Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Confederate tidbits

All,

I have been doing some reading here and there for Art concerning the 20th Tennessee Regiment and I wanted to post some general information for the folks that will be in the three companies. As it has been stated here the men of the 20th had seen their share of fighting after the formation of the regiment in the summer of 1861. These men had seen combat at Fishing Creek (Mill Springs), Shiloh, Baton Rouge. Before the battle of Stones River (hey hey the period we are portraying) the 20th had been detailed with the rest of General John Breckenridge’s division to guard the approach to Murfreesboro and south central Tennessee along the main rail line leading from Chattanooga to Nashville.

So with all that being said I’d like to post some information concerning first Company F of the 20th Tennessee.

Company F of the 20th Tennessee Infantry was raised in the northeast corner of Sumner County. At the time this area was in the Fifteenth Civil District that encompassed some of Macon County as well to the east. Sumner County borders Kentucky to the north so as noted in the regimental history the county was in Federal hands for much of the war so recruiting virtually did not happen.

The Sumner County, TN roots website: http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnsumner/index.html

The area was known as the “Big Woods” of Sumner County. Westmorland was the only town of distinction in the area of that time. The Gallatin and Scottsville RR ran through the area as well.

The company was accepted into Confederate State’s service on June 1, 1861 and went to the Camp Trousdale for its camp of instruction which was located next to the L & N Railroad near the Kentucky border. When the company was formed it only had 85 men on the roll.

Source: “History of the 20th Tennessee Regiment Volunteer Infantry” by W.J. McMurray (a veteran of the unit) originally in 1904, but reproduced by the Higginson Book Company 148 Washington Street Salem.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: Some Confederate tidbits

Now for Company A..........

Company A, 20th Tennessee. “The Hickory Guards”

Company A was formed from men living in and around Nashville. Most were already mature men at the beginning of the war. The company was mustered in on May 15, 1861. The men caught onto to drill and military life so much that they were designated Company A, the head company of the regiment. Also the unit had a reputation for drinking a lot, so the men and officers clashed sometimes. But it was not at the unit’s detriment.

Captain W.L. Foster was the company’s first commander but resigned in winter of 1861. Bailey Peyton succeeded him as commander. The unit was ordered to Knoxville in the fall of 61 and fought at Mill Springs in early 1862. Peyton was killed there and Lt. Albert Roberts gained command. He was promoted captain shortly afterwards and he commanded the company at Shiloh. In May of 1862 while in Corinth, the men of Company A elected W.G. Ewin as the commander of the company. He was popular with the men and led the company at the Battles of Baton Rouge, Murfreesboro, Hoovers Gap, Chickamauga, Chattanooga, and into the Atlanta Campaign. Company A was one of the two primary skirmish companies in the unit and they figured very prominently in many of actions.

Davidson County info: http://www.rootsweb.com/~tndavids/nashgene.htm
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

And finally Company D

Company D, 20th Tennessee Inf. Reg. “The Webb Guard”

The company was raised in eastern Williamson County. The towns/villages located there were College Grove, Bethesda, Triune, and Peytonsville. These men were near their own homes when General Breckenridge’s division was posted in middle Tennessee. The company was formed in early 1861 and had a lot of college boys enlisting with them. Alexander Winn, the boy’s professor also joined. The Company’s name was the “Webb Guard.”

The men were sent to Camp Trousdale to the camp of instruction. Sgt Smithson, who has been promoted to 1rst Lieutenant after the re election in the summer of 1862, commanded the company until Chickamauga were he was severely wounded in the knee. They fought at Mill Springs (Fishing Creek), Shiloh, the Siege of Corinth, the actions with Breckenridge around Mississippi, Baton Rouge, and Murfreesboro. Smithson had been in command of the company since July 1rst of 1862. The company had a good record and they liked the Captain. Of course they shared in the hardships that the AOT had to face.

Smithson’s first name was Patrick…And Landrum’s first name is Patrick…. Conspiracies commence.

