Now would be a good time to get a CD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now would be a good time to get a CD

Just to put the word out- anyone planning on attending the LH and planning on falling in under Duffer, Corbin or Myself should look into getting a Columbus Depot now to have amble time to fill the order, as well as get some wear on the item. Reports of Bragg's Army being filthy as compared to the ANV are pretty clear, so plan ahead. Don't forget, there is ONE living history, but TWO sets of guidelines- one for the WIG (Duffer Corbin and Myself) and one for the Stonewall Brigade (Stiles)

AOT Uniform Guidelines

7th Texas Infantry

All items are to be made using period correct patterns and materials. No modern glasses, shoes, cigarettes or other items will be allowed.

Jackets
    1. Columbus Depot Jackets
    2.. Civilian Coat
    3. Commutation shell jacket

Trousers
    1. CS Issue trousers
    2. Civilian Pattern trousers

Trousers are to be of proper material. No checks, plaids or stripes. NO federal sky blue trousers. One thing to note- at this time documentation has been found that blue (sky blue or dark blue) dyed cotton jean trouser were being issued to AOT troops.

Shirt
    1. CS issue shirt
    2.Civilian pattern shirt

Shoes:
    1. Confederate issue
    2. Canvas shoes
    3. Civilian shoes or boots
    4. Federal issue brogans, limited use.

Headgear:
    1. Civilian Slouch Hat
    2. Confederate Issue Hat
    3. Kepi

Haversacks:
    1. C. S. pattern. Button or buckle closure.
    2. U.S. Pattern. VERY LIMITED.
    CS haversacks are generally extremely cheap to either make or purchase, please make an effort to obtain a good CS bag.

Canteens:
    1. Wooden type. Made of cedar/cypress/cherrywood, etc. Various styles.
    2. Tin Drum. Various sizes and styles, try to find a common identified type.
    3. U.S. issue smoothside with or without jean/wool cover.

Knapsacks (optional):
    1. Mexican War Style.
    2. Imported English. Issac Campbell and Co. maker.
    3. Confederate issue/manufacture of any of above styles.
    4. U. S. Issue double bag

Cartridge boxes:
    1. Any A.O.T. identified box
    2. Tarred canvas box, with or without sling
    3. U.S. issue M 1857/61 box
    4. Imported English box

Cap pouches:
    1. Any A.O.T. identified pouch.
    2. Tarred canvas A.O.T. pouch.
    3. English Enfield pouch, white buff

Waist belt:
    1. Frame type, rectangular CSA, clipped corner CS, forked tongue, roller buckle and Georgia Frame are all common.
    2. Tarred canvas with above plates

Weapons:
    1. 1853 Enfield
    2. 1842 Springfield
    All weapons should have proper modifications, and be in clean working condition. All weapons will be inspected by the NPS.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Now would be a good time to get a CD

Though it pains me to say it, Mr. Landrum is right. If you need to get a Columbus Depot Jacket now is a good time to order one so you have plenty of time for it to get to you before the event.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Some prime advice for the Do It Yourself types:

If you intend to make your own Columbus Depot and thought about using Galla Rock's pattern, THROW IT IN THE TRASH. You will need to mess with the sleeves and several other pieces. I suggest buying the pattern from Charlie Childs and saving yourself the headache. Each pattern will need some adjustments but this "pattern" has nothing in common with the original as it states.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

I'll step in and echo these two misfits.

County Cloth offers two different kits for the Columbus Depot or Georgia jacket. Drop $100, get the kit in a timely manner, and if you cannot sew, there's a handful of names that would help you out.

If anyone needs word on someone to assemble a kit for you, myself or Mr. Landrum would be happy to point you in the right direction.
        Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

Just a question here - I'm not trying to be argumentative.

Given the primary source descriptions of Bragg's army at this time provided in other threads in this forum for this living history, shouldn't emphasis be placed on striking a balance between the civilian sack coat or other jacket type as opposed to pushing the more uniform-looking Columbus Depot?

Thanks for your time,

Jonathan Vaughan
          Last edited by J_V; 06-11-2007, 07:48 PM.
          Jonathan Vaughan
          14th Tennessee
          3rd Missouri

Comment

I would be interested in reading where you came to the conclusion. Some of the references you can access online that lead to the choice for the Columbus Depot jacket are Geoff Walden's article on the Columbus Depot, and I believe on the AC you can dig up some of Lee White's posts concerning the subject. One of the most over represented items to me are civilian sack coats. Rather than have many items to more correctly portray an army's appearance, people depend on one single garment and more often times it is made of jean wool rather than something of a civilian choice.
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by J_V View Post
              Just a question here - I'm not trying to be argumentative.

Given the primary source descriptions of Bragg's army at this time provided in other threads in this forum for this living history, shouldn't emphasis be placed on striking a balance between the civilian sack coat or other jacket type as opposed to pushing the more uniform-looking Columbus Depot?

Thanks for your time,

Jonathan Vaughan
              You also have to remember that the 7th Texas wasn't part of the Army of Tennessee that long prior to Chickamauga. The 7th participated in the Vicksburg Campaign (Battle of Raymond, Johnston's Army of Relief) and after Vicksburg fell the Texans stayed in Mississippi, sitting on their butts most of the time until September before being sent East to join Bragg's army. I imagine that the 7th Texas would look a bit different from Bragg's army because the 7th was relatively stationary while the Army of Tennesee was on the move for most of the later half of the summer of 63.
              Bill Backus

Comment

Pat,

Looking for a company to fall in with during the LH. Needing recruits?

