Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Culinary Considerations For Shiloh

Fellers!

Once in a great while the kettle kickers come up with such legendary event menu busters as:

Farina Pucks
    Bull Run Peach & Tomato Stew
    Donelson Mule Feed
    Gray Coffee a la McDowell
    Solid Shot Biscuits
    Ray House Punkin' & 'Tater Mash
    Essence of the Green Bottle
    Hoosier Roast Goat a la Bentonville
    Shiloh Curry El Grande
    Frozen Pears & Coffee
    Comrade Schwarz' Biled Bacon
    Sumter Nutmeg with Just a Hint of Rice
    Horsecock & Cheese
    McCarthy's "Gravy"
    Watson's Ethiopian Tonic
    Yoder's Bottomless Haversack O'Ribs
    Pogue's Hot B*tch
    Waverly's Blue Beans & Purple-Gray Stucco
    Myzie's Condi-Kraut
    Gouge's Cartridge Box Strap Soup

...ostensibly to warm the hearts of participants and stoke the boilers of that legendary fellow otherwise known as "the inner man." The upcoming SCAR Shiloh NPS LH is no exception, however, let's turn the tables on the particpants.

Yes, that would be you. Through that occult activity which begins with an "R," we have learned a few things about the vittles the lads at Pittsburg Landing were enjoying, and those items they'd truly like to have shipped in from Uncle Sam's larder. Fact is, the boys in blue sampled some of Jeff Davis' team's victuals, which boosted morale in more ways than one. So, we have more food references than we can possibly prepare for one two-day event. What to do? Or, more appropriately, what to do to you?

Nothing kills a thread like the phrase "let's start a discussion," so without further ado and wasted bandwidth, we know the federals lounging about Pittsburg Landing were enjoying:

apples
    bacon
    baked chicken
    beans
    biscuits
    bread
    butter
    cakes
    canned cherries
    canned tomatoes
    cheese
    coffee
    desiccated potatoes
    flapjacks
    flour
    fruit
    ham
    hardtack
    oysters
    pickled oysters
    potatoes
    preserved meats
    sorghum
    switchel
    vegetables
    vinegar

Naturally, the enlisted folks were not enjoying all of these items, since some show up as officer fare, but if the lads had a chance to choose their vittles for this event, what items would you like to eat? How would you like them prepared? Burned? Raw? Medium rare? On the hoof? Fresh off the boat? Hominy in your hat?

Not that what you want will show up on the menu, and some are going to enjoy the Catfish Hotel's local and delicious offerings come Saturday evening, as highly recommended by the Hostile Third Party Mess. :p

WARNING: Certain combinations of foodstuffs and their after effects could prove deadly within the tightly sealed and highly populated confines of a Sibley tent.
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: Culinary Considerations For Shiloh

I got a chuckle out of this. For those of you who may have been there and remember the rain at the 1997 Shiloh national event, three of us in my mess had what we called swamp rat stew that night.

Layton Pennington
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Layton Pennington[/FONT]
    Member, Company of Military Historians
    Member, Society for Military History
    Life member, SCV
    Life member: Veterans of Foreign Wars,
    American Legion, Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Well, if we really get to put in a request I would go with baked chicken, biscuit and butter, beans, cheese and some fruit. However, I won't be surprised if I only get bacon and hardtack and the chance to dream about the other.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Charles,
        I'll vote for a second helping of that Bull Run "Irish" Stew. It's been nearly ten months since I've had such.
        Mark Warren
        Bloomfield, Iowa
        Hairy Nation Boys
        Proud Ancestor of Emanuel Castleman, Co. C, 33rd Iowa and
        John R. Castleman, 43rd Batt. VA Cavalry, "Mosby's Rangers"
        [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
        "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
        Mark Warren
        Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
          Hominy in your hat?

Charles! You told me I had until at least Vicksbug to get the worms going good in this 100pounds of hominey!:confused_
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Charles,

Let us not forget Coldfoots now legendary "food whose name cannot be spoken in polite company". Grey with a hint of blue is always good in the morning.
            Jeff Henion
            Columbia Rifles

Comment

Mmmm Oysters. . .nice and raw, juicey.
              Just a bit of hardtack and hotsauce and you've got a true meal. At least for this Louisianian ya' do!

Enjoy boys!
              Regards,
              [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
              With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
              Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
              We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by henionjd View Post
                Let us not forget Coldfoots now legendary "food whose name cannot be spoken in polite company". Grey with a hint of blue is always good in the morning.
                Sparky,

Ah, Winter 1864 2006 seems as if only yesterday, yet CRS Syndrome has already beset us.

