Funny Anecdotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Funny Anecdotes

I have a couple of somewhat funny anecdotes I experienced in the piney woods of Louisiana.

I was assigned to picket-duty at Post 12, the third night I believe, on the road near the river between the two camps (three actually as the teamsters were down by the river as well). It was quite the busy post what with prisoner exchanges, soldiers both Blue and Gray going for water, officers from both sides meeting for various reasons (a dour Sgt-Maj was chastising the Federals about disparaging and demeaing remarks made of Southern womenhood in some letter or such) and then the infamous Pvt. Chase Pinkham showing up to desert, fully-armed (luckily I knew him "before the war" and was not caught too off-guard).

So after all this folderol, the sun went down and the night became quite dark as there was no moon, and I was somewhat edgy due to all the previous commotions. The air was quite still and I could hear movement in my front, towards the river, from the Federal side. I could hear foot-steps in the fallen leaves and they were getting closer. I called out "HALT, WHO GOES THERE?" for the twentieth time that night, but there was no reply. The sounds of movement grew closer and I dropped my musket slightly lower and called out again in a loud voice "HALT, WHO GOES THERE?", again no reply but suddenly from the bushes darts that nosiy dog the teamsters ha:) . To check my vigilance, I guess, but I was relieved I hadn't called for the Corporal-of-the-Guard yet - I wouldn't ever had heard the end of it!

The other story happened on the third day was well, I think (it was all kind of a blur sometimes). I had already captured three Union boys, mainly wounded and the slow. But on this occasion I happened on a Yank who was so wound with vines that he could not move at all:D. I could understand his plight since when being a flanker and on a few charges I had been there myself, and had there been any counter-charges at those times I probably would have been captured too! He was fairly astute, this Federal was, and told me he was going to discharge his weapon for safety reasons, which he did. After a few minutes we unrolled him and off to the rear he went. Seemed like a nice bloke, I wondered why we had been shootin' at each other just a few moments before.
    Rex Porter
    Iron Rooster Mess
    Utah Territories

Comment

Re: Funny Anecdotes

I had many funny moments in that "howlin wilderness" that after three weeks of reflection, just make them that much more endearing.
      Any time that my messmates (Jon O'Hara, Tim Renna and Tyler McManus) and I got together was a good time! The shebangs that we made those first two nights and all of us in there jabbering away like magpies to the point that First Sgt Cooper had to tell us to shut up cause we were keeping everyone up. Giving the Sgt Major a hard time cause of the length of his canteen stopper. The marching and the stupid jokes you would tell or be told by your file mates. The first night when Rex and I were on water detail and we got turned around and confused looking for the water. That night in the "burned camp" when it was so godawfull cold that we fell asleep around the fire till the fire got low. Then Brooke, Nate and I stayed up till dawn telling stupid stories that were hilarious to us in our sleep-deprived delerium, especially Brookes torpedo story! My God... he could have taken care of Porters fleet all by his lonesome if left to his own devices! These were the things that made me laugh.
      The things that may not have been so funny but will stick with me till my dying day are many. The trying to light a fire that first night with nothing but wet wood. The colonel singing and telling stories that second night in camp. Guarding the Yankee prisoners and bantering with them in 3rd person. (I would have shot that escapee if my cap hadn't fallen off when I raised my rifle!) Brookes special "linament" potion. The battles and skirmishes...(the "crossroads", the "burned wood", the "stream crossing") Capturing the cannon. Getting tangled in those f.....g brambles and thorns. Pickett duty in the pitch black and cold. Cutting the heal off of Ron's ruined brogan. Being scirmishers on that beautiful Louisiana morning and expecting an ambush at any moment. Guard duty on St. Patricks Day night with Cpl. O'Hara and Capt. Treadway. (Probably my best St.Paddy's Day ever!) The taste of hot hominy and peaches and cream after three days of hardtack and saltpork. And all of us marching back that last day, Yanks and Rebs together. That combined with the nutty 37 hour drive in a RV (God wills it that the Border Patrol loves us!), will stay with me forever.
      So... to all the civilians that fed both our bodies and our minds with good food and great 3rd person (Thanks reverand for the water that fires the inner soul), thank you. To our noble foes in blue who gave it their all to fight for their beliefs, thank you. To the boys of the Lazy (Crazy) Jacks who came from across the ocean to play with us, thank you. To the gentlemen from the Tater Mess who showed us how to do it, thank you. To the boys from the Texas Ground Hornets who have set the bar so high that I seriously doubt that anything I do from here on in will ever compare to BGR, thank you. And especially to my pards in Company B, the Western volunteers, thank you guys for the time of my life. We really were a "band of brothers".

Sincerely and with best regards,
      Patrick O'Melia
      Poison Oak Mess
      1st Texas

Comment

Working...
      X