Co A 7th Texas Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co A 7th Texas Update

The Chickamauga event will be upon us very soon. I want to apologize for not communicating more frequently. I normally do a much better job. Now onto the important stuff.

I have posted the roster for the original Waco Guards on the event website in the History page. Our company has some interesting facts. It was appearently commanded by the 1st Lt during the Battle. Also it did not have a 1st Sgt and only three corporals.

I have selected our company Sgts. Steve Ewing from the GHTI will be our acting orderly Sgt since the original Co. A did not have a 1st Sgt. Steve has served in many roles from private to captain. I know he will serve you all well. Our other Sgts are Hunter Poythress, Joe Walker and Kiev Thomason. All three of these men are extremely exprienced and have my full confidence. Herb Coats and Ricky Jones will be serving as two of our corporals. I am still looking for one more. If you would like to volunteer please let me know. I am not planning to have any Lts as of right now since our registered numbers match the total number of enlisted the real Co. A had for the battle. Depending on final registration numbers, that might change.

The weather in Georgia in September is unpredictiable to say the least. It can be wet, dry, hot, cold, or any combination there of. So I recommend you do bring a good blanket. If it is hot you can always use it under you for more padding. This will be a mobile event. Make sure you are ready for that. I know this has been said 100 times before every event but it is worth mentioning again. Get hydranted before the event. Start drinking plenty of water the week leading up to the event if not before. Waiting till Friday on the way to the event is not going to cut it. Just ask those that went to Vicksburg this year.

Everyone needs to show up with at least 40 rounds and a clean weapon. There will be a weapons inspection on Friday night and Saturday morning. Remember the prefer weapons for our unit Co. A 7th Texas are either a 1853 Enfield or 1842 Springfield. If you do not have one of these others will be allowed such as 1861 Springfield, 1855 Springfield, or Lorenz. Reproductions only please. I am not sure if the park will allow orginals to be fired.

Lastly lets have a good time. There is not point in doing this if we don't have fun but lets do it safely. The best way to do that is to know your drill. We will be using Hardees Revise Light Infantry Tactics. Make sure to pay close attention to the Skirmish Drill.

That is about it for now. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I look forward to serving with each of you. Don't forget about Outpost III either.

Respectfully
    Tripp Corbin
    Co. A 7th Texas
    Commanding
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Waco Guards (Co A 7th Tx) Final Update

Gentlemen,
    Well the time is almost upon us. Chickamauga is now only days away. I am really looking forward to serving with all of you this weekend. Looks like we will have a good sized company that should equal or just exceed the size of the original Waco Guards (Co. A 7th Texas). To honor these great men, many of you have selected first person names to portray this coming weekend which I think is great. If anyone else would like to do so as well, there is a roster of the original Waco Guards on the event website in the History of the 7th Texas. Just let me know the name you chose. Also to honor these men, I will be referring to our Company as the Waco Guards through out the weekend.

There has been a few changes to our command structure since my last message. I have made adjustments to reflect our growing size and to better match the original Waco Guard structure at Chickamauga. First, Hunter Poythress will be our second Lt. I have asked Dave Hunter with the North State Rifles to serve as a Sgt and Mark Berrier to be a corporal.

I have been getting many questions about the event schedule. Friday we will be marching out at 11pm to head to our camp site. Art Milbert has asked that all companies be formed by 9pm. When you arrive on site Friday, I or one of the other officers or NCOs will designate a rallying area for our company. I want everyone in the rallying area by no later than 8 pm if at all possible. I want to have the company formed and arms stacked by 9. From that point on we will be operating as a military unit. Some point after that our weekend rations will be issued. I do not know what these will be but I do know they are for the entire event so make them last. Each man will also need 60 rounds. We will conduct a weapons inspections as best we can at the 9 pm formation. The last demonstration starts around noon on Sunday.

The weather looks good for the weekend. Lows should be in the 60s with highs in the mid to upper 80s. Make sure you are hydrating.

Well that is about it. I hope everyone has a safe journey. See you all on Friday.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Re: Co A 7th Texas Update

Boys of Company A the Waco Guards

If you selected a first person and sent it to Tripp, you will appear in my role book under that name not your real one. So please don't forget that name.

If anyone else wishes to select a name please email me by tomorrow afternoon. I'll be finalizing the roll book then.

As Tripp has said before, arrive with a clean fully functional musket.

All sgts should have a pencil and book/paper to keep track of their squad and if you have a sgt's tool please bring it.

Thanks pards and I'll see you in the rank and file
      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
      [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
      X