Chickamauga AAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chickamauga AAR Thread

Also the skirmish line going up the to the South Carolina monument (what hill is that, because I thought that was Snodgrass Hill but I've been told wrong by others)
    That was Horseshoe Ridge.
    Derek Carpenter
    Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

It's taken me a little while to collect my thoughts on this event, but here goes. First, before I talk about the highlights of the event from my perspective, I'd like to thank the two guys who I worked with most closely. Art Milbert and the WIG staff did an excellent job, start to finish. Even though the web site stated that the event was co sponsored by the WIG and SWB, Art did the lions share of talking to the park and coming up with the demo sequences and agenda. Excellent work Art.

The other fellow is Neill Rose. Neill and I started talking about doing a Kershaw's Brigade element at Chick quite a while ago and it was great to see it come to pass. Neill did a ton of research on Kershaw's guys and he, along with Craig Schneider made a lot of the gear/uniform parts worn this past weekend. It's always a pleasere to work with Neill.

Many thanks also to Doug Cooper for stepping up and being our Lt this past weekend as well as our hard working group of NCOs. Craig, Eric, James, Jeff, Mark, Scotty, Dan and Phil- Thanks guys.

Thanks as well to all the guys who came together from all over to form Co. H 7th SVI for the event. You guys showed up prepared for what lay ahead and were ready to rock. I thought our impressions both collectivey and individually were really great. From my perspective, the drill was top notch as well. When you can do a wheel on the move with a 40 man company right off the bat with no prior explanation and it's done just as the manual states, that's really something. You are to be commended.

Lastly thanks to Joe Long and his folks for writing all those letters. They really added to our experience at the event and were very much appreciated.

Ok, enough with the mushy stuff, here are my highlights:

All the cool impressions and marked contrast between the ANV guys and AOT.

The MASSIVE skirmish line on Saturday afternoon.

Seeing the horse drawn arty come rumbling by at a trot.

Our camp location Saturday evening.

Neill's rice pudding.

Runnin' scared from Joe Blunt.

Sleeping on arms Friday night.

Seeing Co. H 7thSCVI first formed Friday evening.

Hearing about the Pink Panther of Chick story (yowser).

The van rise down and back with my group of village idiots.

Jerry Stiles
      Last edited by JStiles; 09-25-2007, 12:16 PM. Reason: Joe Blunt told me to.

Comment

My sincere thanks to everyone who made this weekend such an outstanding example of what can be done in the world of living history. Special thanks to: Officers Jerry Stiles and Doug Cooper, 7th SC NCO s and to Neill Rose (who's timely and well spoken prayer at the SC monument was a highlight for me personally... um along with his now famous, lowcountry rice pudding). Hard to go back to work after this one. No - literaly, I was too exhausted to go back to work on Monday.
        Peter Julius
        North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

By the way, does anyone have the recipe for that cornbread
          In a large bowl, put some cornmeal. Add a dollop of lard. Bake?
          Yours, &c
          Adam Clark
          -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
          Connor Clune

Comment

I had mixed feelings about the assault since there are so many Ohio monuments are up there.
            Eric,

You weren't the only one. While visiting the monuments on Snodgrass Hill I said a little apology to the Federal Old Ones for walking around their positions in Confederate uniform, especially since I'm a Yankee myself.

I need to do this in Federal blue some time. Hopefully soon.
            Robert Carter
            69th NYSV, Co. A
            justrobnj@gmail.com
            www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Originally posted by JustRob View Post
              Eric,

You weren't the only one. While visiting the monuments on Snodgrass Hill I said a little apology to the Federal Old Ones for walking around their positions in Confederate uniform, especially since I'm a Yankee myself.

I need to do this in Federal blue some time. Hopefully soon.
              Uh... Rob, wern't you the one belting out choruses of the "Bonnie Blue Flag" and "Dixie"?
              Peter Julius
              North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

Good site + good Living historians + good weather + good leadership = Great Event.

I had a lot a fun at this one.
                • The ANV company really was great impression-wise. My hat's off to everyone that brought their A-game impressions to this one. This company looked good. (And so did the AOT companies).