That being said, I was having trouble figuring out a way to politely name his dual purpose masterpiece of the culinary and concrete patching arts otherwise well known (and loudly at that) as "Fu--ing F--k F--k". Truly, it would seem as if Coldfoot and Erasmus had the same English teacher back in grammar school. It's a crying shame we didn't parody "Hardtack Come Again No More" with the moniker of that dish.

Jeremy,

Mmmm, oysters. Had 'em for supper with a spot of Crystal on 'em. No Trappey's Bull or Tabasco available this far north into the frozen tundra of Yankeedom. The bivalves probably came from the Gulf Coast, too. Didn't have any hardtack, but that would be a good addition. Mmmmm. I wonder if Corinth MS or Savannah TN has any bulk seafood sellers? This late in the season the prices are usually pretty good. I don't want to sound too much like Bubba Gump, but pickled oysters, pickled okra, pickled peaches, pickled beets, pickled cucumbers, pickled eggs, pickled farina, pickled potatoes, pickled beef tongue....well, you get the picture.

Terre,

Get them hominy worms fatted for Vicksburg. Those CS boys may not eat the other issued protein if they are a bit squeamish. Come to think of it, Holly_Mule has learned to say "Landrum is the debbil!" in three different languages.
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Heath View Post
                  Terre,

Get them hominy worms fatted for Vicksburg. Those CS boys may not eat the other issued protein if they are a bit squeamish. Come to think of it, Holly_Mule has learned to say "Landrum is the debbil!" in three different languages.
                  Honey, a couple of Hardcore for Christmas ate rats and cowpeas the last time I served them. These boys will have no problems with the menu.

Come to think of it, I need to lay those leftover cowpeas out with the hominey....
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                    Honey, a couple of Hardcore for Christmas ate rats and cowpeas the last time I served them.
                    Rodents are not a problem. I've seen these lads eat some serious varietal rodentia, and I don't mean sanitized lab rats, either. Of course, mentioning the dreaded word vegetables" can, and will, send some of them hiding behind the Sibley tent looking on with horror as their comrades dine on leafy green stuff, carrots, 'taters, beans, etc. It's like a Civil War version of Fear Factor...."Today, some of these brave men will actually eat buttered parsnips, and live to tell about it. Stay tuned."

Already heard cries of "what, no pie?"

Okay, just one cry, but you know how those ONV fellers like their pie.

And the Vicksburg vittles will be yet another horrific subsistence thread. I'm enjoying the research thus far, and maybe little \../ in the pasture will get an executive pardon after all. Can you imagine good federal men tired of eating poultry, and demanding hardtack? My, Gawd, that flies in the face of conventional wisdom.
                    [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Heef, both of us know that Corbin loves fattened maggots. Keep them fed and ready for Vicksburg.

As for "What's on the Menu?" at Shiloh......well.....some pie would be nice.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Mr. Heath,

I would very much like to say that I trust you and your judgement for vittles for the event.

But I won't .

Might be because of the Mule Chow.

RM
                        Rod Miller
                        [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                        1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                        1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                        1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                        1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                        Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                        1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                        Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Rod,

I have the distinct feeling you are going to have one hate-filled Saturday morning, but you will be in good company. Now, this is just a little intuition based on what those boys were actually eating at that time of inadequate river transportation, poor subsistence planning, generally crappy logistics failures with reference to a large build-up of troops in the middle of nowhwere, and some other early war lessons learned considerations.

Finding a bulk quantity of low priced lard would help the pie situation immensely, and may relieve some of the gastronomic agony inflicted upon you by T.S.'s special Saturday evening alternative menu plan. I cannot say precisely what that is, but it has nothing to do with the piscatorial delights scant rods away. (Terrible pun, but it works.)

What a shame it is we can't drag Marse Woodburn down there with his fabulous Fort Granger tested bake ovens. NPS would probably flip out, but that's okay.
                          [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Charles,

The midwestern boys of the ONV will eat what is put in front of them.

But not Mule chow.

Rm
                            Rod Miller
                            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Rmhisteach View Post
                              But not Mule chow.
                              Boil up some stale mule feed for breakfast just one time, and they never forget.

Well, I suppose when compared to that specific meal on a certain frosty Tennessee morning, maybe Saturday morning's planned offerings at Pittsburg Landing won't be but so bad, but you'll be glad to get paid and visit the nice sutler man. I mean y'all really had some hurt puppy dog eyes when that piping hot kettle of goo was served at Fort Donelson, complete with simulated mouse droppings.
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X