Many Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Thanks

I would like to thank Tom and Fred for such a great event. I told Tom that I am sorry for him and Fred that they would not be able to see and experience the event the way the rest of us did because they had so much other stuff to worry about. You fellows did an outstanding job and should be proud of this event. I would also like to thank Colonel Aufmuth for doing such a fine job leading the battalion and allowing me the chance to serve as the Major. Frank was always thinking way ahead trying to plan out his next chance to strike at the enemy. Next is the civilians, thanks so much for feeding us poor, filthy southern soldiers. Those stewd apples may have been the best thing I have ever eaten. My hands were black as coal but I had no container handy so I had the lady poor them directly in my hands and ate them up without hesitation. Lastly I would like to thank the men in the ranks that gladly performed all tasks asked of them without delay. You boys are true hardcores for sure and no one can claim otherwise. I feel for the poor bastards that missed this one for whatever reasons though I tend to think that the strenuous conditions scared off more than a few men. As Mr. Yearby said, "you are the Ironmen of re-enacting." I took away so many fond memories from this it is hard to name which was the best part for me. Thank you all for such dedication and determination.

I do have to commend one man in particular, TJ, you are by far the toughest soldier I have ever seen in my years of doing this. You also have the best impression I have ever come across. For anyone that does not know, TJ walked almost every step of this thing with bare feet. He went over all terain without hesitation and even had enough energy at the end of the march to run around both the US and CS battalions as they marched forward.

Best Regards and I hope you all get home safely,
    Stephen Johns
    Stephen Johns

Save Mansfield

Re: Many Thanks

The men who marched the bottoms and hills of Kisatchie for five days are indeed the Iron Men of this hobby. Many are men who seldom or never read nor post on forums dealing with the Civil War. They are not keyboard campaigners, but I would march to hell and back with them all for they have set the bar high for those that wish to share the misery and brother hood that was experienced by the real soldiers of the Civil War and of all wars. My hat is off to them those Iron Men of Kisatchie.
    Tom Yearby
    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

To All at BGR,
      Many, many Thanks to ALL that put together the event this past week at BGR. From Tom and Fred to all the extra logistics done by Dusty and his crew. My hats off to you.
      The civilians that were there were top rate. If it were not for Mrs Lawson and ALL the other WONDERFUL ladies and men that interacted with us and fed us saturday night we would have been a sorry lot. And what can I say about the Secesh, you boys surely pushed us a might, good job Frank. You boys are the real deal.
      I must admit when I got there on wednesday I was a little surprised. I had originally when I decided on going was going to be enlisted. Then I went to LT. then to Cpt of Co. A, then to Battalion CO on site. So I had to wing a lot of things, nothing was planned.I have never been so tired yet so satisfied at the end of an event as I was at this one. I have also never been as proud of any group of men as I was of you boys in the Federal ranks. You followed orders, you performed advance and rear guard without question, you made a stand where it was needed.
      I realized also that it is much easier to attack going forward then it is to retreat and turn around a force and prepare to defend your road networks. You boys did that admirably. I hope no one on the federal side was disappointed by the fact that we did not have more of a tactical situation with the Johnnies. That was not our job. Ours was to hold the road crossing in unfamiliar terrain till the trains past then follow up. This we did very successfully, thanks to your effort.
      Each night the company commanders had there men take pickett shifts and maintain them all night.
      Company Commanders, you were superb, Capts, Murray, Merrick, Lts Bodoh, Czezanski(wrong spelling sorry). Sgt Major Hicks, I dont think we could survive without you gunny. All the senior Sgts, and junior Sgts, Cpls and enlisted men, you were the reason I have been doing this for as long as I have.
      My Heart Felt Thanks to Everyone
      Terry Sorchy
      Federal Lt Commanding

Comment

Terry,

A shining example of plan, plan, plan, drill, drill, drill, then go where the terrain and the fortunes of war take you, without regret to the shape of the original plan. You have learned your craft very well.

A fine field promotion------and your actions on Saturday showed your understanding of duty and honor as you pressed forward, when you could have rested under the shade of the trees.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I can only echo the thanks that others have proffered. This was truly a unique one for me. I came to it wanting to have a better taste of what campaigning was like for the real boys. Showing up on Friday evening and leaving on Sunday by 2 really doesn't give one much of an idea. But Wednesday evening until mid-day Sunday does allow one to have an inkling of understanding.

Mr. Yearby and I were discussing that a bit and he said that a big difference was that we knew our experience was going to end at a certain time. The real boys had no idea when it would end and only saw an immediate future of the same thing day after day. I know I will have a better appreciation and understanding when I read accounts of marches and campaigns now and that was one of the goals I had for myself in attending this event.

I thought we made a pretty good looking set of campaigning Confederate soldiers. I would also like to thank the men of Company A and especially those of 1st platoon. As first corporal you fellows made my job a lot easier. I never heard a complaint about a detail, you were up and ready before anyone else, you jumped up and formed up for picket in the middle of the night with nary a whimper and by the time it was over, Forrest was a pro at stacking muskets.

I really feel good about being at this one.
          Last edited by Michael Comer; 03-19-2007, 11:41 PM.
          Michael Comer
          one of the moderator guys

Comment

Terry before the event we had only spoken on the phone. It was good working with you and look forward to working with you agian.
            On the Confederate side we thought we were vastly outnumbered and I had to lie to Terry about our actual strength. Sorry Terry no hard feelings I hope.
            Fred and Tom I have thanked you publicly and privately thanks again.

I was proud of my men to echo Tom they were true Iron men. I gave a lot of orders and made the men do a lot of things but I never heard a moan. Even when I knew the men were tired it never ceased to amaze me that they always gave that extra push. To the Officers (Captains Jackman, Tredway, and Tucker) and NCO's thank you for helping me hold it together. Major Stephen Johns we made a great team we could have been the Lewis and Clark of the Red River expedition. Sgt. Major Adam Johnson thanks for all the running you did.
            Looking back there were times I was too tactical and times I could not be tactical enough but it was always about the scenario.

For you federals we saw your lines and quite frankly it seemed folly to rush them head on. Your flanks were inviting yet you were stubborn there were times I wanted to throw rocks because you wouldn't just go away. There was one place you might have stayed longer but someone told me you took one of my platoons and so we rushed forward to take one of yours. I later learned you only captured two men. How rumors can effect morale in a battle! Still I was glad to see you retreat down the road.

To those three lovely ladies with the Ox drawn wagon that I danced with thank you. Whether it be Oregon Trail, St. Louis Society, or Living History Stuff you have carved a place in our hearts.

In my 20 years of reenacting this one tops the list.
            Frank Aufmuth
            Frank Aufmuth
            When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy View Post

To those three lovely ladies with the Ox drawn wagon that I danced with thank you. Whether it be Oregon Trail, St. Louis Society, or Living History Stuff you have carved a place in our hearts.

In my 20 years of reenacting this one tops the list.
              Frank Aufmuth
              Indeed Frank. Some of my favorite enduring memories of you at this event are:

1. The Hat
              2. The Whistle
              3. The "Second Battalion" (your name is now Frank "Prince John Magruder" Aufmuth)
              4. You and Rex Porter carrying the lovely ladies across the creek on day 4...then seeing that nasty sore on your heel and knowing that no amount of moleskin would help.

Thanks for you leadership, again - we will always follow the whistle.
              Last edited by DougCooper; 03-20-2007, 04:53 AM.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
              X