Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Immortal 600 Fort Pulaski, GA March 2-4, 2007

Originally posted by Matt Woodburn View Post
    Great link to the Roster of the Immortal 600: http://www.dixieoutfitters.com/heritage/cw87.shtml
    Wow, thank you! That's got a new place for Fitz's capture: Black Water, Virginia, and a new year, 1862, though I really think 1863 is the right year. Hadn't seen that before.

I'm guessing they mean the Blackwater river near Petersburg, rather than the town of Blackwater in the western end of the state. If so, and it's August 22, 1863, that opens up several possibilities, since I believe the Union lines would be right around there.

1) Since he was living in Petersburg, he might have been serving in an unknown homeguard, and though I can't find any record of a skirmish on that date, he might have been captured in some very minor action.

2) Or, he was a civilian living in Petersburg, but still had friends in Norfolk. He might have travelled there to visit, and somehow messed up getting a pass through the Union lines where he crossed the Blackwater, couldn't give a straight story, and wound up in the prison system.

3) Or, it also doesn't do much to blow my previous theory, at http://cw186165.homestead.com/fitznarrative.html . If I'm picturing this right, if you're in Petersburg and want to walk into the Union lines at the closest point to get yourself deliberately captured in August of 1863, geographically where it's going to happen is probably along the Blackwater River.

That's based on some very quick research, but if anyone has more information on skirmishes and/or the location of the Union lines around the Blackwater River (or any "Black Water, Va.") on Aug. 22, 1862 or 1863, let me know!

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Last edited by Hank Trent; 11-17-2006, 07:58 PM.
    Hank Trent

Comment

I would like to portray Thomas E. Bradley, 23rd Tennessee.
      Andy Ackeret
      A/C Staff
      Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
        Robert,
        I would highly suggest purchasing the book and doing a little bit more research on your own. For an event of this caliber you're going to need to crack the books, the CS prisoner impressions are highly detailed and researched.
        Amazon still had a couple copies of the Joslyn books available, and while I had a copy of Immortal Captives stashed away, I was able to snag a copy of the Biographical Roster. Anxiously awaiting this one, after reviewing the on-line roster, it appears that we may have a few of the Immortals resting here in the Little Rock area...

For either side you play, whether it's the prisoners or the boys from the 157th, this is definitely a high-prep event in terms of background research.

But it's well worth the effort.
        Tom Ezell

Comment

More fun reading on the Immortal 600.

http://members.cox.net/rb2307/content/PRISON_LIFE.htm
          Matt Woodburn
          Retired Big Bug
          WIG/GHTI
          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

I remember someone was looking for information out of the book: The Biographical Roster of the Immortal 600. If anyone is still looking then shoot me an e-mail and I'll try to help you.

I picked up the book, it was sealed, and I was a bit disappointed on how little there is about each person. Only a paragrah each.

If you want to know about anyone in particular, let me know.

Wayne Nelson
            nelson_wayne@hotmail.com
            Wayne Nelson

Comment

Gentlemen,

Miss Liz and I will be portraying laundresses at the fort. So far, research has provided nothing. I will be contacting the fort to see if they have any information.

If anyone comes across references to laundresses at the fort, please post the source.

Many thanks!
              Carrie Craddock

Comment

I'm sending in my registration as Confederate captive, I hope it's not too late. I did it the last time and I have to say it is one of my fondest memories. Happy holidays to everyone and see you in the new year!!

Thanks,
                Cameron Lippard
                Iron Grays
                Lazarus Battery
                18th Indiana Light Artillery
                Palmetto Light Artillery

Comment

Another good book relating to the Immortal 600 is "A Fort Delaware Journal." Its the diary of a Federal Heavy Artillery private who was detailed to guard the 600 on their journy from Ft. Delaware to Charleston. His account of the trip is very interesting as off the coast of the carolinas they lost their boiler and started drifting within range of rebel batteries. He said the rebel officers on board were making deals with them because they had been treated fairly. The dairy is great to read because of little personal details like that.

Peter Morrill
                  Phoenix Iron Pards

Comment

I have not seen this put up yet for research material but there is a journal written by Confederate Pastor Isaac W. K. Handy entitled:

"Imprisoned for Conscience Sake; Confederate Pastor, Isaac W.K. Handy", Fifteen months, At Fort Deleware A Journal of Current Events.