Wade Sokolosky
                [FONT="Times New Roman"][I]Wade Sokolosky[/I][/FONT]
                [url]www.civilwarnorthcarolina.com[/url]
                Hedgesville Blues
                SHOCKER MESS

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                  I would be interested in reading where you came to the conclusion. Some of the references you can access online that lead to the choice for the Columbus Depot jacket are Geoff Walden's article on the Columbus Depot, and I believe on the AC you can dig up some of Lee White's posts concerning the subject. One of the most over represented items to me are civilian sack coats. Rather than have many items to more correctly portray an army's appearance, people depend on one single garment and more often times it is made of jean wool rather than something of a civilian choice.
                  I wasn't disparaging the use of the CD; I see that it is an accurate choice historically and a wise one from a logistics perspective. The references I cited were just the ones found in the "Some things to consider..." thread, in which both styles of garments could be said to be appropriate. Given the reference to the overall appearance of Bragg's army I had thought that a good number of civilian sacks would be appropriate. I was not aware that they are typically over-represented.

Best,

Jonathan Vaughan
                  Jonathan Vaughan
                  14th Tennessee
                  3rd Missouri

Comment

Originally posted by bAcK88 View Post
                    You also have to remember that the 7th Texas wasn't part of the Army of Tennessee that long prior to Chickamauga. The 7th participated in the Vicksburg Campaign (Battle of Raymond, Johnston's Army of Relief) and after Vicksburg fell the Texans stayed in Mississippi, sitting on their butts most of the time until September before being sent East to join Bragg's army. I imagine that the 7th Texas would look a bit different from Bragg's army because the 7th was relatively stationary while the Army of Tennesee was on the move for most of the later half of the summer of 63.
                    Good enough. Thanks for your response.

Jonathan Vaughan
                    Jonathan Vaughan
                    14th Tennessee
                    3rd Missouri

Comment

If anyone does an AoT impression even once a year, owning a CD jacket is the best choice from both a PEC standpoint as well as monetarily, barring any other more specific information. Should we suddenly discover a Houston Depot jacket owned by a soldier of the 7th Texas (there may actually be two in a private collection according to Fred Adolphus), that may change things, but for now, a good CD jacket makes sense for this and most other AoT impressions Nov 62-65.

My own opinion is that the contrast was so striking between the AoT and ANV because of the condition and color of uniforms and the amount of equipment carried by the ANV soldiers. It was not that Bragg's troops were not uniformed. A worn out CD jacket of faded jean is quite a contrast from a BG kersey RD 2 issued a few weeks before. Ditto that English knapsack and cap vs a ratty blanket roll and slouch hat.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Didnt' Lee White, at one point or another post some information about issue to AOT. That should at least take the AOT out of the shiftless hobo area, and more into a campaigner appearance army. I doubt in Rags, but certainly far from new issue.
                        Patrick Landrum
                        Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat- I agree with you, the 7th having received most likely issues of CD jackets that were filled by the Columbus depot prior to the fall of Jackson. It is my oppion that they were cassimere, like the Jenkins jacket, but that is not available to the mass of reenactors. Lee and I have talked at some length regarding Jenkins being at Chick. and his may be the only one (jacket) documented to the battle. Capt Norvell commanding Co A (1st Lt at the battle) needed clothing after the battle, drawing 2 jackets, 7 pr pants, 12 pr drawers, 7 shirts, and 17 pr shoes on Sept 30th. His company, Co A, "Waco Guards" had about 25 enlisted men at that time so you can deduce what they looked like on the 19th of September. Anyone going barfoot for this one?

Joe Walker
                          Waco Guards

Comment

Joe, thanks for the information! And no I will not be going bearfoot. I was thinking about the distinct differences with the ANV and the AOT and while I agree that some of Bragg's men would have had some worn gear, especially after marching from Central Tennessee to North Georgia over hilly terrain, I think that other soldiers, especially the men coming from Mississippi and Alabama would have gear that was in better shape because of the access to the supply depots. I am currently reading up on this so I'll post what I can find.

Reading more and more about the gathering of Confederate forces in North Georgia in the late Summer of 1863; Buckner's men from Knoxville, Granbury's men from the Mississippi theatre, and Longstreet of course from Virginia makes for an interesting array of appearance.
                            Herb Coats
                            Armory Guards &
                            WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Walker View Post
                              Pat- I agree with you, the 7th having received most likely issues of CD jackets that were filled by the Columbus depot prior to the fall of Jackson. It is my oppion that they were cassimere, like the Jenkins jacket, but that is not available to the mass of reenactors. Lee and I have talked at some length regarding Jenkins being at Chick. and his may be the only one (jacket) documented to the battle. Capt Norvell commanding Co A (1st Lt at the battle) needed clothing after the battle, drawing 2 jackets, 7 pr pants, 12 pr drawers, 7 shirts, and 17 pr shoes on Sept 30th. His company, Co A, "Waco Guards" had about 25 enlisted men at that time so you can deduce what they looked like on the 19th of September. Anyone going barfoot for this one?

Joe Walker
                              Waco Guards
                              Joe brings up a good point on cassimere. Actually, Charlie Childs CFG (gray brown cassimere) is a perfect fabric for the Jenkins jacket. See http://www.crchilds.com/id44.htm. Research by Lee White, Fred Baker and others have identified the fabric coming out of Lee Mills in Columbus as a majority of cassimere. Ideally, one could grab some CFG from Charlie and ask Chris Daley, Dan Wambaugh, etc to make you a CD jacket, if you did not want to go with the standard fabrics they are using.
                              Last edited by DougCooper; 06-27-2007, 12:14 AM.
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                              X