AAR or something like it....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAR or something like it....

Banks Grand Retreat, for me, exceeded expectations. Having enjoyed a number of other moving and fighting events which lasted from late Friday night until mid morning on Sunday, I thought I had endured long marches and hard campaigning in this hobby. But….. with this event going from first light on Thursday morning, until mid morning on Sunday, I now realize how that extra 36 hours of campaigning can make a big, big difference in how we experience a campaign event.

Praise can not be strong enough for Fred Baker and Tom Yearby. Their work has truly paid off. Compliments must also be given to all of the other supporters of this event, such as Dusty Lind, Mrs. Lawson and the other civilians.

As already mentioned, the distance covered on the first day did not reach the planned bivouc sites. An emergency MedEvac (thank you to the men in the Federal Column who helped make the field expedient stretcher, and who transported the fella off the ridge line), as well as the general fatigue which wore on the men caused our pace to be slowed and the distance shortened. It was at this point that the abilities of the Organizers, and the support of Dusty Lind and the civilians really paid off. The relocating of water and feed for the draft animals all took place without the men in the column ever being aware of the movements behind the scenes.

The support of the two Mule drawn wagons was exceptional, as well as the sight of a four Ox drawn wagon. This is the first campaigning event at which I have ever seen such authentic logistical support, and as such, it really added to my enjoyment of the event.

The horse drawn Artillery was also a site. On Friday evening when they drew into position on the top of a Hill mass, just as the Federals were withdrawing up to that point… well.. let’s just say that without the Artillery, the Confederates most likely would not have been halted for the evening.

To the Officers and Men in the Federal Column, I’d really like to express my gratitude and appreciation at how well all of you soldiered. I was, and always will be proud to have served as the Federal Sergeant Major for this event.

To the civilians who portrayed the refugees... all of you did an outstanding job! Those first three women we came across, once we found that batch of letters from the Confederate Commander.. well... I hope we weren't to brutal in ransacking your belongings. But I must say.. that jar of peach preserves was outstanding! We passed it down the Federal line, and each man had a spoon full of it while the skirmishing was taking place in the distance!

At the second refugee encampment, we herded the women and children together, and had to get a little rough at one point when two of the women ran up to snatch a bloodied shirt we had found. In that brief exchange there was a bit of yelling and shoving during which I pressed against one of the ladies abdomen and felt the hard ribbings of her corset and demanded to know if she weren't hiding something there! She replied rather incredulously that there was no way I'd ever know, as I had no right to search in such a location! Well... seeing as I've been a married man for many a year, I knew that tone and look well, I realized that there was no hope in ascertaining whether or not she had secreted papers there or not.

The reactions of the refugees was well played. Thank you to all who participated.

And I'd like to also praise the medical staff who doctored and nursed all of the twisted knees, rolled ankles and blistered feet.

To the women who carried those heavy pots of hot food (and authentic food at that!) to the Federal Camp on Saturday night... you were life savers as the men were very fatigued. I fear that the thought of another night of fat back and hard tack was almost unbearable. The hot food you brought in realy rejuvenated them,and greatly boosted their morale. Thank you!

One of the refugee women approached me on Sunday, and informed me that she had attended my retirement from the Marine Corps back in Oct. of 2003 out in California (forgive me Mam' as I can not recall your name at the moment) and that was quite a surprise!

I read somewhere that we covered 22 miles over these three and half days of marching. Wow… quite a feat for so many of us whom are not as spry or young as a few of the fellas where. But we survived. Shared misery breeds bragging rights. And everybody who made it, has earned those rights.

Take your hats off and let the heat out Gentlemen….. we can rest now.
    Last edited by BrianHicks; 03-19-2007, 05:25 PM.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: AAR or something like it....

Backing up is always harder than going forward, and the fact that you did it so well is quite a testament, especially in the brutal muddy and hilly conditions of the first two days. The other thing I thought interesting was that it appeared to me much easier to see you then for you to see us owing to the colors of the uniforms - you in blue and we in dirt.

