89th Illinois Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89th Illinois Uniform

Here is an image of William B. Holden from Co. I that Brett Keen found. He joined on August 25, 1862 and was killed at Stones River. I believe this image should be the general basis for our uniforms, for all companies.

I am going in search of 89th Illinois files at the Chicago History Museum and the Chicago National Archives as well, so will give periodic updates.

Just in passing, if you have a state jacket instead of a sack coat, at this point in the war it is my opinion that that would be more acceptable than a sack coat, if you do not own a frock coat. Of course, this is up to the event organizers and regimental staff to decide, not me.
    Last edited by theknapsack; 08-16-2007, 09:12 PM.
    I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
    Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
    Hard Head Mess
    Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Re: 89th Illinois Uniform

Also, upon review of Arming the Suckers by Ken Baumann, there is (as the image would suggest) a large prevalence of 1861 Springfields, and a small minority of p1853 Enfields. In this sense it would be most prudent to bring a 61 if you have one, or a p53 if you don't have a 61, or a 55, or a 42.

Oh, and remember to shout CLEAR THE TRACK! That's our battle cry/regimental saying.
    I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
    Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
    Hard Head Mess
    Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by theknapsack View Post
      Here is an image of William B. Holden from Co. I that Brett Keen found. He joined on August 25, 1862 and was killed at Stones River. I believe this image should be the general basis for our uniforms, for all companies.

I am going in search of 89th Illinois files at the Chicago History Museum and the Chicago National Archives as well, so will give periodic updates.

Just in passing, if you have a state jacket instead of a sack coat, at this point in the war it is my opinion that that would be more acceptable than a sack coat, if you do not own a frock coat. Of course, this is up to the event organizers and regimental staff to decide, not me.
      Why is a forage cap/sack coat listed #1 versus a Hardee Hat/frock coat #2 in the Infantry guidelines? Thanks for answering!
      RJ Samp
      (Mr. Robert James Samp, Junior)
      Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

RJ,
        Day late and a dollar short on this conversation. Are you coming to the event?
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Really RJ, this photo came up months ago and has already impacted what most Federals will be wearing. Try to keep up with the ongoing research.

Which company will you be serving with? You might want to check with the command staff for the refined guidelines.
          Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
          1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
          Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Originally posted by AZReenactor View Post
            Really RJ, this photo came up months ago and has already impacted what most Federals will be wearing. Try to keep up with the ongoing research.

Which company will you be serving with? You might want to check with the command staff for the refined guidelines.
            Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
            RJ,
            Day late and a dollar short on this conversation. Are you coming to the event?
            Checked with Terry Sorchy as to what to wear, then noticed that the wrong information was posted on the website. Or that the website hadn't been updated with the refined guidelines. It should be, that's all I was trying to say.

Will be portraying Stephen Hiller, Company E, who was the 89th IL "Primary" Bugler. He was a machinist at a woodworking factory about 9 miles from where I live today. Parents were from and Stephen born in Wurtemberg....lived in Aurora, Kane County, Illinois. I'll be driving past his homesite this weekend, and potentially visit his grave marker.... I had so much fun at Outpost 2000 couldn't miss this one.
            Last edited by RJSamp; 10-03-2007, 02:46 PM.
            RJ Samp
            Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

"Will be portraying Stephen Hiller, Company E, who was the 89th IL "Primary" Bugler. He was a machinist at a woodworking factory about 9 miles from where I live today. Parents were from and Stephen born in Wurtemberg....lived in Aurora, Kane County, Illinois. I'll be driving past his homesite this weekend, and potentially visit his grave marker.... I had so much fun at Outpost 2000 couldn't miss this one. "

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! The Feds need a good bugler! :)
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! The Feds need a good bugler! :)
                Thanks Herb (although I did hear that Matt Grub would be another Fed Bugler and I'm trying to get Pete Peterson to come over with Coley and the Critters.....both of them are better than 'good' buglers)!
                RJ Samp
                Bugle, Bugle, Bugle

Comment

Matt Grubb (Lt. Col. USAFR) has been activated by the Air Force until after the Holidays. He won't be coming to Outpost.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Andrew Jerram

Comment

Working...
                  X