• It was fun to be in a Battalion sized formation and do Battalion drill

• My thanks to the good folks at the SC Relic Room for the letters they sent along. They provided a good chuggle on a hot day.

• I never knew Rice Pudding could have such healing powers!

• My compliments to the WIG staff for the handling of logistics. There was always water available despite our constantly moving from site to site.

• It's always good to be in a Jerry Stiles/Doug Cooper led company.
                Brian Gilk

Comment

Peter,

That was me. No reason not to honor the Confederate Old Ones. For the record, I only sang Dixie. I don't know the words to Bonnie Blue Flag well enough.

I pay respects to and beg pardons from the Old Ones when crossing their ground in their opponent's uniform. I did the same when standing in the Sunken Road in Irish Brigade kit.

This was an amazing weekend for me. Seeing the battalion sacked out on Monday morning before the assault up Horseshoe Ridge was a moment. The difference in uniforms was impressive.

I'm still not sure what people are saying about the cornbread. The batch I had was a disgusting salty mess that made me sick. I didn't know it was possible to screw up cornbread that badly.

Thank Heaven for the fellow that shared a potato and onion with me on Saturday night to make the meat ration palatable. It was true Christian charity.

Riding to this event in the Shocker Mess "Chicamauga or Bust" van was worth the trip. You should have seen the grafitti we erased before we got there. Meeting the Danimal was also an event.
                  Robert Carter
                  69th NYSV, Co. A
                  justrobnj@gmail.com
                  www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

While visiting the monuments on Snodgrass Hill I said a little apology to the Federal Old Ones for walking around their positions in Confederate uniform, especially since I'm a Yankee myself.
                    It was my honor to be camped just down the hill from the monument to the 58th NC, my g-g-grandfather's regiment. He had deserted earlier in the year but returned to duty in August of 1863. Me and some of the Tarheels took a little stroll up there Saturday evening. It was quite a moving moment to be sure.
                    Derek Carpenter
                    Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

That cornbread is hit or miss. Taken from an original recipe, made on the measurements of an original piece of CS cornbread, Kiev was a cornbread making machine for this event and the effort was appreciated. Believe me, it can't be as bad as the batch I made with sour lard!

Anyone have any more pictures from this weekend?
                      Last edited by coastaltrash; 09-25-2007, 05:07 PM.
                      Patrick Landrum
                      Independent Rifles

Comment

"I'm still not sure what people are saying about the cornbread. The batch I had was a disgusting salty mess that made me sick. I didn't know it was possible to screw up cornbread that badly."

Rob.... That was the real recipe. Nummy Num Num!!!!! No Crisco in it, but some nice LARD and a few pinches of salt.

Cleans the system out very well.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Would love to see some pics of the ANV contingent, if anyone has some to share.
                          Bob Williams
                          26th North Carolina Troops
                          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
                            That was the real recipe. Nummy Num Num!!!!! No Crisco in it, but some nice LARD and a few pinches of salt.
                            I think the consensus among me and my pards was that it did taste rather awful. That said, lacking much else to chew on, come Sunday morning it was much appreciated.

I had a very good time this past weekend and thank the folks involved in putting the program together. Y'all were very good hosts to those of us that made the trip from back east.

Eric
                            Last edited by Dignann; 09-25-2007, 05:26 PM. Reason: typos
                            Eric J. Mink
                            Co. A, 4th Va Inf
                            Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

I loved the cornboard...er...cornbread! For once the stuff stayed together and could be consumed at leisure, and twern't bad at all. This whole event was a culinary adventure - in variety if not in volume.

I kind of hinted at this on an earlier post but if there is one thing we need to do more of, its battalion drill with at least 3 companies... 4 or 5 being better. Because the entire event is all about the manuevers being performed as per the original unit, and there is LOTS of room and nothing else to do, we get an entire weekend of drill but with that historical context on the original ground. Can't beat good training and good history.

I would love to see us do the 2nd Minnesota or one of the OVI regiments.
                              Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

For the record, the peanuts were quite good.

Being a Yankee, I've never seen raw peanuts before. They roasted up quite nicely.
                                Robert Carter
                                69th NYSV, Co. A
                                justrobnj@gmail.com
                                www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Working...
                                X