This is a new reprint of his journal published in 1874. Handy was from Augusta County, Virginia.The book is available from Sprinkle Publications, Harrisonburg, Virginia.

He has 660 pages of great information that would be very good material for anyone to learn from. There is also a detailed list (which I'm sure has been reproduced elsewhere) of the IM 600 officers and their information (regt, date of capture and location, and whether they were hospitalized or died in captivity). Being a pastor I'm sure he knew the men he was imprisoned with very well. I just started reading it so it will be interesting to see things from his perspective.

Cheers!
                    Cheers,
                    [COLOR=Red]Kirby Smith[/COLOR]

Loblolly Mess

Too many ancestors who served and events on the schedule to post here...

Comment

Stumbled on this while looking up more information on the fort. I fancy not everyone believes in this sort of stuff but it will make my late night guard duty a little more interesting.

Today many people believe Fort Pulaski is haunted. Visitors and employees experience the usual cold spots and strange sounds. One of the most well known ghost sitings occurred while the movie Glory was being filmed in Savannah. Some of the Civil War reenactors visited Fort Pulaski during a break. While they were walking around, a young man in a Confederate lieutenant's uniform walked up to them. This young man began to yell at them for not saluting him, and then he ordered them to get into formation because the Yankee's were planning to attack. The reenactors didn't think he was serious, but decided to play along. They turned away from him, and when they turned back a few seconds later he had disappeared. There was no place close for him to run and hide...they couldn't explain his disappearance!

For what it's worth....

Cheers,
                      Andrew Martin
                      GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
                      150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
                      200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
                      150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMartin View Post
                        Stumbled on this while looking up more information on the fort. I fancy not everyone believes in this sort of stuff but it will make my late night guard duty a little more interesting.
                        Andrew,

I'm working on my mournful, ghostly screeching especially for you. I'm also working on perfecting the "hacking cough," and the "screaming nightmare involving the attack on Mission Ridge" for the late-night amusement of my case-mates (a horrible pun, I know.) :wink_smil
                        Yours, &c
                        Adam Clark
                        -Pumpkin Patch Mess

"I really feel that we've stepped into our ancestor's shoes, but... those shoes suck."
                        Connor Clune

Comment

Hey Guys,

SRB here, I was wondering if there is still room for other living historians to sign up and if so I was thinking of coming and portraying 2nd Lt. Richard Harvey of H Co., Hardwick Mounted Rifles, 7th Georgia Cavalry he was one of the officers over my ancestor. Does anyone have an age for him or a listing of the Georgia officers in the Immortal 600? I have checked numerous on-line sources but, to no avail as of yet.

Any and all information will be GREATLY appreciated....

Thank You,
                          Savannah Republican Blues
                          [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/30th_Inf_Sniper/1stGeo.jpg[/IMG]
                          James F. Dunigan III
                          1st Company, Co. "C" 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
                          "Savannah Republican Blues"[/center]

Comment

Originally posted by Savannah Republican Blues View Post
                            Does anyone have an age for him or a listing of the Georgia officers in the Immortal 600? I have checked numerous on-line sources but, to no avail as of yet. Any and all information will be GREATLY appreciated....
                            Well, I found this link:

Here is his bio from the same web page:

I wasn't able to track down his age, but hopefully, that will steer you in the right direction.
                            ERIC TIPTON
                            Former AC Owner

Comment

Thanks Eric,

I actually found this guy on that site. So, I've seen that particular set of information on him but, I found another site at www.immortal600.org it supposedly has a complete listing of all the captives of the Immortal 600 but, it won't load for some reason? :confused_

Anyone else had any luck with this website???

Thanks again Eric I really appreciate the help....

Regards,
                              Savannah Republican Blues
                              [center][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/30th_Inf_Sniper/1stGeo.jpg[/IMG]
                              James F. Dunigan III
                              1st Company, Co. "C" 1st Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment
                              "Savannah Republican Blues"[/center]

Comment

According to the biographical roster of the Immortal 600 Richard Harvey was born March 6, 1835. There is more info, a short chapter on him. If you need it send me an e-mail.

Wayne Nelson

nelson_wayne@hotmail.com
                                Wayne Nelson

Comment

Working...
                                X