Williamson County info: http://www.tngenweb.org/williamson/
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Herb, that is some good information. Keep it coming. Time to get those registrations in.
        [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
        [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
        [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Well, I'm real glad to see that Co A included a passel of "mature" men, since the two of us coming up from San Antone who requested Co A are both well within the parameters of "mature" men. Looking forward to the event.

Phil McBride
          The Alamo Rifles
          Phil McBride
          Author:
          Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
          Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
          Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
          Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
          Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
          Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

Smithson’s first name was Patrick…And Landrum’s first name is Patrick…. Conspiracies commence.
            There was also a James M. Coates (wrong spelling) in Co. F who deserted after Murfreesboro and later enlisted in the 7th TN Cav.

It also looks like there was a prisoner exchange on 25 August (hey my birthday) 1862 and the regiment had several men return to duty.

Oh, and there is an original 1904 copy of the history of the regiment on sale on Ebay for $300.
            Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

Jason,

The Coates, Coats, Kortez (which ever version is used) family are known for quick and swift running.

And I think the $40 spent on reprint of the regimental history is good enough for me. $300 is steep.... On a historiography aspect the regimental history has that great turn of the 20th Century "Lost Cause" flavor to it, but it does not entirely take away from the book itself. The book is divided into a general US history leading up to the war, the individual company histories, the history of the regiment, biographies of the staff and line officers, and some appendices dealing with Civil War culture. All in all it is a very interesting read on what could have been a bland regimental history.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

"Company A was formed from men living in and around Nashville. Most were already mature men at the beginning of the war. The company was mustered in on May 15, 1861. The men caught onto to drill and military life so much that they were designated Company A, the head company of the regiment. Also the unit had a reputation for drinking a lot, so the men and officers clashed sometimes. But it was not at the unit’s detriment."

Just wondering who's bringin the drank!! Corn Beer, ginger beer, lemonade
                anyone?

As Pat Craddock says, "Aut Bibat Aut Abeat"

Since it was "not at the unit’s detriment" I thought it would be worth mentioning.
                Greg S Barnett
                Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Sounds life I need to go visit Co. A!

And yes, Mr. Barnett "Aut Bibat Aut Abeat!"
                  PATRICK CRADDOCK
                  Prometheus No. 851
                  Franklin, Tennessee
                  Widows' Sons Mess
                  www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

It looks as if, by registration, that Co A could use a few more mature men of the area. I am sure that many advantages could be had from being in Co A. I did also see Mr Sorchy reading the post. Too bad he is the Fed Commander!!
                    Cheers and See Ya'll soon
                    Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

The stars and planets had to be aligned when they assigned Company A to Tripp and his band of merry men for Outpost. I don't think Divine Providence has much to do with it.

I hope everyone who has signed up for the Confederate side has gotten a chance to read through the information the links posted. As stated in the regimental history some of the men were posted almost in their back yards when Breckenridge's division was assigned to patrol the area.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Got my registration sent in this week for Captain Corbins company. Looking forward to this event.

Tony Patton
                        Blue Ridge Mess
                        Tony Patton

Comment

Originally posted by gsbpvt View Post

"Company A was formed from men living in and around Nashville. Most were already mature men at the beginning of the war. The company was mustered in on May 15, 1861. The men caught onto to drill and military life so much that they were designated Company A, the head company of the regiment. Also the unit had a reputation for drinking a lot, so the men and officers clashed sometimes. But it was not at the unit’s detriment."

Just wondering who's bringin the drank!! Corn Beer, ginger beer, lemonade
                          anyone?

As Pat Craddock says, "Aut Bibat Aut Abeat"

Since it was "not at the unit’s detriment" I thought it would be worth mentioning.

Greg, I like yer' thankin'. I hear you may be working on some spirits yourself ? Matter of fact I just recieved a fews jars of Tennessee Apple Pie from your way.
                          Three Cheers for Co. A ( hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hippp hipppp hooooo--rrraa---yyyy) :tounge_sm Just kiddin' captain,
                          Eric N. Harley-Brown
                          Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Eric,
                            I have been working on a few things. We will see how it works in with an accurate and authentic representation of the "Hickory Guards".

"Aut Bibat Aut Abeat!"

Cheers
                            Greg S Barnett

New Knoxville Mess
                            ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

Working...
                            X