At the last battle/skirmish on Sunday AM any notions that we might have had that the federals were worn out or dispirited were quickly dispelled when they came down the hill at us.

Folks, I cannot imagine how Terry Sorchy must have felt when he went from company officer to company commander in 5 days, to suddenly federal battalion commander when he arrived at the event, dressed in his 1st Lt uniform. Few would have been equal to the task at the single most ambitious event I have ever attended. Well done Terry.

Brian I know you had a huge hand in making this a great event, and want to thank you for that...and the sip from your canteen on Sunday morning. I don't think you ever retired from the Corps - but we as a hobby are dang glad you have more time on your hands.

On Saturday evening on the skirmish line, one of our boys yelled over to "give us Banks or give us Hicks" (based on the civilians ID of you as the major transgressor at their camp).

Your picket replied that we could have Banks, but that they were keeping you. Good move.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Barbara McCreary attended your retirement ceremony--she will be on the road back to California for several days. She is a shining example of how we can learn a person's heart from their writing---we took her unmet and unknown into this community, solely on the basis of what we had seen of her on this board. She pulled her weight, and then some.

And later on down in my AAR, you'll hear more about that precious bloody shirt, and its true life significance.

Had y'all not unhanded it easily, its quite likely that Amy would have pulled that concealed butcher knife from her bosum and retrieved that shirt from you in short order.
      Terre Hood Biederman
      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
        To the civilians who portrayed the refugees... all of you did an outstanding job! Those first three women we came across, once we found that batch of letters from the Confederate Commander.. well... I hope we weren't to brutal in ransacking your belongings. But I must say.. that jar of peach preserves was outstanding! We passed it down the Federal line, and each man had a spoon full of it while the skirmishing was taking place in the distance!
        Well, I'm glad somebody was able to enjoy it! I'll keep the preference in mind for the future. Maybe! I think it was the bit with the chemise on the bayonet that was the most distressing to one of our number. :D
        Ginger Lane
        Arlington, Texas

Comment

I eco every sentiment that the good Sgt. Major expressed. I could not have put it any better. My hat is off to Company A. When my pard Terry Sorchy asked me to come to the event 2 weeks before because he needed me to be 2nd. Lt. I reluctantly agreed because I knew I would have little time either to prepare my body physically or my mind mentally for the event let alone to be an officer. I am so glad that I agreed. Then when he was bumped up to battalion command panic set in. I was very happy that he had a back up for company command in Mr. Miller knowing first hand of Shawn's quality and ability as a company officer. When he went down the morning of the first day and the reality of my command set in panic set in again. Thank you boys for your support. I could not have asked for a better group of NCOs. Orderly Sgt. Monson, your tireless efforts were greatly appreciated. No one works harder in a company than the 1st. Sgt. you handled the job well. Sgt. Arnold and Sgt Todd you two are the best platoon Sgts. I have worked with. Your leadership was outstanding. 1st Cpl. Malice your contribution first as Cpl then as Sgt of 1st platoon was great. I cannot forget my other 3 Cpls. either, you guys did an outstanding job. 1st platoon; thank you for your steadfast quiet steadiness and reliability as well as fighting like hornets. Great Job! 2nd platoon, thank you for keeping life interesting and me on my toes as well as fighting like hornets. Great Job! Company A, you are an outstanding group of men and I would march 21-22 mile with you again. It was a pleasure serving with you.

Company A; Rest

2nd. Lt. Brad Bodoh
          Commanding Company A, 81st IL Vols.
          Mess #3
          ONV
          WIG

Comment

Mr. Bodoh,
            It was a genuine pleasure to serve under your command. The fact that you did such a fantastic job with merely two weeks preperation speaks volumes about your character and abilities.

