Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co. H 7th SC History and Links

Folks,

As a little background, our unit assignment/impression is Co. H (Ninety-Six Riflemen), 7th SCVI. Co. H is considered the 'mother company' of the regiment as they provided the majority of regimental level officers including Col. Bacon, Col. Aiken and LTC Elbert Bland who was killed at Chickamauga.

The company was formed in the Ninety-Six area of SC in then upper Edgefield District. The community of Ninety Six was so named prior to the American Revolution as it was thought it was 96 miles from the Cherokee village of Keowee in the Blue Ridge foothills. Ninety Six was the location for numerous actions during the Revolution in the pivotal Backcountry of SC with the small hamlet actually being burned by Loyalists.

During Chickamauga though, the company was commanded by Captain Henry W. Addison with JC Lovelace as 1st Lt. September 20th proved to be a deadly day for the 7th with LTC Bland killed in action along with Major John Hard. Likewise, Addison lost a leg only to die of wounds later in 1864 with Lovelace being killed outright.

I highly suggest folks take a look at the below link and view the company roster, etc. I had a good laugh at "John Rambo".

Anyway, here's a link for a little historical background on the area from the NPS:

I will endevor in the coming days to add information so folks can get a feel for the company and have a solid working knowledge of the regiment. Don't just show up, be up to speed...

Regards,

Neill Rose
    PLHA

Re: Co. H 7th SC History and Links

Folks,

I also noticed that Scott Hayes of Richmond Depot will have four kersey Type II jackets ready by September 17th. If you're in need for the event, better jump on it!

Neill Rose
    PLHA

Comment

Working...
    X