Time is Running Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time is Running Out

Registration for the Encampment at Pittsburg Landing living history closes on March 30th. All registrations must be postmarked by that day.

Why should you attend this living history:

- Help celebrate the 145th anniversary of the Battle of Shiloh by supporting the NPS on April 13-15th, 2007 at the Shiloh National Military Park.

- Living History will be conducted by use of 1st person vignettes/drills and
    3rd person interpreters. Thus visitors will feel like they have stepped into an actual camp of McClernand's division on an early April day in 1862.
    Clear living history guidelines are posted at: http://www.geocities.com/scar_civilw...uidelines.html

- How often do you get to live in a Sibley tent?! We will have 12 Sibleys as part of our Encampment.

- Take part in a properly conducted PayCall. Then use your pay at the period sutler (Ezra Barnhouse Goods) to purchase period items.

- Drill in correct sized companies (50-55 men is correct for the 8th Illinois at Shiloh).

- Four meals will be provided by the period Commissary.

- Have your wetplate image struck by Tim Parson & Wendall Decker.

- Regimental surgeon demonstration area.

- After a long day of acting, drilling and interpreting for the public, enjoy period entertainment Sat evening by The Caudells.

- Honor the men of McClernand's division. It seems the Hornet's Nest gets much of the attention at Shiloh, but McClernand's division was just as heavily engaged (some regiments suffering over 27% casualties).

Event and Registration information can be found at:

You won't want to miss this event!

Regards,
    Jim Butler
    SRR www.geocities.com/saltriverrifles
    SCAR www.geocities.com/scar_civilwar

"these tents were shelter for up to 12 men; but in fixed camp use, as many as 20 men were made to share one tent. In cold or rainy weather, when every opening is closed, they are most unwholesome tenements, and to enter one of them of a rainy morning from the outer air, and encounter the night’s accumulation of nauseating exhalations from the bodies of twelve men (differing widely in their habits of personal cleanliness) was an experience which no old soldier has ever been known to recall with any great enthusiasm. Of course the air was of the vilest sort, and it is surprising to see how men endured it as they did."
    from Billings, Hardtack and Coffee
    Jim Butler

Re: Time is Running Out

Hey Jim, if nobody else says it we really appreciated you moving the event a bit so some folks could attend both BGR and EPL. Sounds like a fantastic program and for a great cause.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR View Post
      - How often do you get to live in a Sibley tent?! We will have 12 Sibleys as part of our Encampment.
      A month later, some fellow will be mentioning on forum somewhere (between asking how to put on a knapsack, and assorted "who makes the best" questions) that no one hardly ever sees a Sibley tent....

Sigh.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

A month later, some fellow will be mentioning on forum somewhere (between asking how to put on a knapsack, and assorted "who makes the best" questions) that no one hardly ever sees a Sibley tent.... Sigh.
        ... And a roughly equal number of "pseudo-authentics" will be telling people that a person who is "authentic" would never sleep in a tent.

Double-sigh.
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

I rarely make event predictions, but even an ultra conservative bettor may make book by forecasting the olfactory atmosphere within that tentage to be worthy of comments, lengthy editorials, choking, wheezing, new nicknames, and certain lofty amounts of giggling before the weekend is through. Ah, yes, the "field music" within!

And the good ol' Army menu will not help the least bit, of this we can be sure.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Jim,

Unfortunitly I will not be able to go this year. But last year was a great event indeed.
            From the twisters to the driving rain! Tilley and I took the Natchez Trace from the St. Francisville, La. area all the way to Corinth,Ms. Great weekend indeed.

I only hope is that the fellow selling those overprice goods doesn't mess with payroll again on you fellas in attendence. Keep a sharp eye on that chap.:sarcastic
            Regards,
            [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
            With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
            Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
            We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
              I rarely make event predictions, but even an ultra conservative bettor may make book by forecasting the olfactory atmosphere within that tentage to be worthy of comments, lengthy editorials, choking, wheezing, new nicknames, and certain lofty amounts of giggling before the weekend is through. Ah, yes, the "field music" within!

And the good ol' Army menu will not help the least bit, of this we can be sure.
              Ask Kiev, Andrew and Hunter about the "Caliente Mess". Never sleep in a Sibley with guys who had ate lunch at an Alabamian Mexican restraunt! If weren't for the pouring rain outside...

Jim Butler
              Jim Butler

Comment

Working...
              X