I hope my frustrated, weary, veteran, sick of running from the Johnnies persona didn't give you too much stress out there. I was so relieved when Mr. Munson pointed out that flogging had been taken off the books as an option in '61, but I'm a little nervous about what will take its place for me. ;-)
            Last edited by AZReenactor; 03-20-2007, 02:46 PM.
            Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
            1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
            Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Troy,
              I think everyone including myself was tired of retreating. If history did'nt write the script we could have done it a little different. But as it was with our skirmishes and our marches we just got into camps at the write time. One thing I found out in that landscape being chased, and having to turn around a large body of men in a very small space, you take what the manual says and then adopt it for your needs at the time. If I did not seem to be echoing the manual verbatum it is because there were no manuevers in the books for some of the things we had to do. I hope my fatigued mess up on "in the into line faced to the rear" command on sunday didnt detract anyone from the event. I simply forgot the by company into line command. At that point my mind was a bit fried.
              Cheers
              Terry Sorchy

Comment

Terry,
                We certainly could have. I'd have loved to have had a real crack at showing the Johnnies what we were made of. Had we been under Sherman rather than Banks we possibly could have. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by AZReenactor View Post
                  Mr. Bodoh,
                  It was a genuine pleasure to serve under your command. The fact that you did such a fantastic job with merely two weeks preperation speaks volumes about your character and abilities.

I hope my frustrated, weary, veteran, sick of running from the Johnnies persona didn't give you too much stress out there. I was so relieved when Mr. Munson pointed out that flogging had been taken off the books as an option in '61, but I'm a little nervous about what will take its place for me. ;-)
                  Troy,
                  It was great. It actually was just what I needed at the time and a great first person moment. It took my mind off my feet for a few minutes. My first reaction was to agree with you. My next reaction was wait a minute it is punishable if I agree with him; then, wait a minute, it is punishable for him and I am responsible for making that punishment happen. It was awesome. Thank you for the complements. It was a pleasure serving with you.

Brad Bodoh
                  Mess #3
                  ONV
                  WIG

Comment

Brad,
                    being thrown in command like that; Bully for you brother. Thank you for allowing 2nd platoon the opportunity to kick some hind quarters.

No quarter next time rebs, 2nd platoon is tired of chasing you cheeky fellows down.
                    Timothy L Arnold
                    Top Rail Mess of the Hard Case Boys

Hard Case Boys forum

Comment

Originally posted by FarbNoMore View Post
                      No quarter next time rebs, 2nd platoon is tired of chasing you cheeky fellows down.
                      Kinda hard to chase us Johnnies down with your backsides towards us!;)
                      Ron Moen
                      Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
                      CWPT
                      E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Originally posted by MarionRifles View Post
                        Kinda hard to chase us Johnnies down with your backsides towards us!;)
                        Ron,
                        While the script may have required the Federal brigade to retreat in general, there were at least a couple of opportunities for 2nd Platoon to do a little chasing at BGR. You can be certain we are very much looking forward to an opportunity to go toe to toe with you Johnnies without being happered by Banks' inneptness. :baring_te

Comment

Troy,

Rest assured that we were glad that Banks was leading you boys, instead of Sherman. We would have had one hell of a fight! Glad to hear you made it to the event.
                          Ron Moen
                          Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
                          CWPT
                          E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Originally posted by FarbNoMore View Post
                            Brad,
                            being thrown in command like that; Bully for you brother. Thank you for allowing 2nd platoon the opportunity to kick some hind quarters.

Ahh yes. In about 30 years, A Company, 2nd platoon's deeds will shine in the O.R.'s and in it's regimental history. I'm sure we will be a hit at the G.A.R. reunions too.:tounge_sm
                            sigpic
                            Grandad Wm. David Lee
                            52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
                            - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

My heart, mind and soul, are still out there in the woods.

I still haven't had ample time to digest everything. I have never come back from an event like this before. I don't seem to be the only one feeling this way.

Hope to post an AAR by this weekend.
                              Jay Stevens
                              Tater Mess
                              Independent Volunteers
                              Iron Man Mess
                              Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                              Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                              Lost Tribes, October 2009
                              Bummers, November 2009
                              Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                              The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                              In the Van, August 2010
                              Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X