Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Immortal 600 Fort Pulaski, GA March 2-4, 2007

Matt,
    If it is like the past two events, it will portray a cross section of the entire time the prisoners were held at the Fort. In the past John and Rick had specific vinyetts (sp) prepared in addition to what the prisoners and guards were doing.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
    [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Tripp,

OK. For mail call do you know if a box from home is OK, or should I direct that to Rick?
      Matt Woodburn
      Retired Big Bug
      WIG/GHTI
      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

There ain't enough Federals to guard all them there Reb officers. I reckon I'll put my blue suit on and come help you all out with that.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Tripp,

Reinholz, Bushmole, and Ackeret as CS prisoners? Are you all going to make them be silent all weekend for authenticity purposes?? LOL!! :wink_smil . Looks like it's shaping up to be a good turnout. Myself and Mr. Adair will be there stocking the fort with goods for the prisoners and soldiers alike. Definitely looking forward to being able to set up again in a fort and have a "shop" of sorts like I was able to at Fort Gaines.

Chris Utley
          Carter & Jasper
          Chris Utley
          South Union Mills
          [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
          [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

Matt, That is a question for Rick. I am not sure.

Michael, Yes we do need more guards for all those prisoners. I here one year they got out at night and were able to turn a cannon on the Colonels quarters.

Chris, I have heard you and Mr. Adair had partnered for this one. I know the Guards will appreciate your weres.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
              Ok, can anyone answer some of these questions.
              Tripp, John and Rick are the ones to give the official word, of course, but I just wanted to add that I had the exact same questions last time. It seemed to make no logical sense how you could hold a first-person event without a specific date. That was one reason I didn't pick Fitz last time, because I didn't understand how they could accept portrayals of men who died or were transferred early to Hilton Head.

But somehow, it works. Surprisingly, it works even better than some events that do name a specific date. It's like there are two levels going on at once, the immediate hour-to-hour experience of being a prisoner, and then the larger experience of skimming through the whole captivity. What applies to each, is connected to each. So for example, through the whole event last time, I was trying to get to see the prison doctor to get medicine for my pneumonia. That was part of the hour-by-hour experience--48 hours of being sick and needing a doctor. But when mail call came, for example, I hadn't got mail at Ft. Pulaski for weeks, even though I'd apparently been in this prison only 48 hours. That was part of the longer experience.

I've never had that kind of time compression seem realistic at an event before, but at this one, it did. So if it's like last time, about all I can say is, have the experience on Morris Island and the trip to Pulaski fresh in your mind when you arrive, and then go with the flow.

Hank Trent
              hanktrent@voyager.net
              Hank Trent

Comment

It's time to try and dig out my old copy of Immortal Captives and check on plane tickets to Savannah!... or maybe an extended Road Trip... now to try and block the time out next spring before someody finds something else for me to do...

The last I-600 was one of the most memorable events I've taken part in. It's well worth the effort it takes to get down to the coast.
                Tom Ezell

Comment

Thanks Hank. I have a better feel for the event. Just didn't know if I was doing too much reading and research on this one.
                  Matt Woodburn
                  Retired Big Bug
                  WIG/GHTI

Comment

Matt,

I also was thinking the same as I finished reading "Immortal Captives." How Hank, Tripp, and others have explained the scenerios in past years, brings things together a little bit better when preparing for the event. I do look forward to this one. BTW, Tripp I indicated on my registration that my portrayal will be of James Edward Cobb 1st. Lt. Company F, 5th Texas Infantry.

Steve LaBarre
                    Brown Blanket Mess
                    Hodge Podge Mess
                    WIG

Comment

Steve,
                      I will update that on the list with the next update. Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Tripp,
                        Just letting you know that I sent in my registration this morning. I can't wait. This is going to be a good one.
                        Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                        WIG/GVB
                        In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Anyone have a copy of The Biographical Roster of the Immortal 600 that would be willing to look up a couple things for me? I've got a copy of Immortal Captives and would be willing to look up a couple things in reply.
                          Matt Woodburn
                          Retired Big Bug
                          WIG/GHTI

Comment

Pards and comrades,

Can any of you that have the roster book for the immortal captives, give me any ifnformation about andrew Armstrong of the 46th ALA inf. I have ordered both books but one is no longer availible and the other is on back order.

Your Servant

Rod Miller
                            Rod Miller
                            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Rmhisteach View Post
                              Pards and comrades,

Can any of you that have the roster book for the immortal captives, give me any ifnformation about andrew Armstrong of the 46th ALA inf. I have ordered both books but one is no longer availible and the other is on back order.

Your Servant

Rod Miller
                              From the roster:
                              Andrew Jackson Armstrong, born July 13 1835
                              Height 6'2" with dark complection, dark hair and blue eyes.
                              Married Sicily Adeline George (1839-1916) in Feb 1856, had 13 children.
                              1860 census shows him at Green Mill PO, Henry Co Al with wife and one child working as overseer. Enlisted as 1LT on May 20 1862 in Co I, 46th Al inf.
                              Captured at Edwards Depot (Bakers Creek) MS May 16 1863. Sent to Johnson's Island from Indianapolis June 5 1863. Transfered to Pt Lookout Feb 9 1864 then to Ft Delaware June 23 1864. Sent to Charleston with the 600 Aug 20 1864 then to Ft Pulaski Oct 21 1864. On roll at Pulaski Dec 24 1864. Arrived at Ft Delaware March 12 1865 and took the oath June 12 1865.
                              Resident of Columbia, Henry Co Al until his death Oct 19 1912. He's buried at Hebron Baptist Church in Henry Co.
                              Kevin Barnes

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
                                Anyone have a copy of The Biographical Roster of the Immortal 600 that would be willing to look up a couple things for me? I've got a copy of Immortal Captives and would be willing to look up a couple things in reply.
                                I'll look it up for you, Matt. What do you need?
                                Kevin Barnes

Comment

Working...
                                X