Preservation funds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preservation funds

Well, it is now confirmed for all time that the true hardcores are also the most generous. We planned to sell raffle tickets only at the event because we wanted those who made the effort to get the chance for reward. We had precious litte time to do that as we stepped off shortly after the bulk of the participants had arrived and wanted to wind things up quickly on Sunday. The vendors stepped up and the particpants stepped up in amazing fashion. Dan Hadley and Jay Stevens sold way over $500 in T-shirts and the raffle brought in more than the value of the great prizes, at least $1700. Silas Tackitt added at least $150 from the sale of his newest manual (see the thread elswhere).

A final number will be published once the registration portion is determined after paying the bills and a matching donation is received by Rob Gobtrop's company to his very generous donation check. Rob even bought a bunch of raffle tickets as well. Patrick Reardon handed me a Ben Franklin and many other folks bought $50-60 worth of tickets. One man came up, dirty from head to toe just after we finished it and fished in his wallet for two dollar bills. He asked "will this help? I don't care if I win." Wow.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Lazy Jacks step up, again

The Lazy Jacks stopped by Fort DeRussy for a tour on Sunday and gave another $275 toward preservation of the Fort. Thanks so much you guys. Steve Mayeux is coming out with a book on the Fort and it's history soon so if anyone is interested, let me know.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

Comment

Re: Preservation funds

Rob Gobtrop not only donated $209 he collected but he got his company, Johnson Controls, to give a matching donation and that check came through yesterday to Friends of Ft DeRussy. Rob also shelled out for raffle tickets. Thanks again comrade!!
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

Comment

Re: Preservation funds - Grand Total

At least so far. I am happy to announce that Fred Baker says "all bills are paid" from Banks Grand Retreat and that means an additional $1037.97 from registration monies (about $5.46 per registrant for 190 registrations) is going to Fort DeRussy. This is almost exactly what Fred predicted for the budget.

That puts the grand total so far at $4396.97, not including a donation coming though from Lt. Chad Teasley, forum member currently on duty in Iraq, who was scheduled to come to the event when duty called.

That $4396.97 includes money raised from Raffle ticket sales (thanks vendors), T-shirt sales (thanks Dan Hadley and Jay Stevens), Manual sales (thanks Silas Tackitt) and from individual and corporate donors, including the three folks who purchased the CDV of Lt Jerome Bishop for the Fort.

To come all that way, spend all that time off work and then work so hard and well together was awe inspiring enough. But then to dig deep in our wallets to help out a small but significant piece of the Red River Campaign fulfill their plan is what we campaigners are all about. The example was not lost on the local and state folks - if we can fly from England, France and Seattle, and drive from everywhere else, perhaps that portion of the budget earmarked for Fort DeRussy is money well spent (and it will not get zeroed out again).

Steve Mayeux, head of the Friends of Fort DeRussy, says the money will trigger both other donations and matching funds that should allow them to purchase the earthwork property adjacent to the Fort. The state budgeted funds are for reconstruction of current Fort property.

One thing he noted in his last e-mail - he did not know that there were reenactors like us, and he was extremely impressed at our impressions, our spirit and our generosity.

Well done.
        Last edited by DougCooper; 04-19-2007, 03:05 PM.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

Comment

Tough to do more than echo Doug's sentiments.

MANY thanks are due to all the men and women who made the trip and/or gave so willingly of their time, energy, and financial resources.

Doug Cooper also deserves a hearty round of applause for his tireless work at this event in spearheading our fundraising efforts. Doug is nationally known and recognized for his efforts and BGR would not have been the same had he been absent.

So- thank you Doug!

Kind regards,
          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

The beat goes on - Dan Hadley is sending $140 more from T shirt sales and Steve Mayeux at Friends of Fort DeRussy sent this today:

Got a letter today, from Jimmy Aymond of Alexandria. It had 5 checks in it ($60, $52, $52, $26 and $26), from an SCV camp and four personal accounts. All the checks were made out to Friends of Fort DeRussy, with a note saying "Steve, These my contribution for B.G.R. - I had a great time. Cpl. Jimmy Aymond" So you can add another $216 to your grand total.[/I]

That makes the new total of money raised to $4752.97. Thanks again comrades.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

Comment

Working...
            X