Flat Haversack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Haversack?

Will this be a flat haversack event? I guess what I am asking is since we will be doing a living history for the public will we be demonstrationg

Joel Phillips
    The Flatlander's Mess
    Joel Phillips

Re: Flat Haversack?

The WIG will be issuing rations for the weekend and we will be doing several public demonstrations both on Saturday and Sunday. Hope this answers your question....Jerry Stiles

Comment

Period rations will be issued. There will be opportunities for the public to visit our camp sites, therefore... we can expect that there may be visitors in the area during meal preparation times.

As always with WIG events, we expect all participants to maintain period activities even when visitors are not in the area. We endeavor to maintain a military organization throughout the entire event (in otehrwords... after the last demonstration, we don't just break up and allow everyone to scatter in to town or where ever... we march off, establish a bivouac site, and continue to demonstrate period military activities throughout the night).
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I believe what Joe is asking is if all participants are expected to show up with nothing but mess equipment in their haversack and only survive off of the rations issued to them.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
          I believe what Joe is asking is if all participants are expected to show up with nothing but mess equipment in their haversack and only survive off of the rations issued to them.
          You may be right, but with his post only half there.... thus leaving some words of what may have been his question left un-written, I though it prudent to provide information that I have posted.
          Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

A flat haversack event refers to ones where haversacks are inspected for extra food items which is why I gave the answer I did. I've got nothing official from Art, but for what it is worth I've never gone hungry at a WIG event. I normally pack something small like coffee but other than that they will generally take care of you.
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Yes, this is a flat haversack event. We will quickly check haversacks at registration. We will, before marching off, issue rations to the men for the weekend. Some will eat them up fast, some will pace themselves, just as the real men did. No one will go hungry though. No one ever has at one of our events. Actually would not hurt to go leaner for a change, which is the plan.

Art Milbert
              [FONT=Georgia]Art Milbert[/FONT][SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Comment

Art,

Not to quibble, but it appears Joel got so darned hungry that he ate half of a sentence in his first post. Probably tasted like just like chicken....
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Yes, the question I posed somehow got cut off. However, as expected y’all were able to more than adequately answer it. Much appreciated. I am looking forward to it. See you there.

Joel Phillips
                  The Flatlander’s Mess
                  Joel Phillips

Comment

Working...
                  X