Event Info Updated - Jan. 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Info Updated - Jan. 15

Early registration for the ENCAMPMENT AT PITTSBURG LANDING event ends on February 14th, so I encourage you not to wait. Registration then goes up to $35.
    All early registrants will be put into a drawing for a wetplate sitting from Wendall Decker and Tim Parsons as well as other prizes.

The event website has been updated at:
    www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar/Shiloh2007LH

Please note that a "Living History Guidelines" page has been added. This
    important for all participants to read.

The 'Event Guidelines' info has also been updated.
    (Sign in, Staff update, Camp update).
    The '8th Illinois Research' page has also been completed.

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    SCAR www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar
    SRR www.geocities.com/saltriverrifles

March Immortal 600
    April Encampment at Pittsburg Landing - Shiloh
    May Battle of Resaca
    June Life on the Line - Vicksburg
    Sept Battle of Mill Springs, KY
    Oct Outpost III/TAG II
    Jim Butler

Re: Event Info Updated - Jan. 15

Very excited about the event. Jim, you sure are offering a lot for the participants.

Sent my registration in this week. I know there is a lot of buzz in the ONV about the event and we look forward to sharing the field with everyone.

My plan is to be on site early Friday morning and do some biking/battlefield touring if anyone wants to join me. Backpack full of accounts with the focus being Chalmer's brigade for starters.

Steve Acker

Comment

Steve,

A bunch of us are going to stay the night in Corinth on Sunday April 15. The plan is to tour the new Corinth Visitor Center and spend some more time at Shiloh on Sunday.

If you are interested let me know.

Harrison Holloway
      Hairy Nation Boys
      ONV
      Nathan Hellwig
      AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Thanks but have to be back at school on Monday.

Steve Acker

Comment

Jimbo,

Two years ago, when Bro. Yoder and I enjoyed this event, we were both impressed by the number of visitors who came out to Shiloh for the program. Oh, sure, it may have been the beautiful weather, but the volume of visitation was much higher than some of the battlefields closer to major metropolitan areas.

Did I mention how much I like Sibleys? :)
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
            Jimbo,

Two years ago, when Bro. Yoder and I enjoyed this event, we were both impressed by the number of visitors who came out to Shiloh for the program. Oh, sure, it may have been the beautiful weather, but the volume of visitation was much higher than some of the battlefields closer to major metropolitan areas.

Did I mention how much I like Sibleys? :)
            Yeah, I am telling interpretors that they must be able to be heard by a large crowd. But, this year we plan to split the crowds with two interpretors at a time. We will have multiple vignettes/drills going on at the same time in different areas of our encampment.
            Sibley's are a curse and a blessing. I think Billing's "Hardtack and Coffee" supports this? Last year, the Prophet Boys were in the Sibley with the Salt River Rifles. They arrived after dark in the rain after dodging tornados enroute to the event. On their route they ate a Mexican restraunt in Alabama. Although, we were warm and dry during the rainstorm, we then had to endure the Prophet Boys after some gastric, methane-gas emmitting episodes! They were soon referred to as the Caliente Mess.

Jim Butler
            Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 01-25-2007, 04:32 PM.
            Jim Butler

Comment

"Although, we were warm and dry during the rainstorm, we then had to endure the Prophet Boys after some gastric, methane-gas emmitting episodes! They were soon referred to as the Caliente Mess."

Jim, I don't remember Billings writing about that in "Hardtack and Coffee!" Kiev seems to take a perverse delight in his gasteric abilities and i quite proud of them. Look for more of us "Those Guys" types at Shiloh.

And also, I have to add that after attending two Shiloh Living Historys as a Confederate I'm ready to put on period "running shoes" as a Blue Belly. Well as long as those dastardly Cornfeds do not pilfer my pie, I'll be ok with skedadling.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

OCN,

Check out the bottom of page 47 and the top of page 48 for Billings' comments on "nauseating exhalations," and "air of the vilest sort."

The page numbers may differ from edition to edition, but the info is under Sibley in the index. While not specific to the refried bean drill made famous by the Caliente Mess, one can trust certain olifactory parallels exist.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
                  "Although, we were warm and dry during the rainstorm, we then had to endure the Prophet Boys after some gastric, methane-gas emmitting episodes! They were soon referred to as the Caliente Mess."

Jim, I don't remember Billings writing about that in "Hardtack and Coffee!" Kiev seems to take a perverse delight in his gasteric abilities and i quite proud of them. Look for more of us "Those Guys" types at Shiloh.
                  Billings did too take on this topic... from his chapter on "Life in Tents" from Hardtack and Coffee:

these tents were shelter for up to 12 men; but in fixed camp use, as many as 20 men were made to share one tent. In cold or rainy weather, when every opening is closed, they are most unwholesome tenements, and to enter one of them of a rainy morning from the outer air, and encounter the night’s accumulation of nauseating exhalations from the bodies of twelve men (differing widely in their habits of personal cleanliness) was an experience which no old soldier has ever been known to recall with any great enthusiasm. Of course the air was of the vilest sort, and it is surprising to see how men endured it as they did.
                  Tom Ezell

Comment

Well, I sit (at my desk) corrected. Thanks gents and Chawls.
                    Herb Coats
                    Armory Guards &
                    WIG

Comment

Thanks Tom, you have a much better memory than mine!

Jim Butler
                      Jim Butler

Comment

It helps to have the eBook burned to a handy CD... the secret weapon :-)
                        Tom Ezell

Comment

Working...
                        X