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Our aiming point will be Toad Suck Park
            Ah yes, the Toad Suck Ferry. Whatever happened to American icons such as that heh?
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Oh, before I forget, another side note to commanders....Take along a small amount of tracing paper in your kit. Use it to trace portions of the map for use for locating pickets or for directing patrols where to go...You'll find it comes in handy "One picture is worth a thousand words" ect.

Unlike Jeb Magruder on the Peninsula, you'll know far more about Kitsatchie Bayou than the banks of the Lulubala in the Congo!:wink_smil
              Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Reb View Post
                My map is in my head.:)
                Yes Uncle Tom, but you've marched this thing, what, 5 times since the first of the year alone?

Afraid I'll get lost in my own 'backyard',
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

and remember moss always grows on the north side of trees.
                  Dusty Lind
                  Running Discharge Mess
                  Texas Rifles
                  BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Could either of the commanders for BGR please contact me? I am dying to know how my mapping efforts worked out.
                    Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.

Comment

Tom, I imagine they are sleeping it off right about now.

The only thing that has had me up and writing is 'old bones' and then I go lay down again.

From what I observed though, the mapping worked very well, and was referred to often. With an army way behind schedule, and at some points dodging the Forest Service's scheduled 'controlled burns', those maps were vital, and an ever present help in time of need.

My lack of directional sense is famous--folks had to go with me each time on the twice daily water runs to make sure I got there and back again. I'm pretty incompetent on that score, and had a 'getting lost' whistle around my neck just like our children did.

But when I peered over Fred's shoulder near to midnight on Thursday to see where and how this whole plan was changing, that map made sense to me--far more than the modern Forest Service map I'd been puzzeling over. Wish I'd had one too.
                      Terre Hood Biederman
                      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by tomarch View Post
                        I am dying to know how my mapping efforts worked out.
                        Couldn't have asked for a better site layout. A man with a 30 seconds of time and a small pocketknife could easily draw the Celtic cross (trail route the ring, paved roads the cross itself) event map in the soft white sand, and then enjoy a perfectly good map of the Kisatchie World Tour on his own hook plus or minus an armadillo or one of Desoto's pigs.

Dusty Lind had a map about the same size as a sheet of plywood (after Katrina, is it legal to say "plywood" in Louisiana?), and it was dang detailed and wonderful. Maybe that was one of yours. Heck, it even had color on it in places.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Yup, the one Mr. Lind had was one of mine. Many thanks to Fred Baker for sending me the Forest Service map to go from. In reality, any map of the area would be vague and sketchy in it's details.

P.S. As it was the practice to include the sources used in making a map, I included two "persons" who also assisted me with data: Lt. G.O.Ogle (google earth) and Lt. M.Apquist (Mapquest):D
                          Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.

Comment

The map that Terre saw was mine and was a modern one provided by Mr. Geoff Lehmann, who was in our ranks but earns his living in the very district we came to know so well during our time in the area. Goeff is not one to seek even remote attention but he deserves much for what he did. The map Dusty had was also a modern map, similar to mine, though with fewer rips and fold-wear I'd imagine.

I do know that Col. Aufmuth used his map quite a bit. Every time I would pop between the two armies, he had the map spread upon his ground sheet and was studying it. I would think the useage he gained from it was worth your efforts alone.

Regards,
                            Fred Baker

Comment

Tom, the map was astonishingly well done. I was able to figure out where we were the rest of the event after examining it for only about 10 minutes when the Colonel turned it over for a moment on day 2.

The credits were very cool - Lt M. Apquest and Lt G. O. Ogle ;)

Having "inside guy" Geoff Lehmann was huge, and it was great to shake his hand at the end. Geoff was responsible for the controlled burn of much of the forst we walked through a week or so before the event. It gave the area a strange spooky feel and duplicated many of the accounts of the troops as they marched past burned houses and fields in the wake of Bank's army. As we crunched through it the burned branches left black stripes on oour uniforms.
                              Last edited by DougCooper; 03-19-2007, 07:32 PM.
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                              X