Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outpost Reality Check

Guys,
    While the chatter goes on about which company to go in, which side to go on, or what coat to wear I want to remind everyone of what this event should be to a lot more people. The land where many of us fought the Saturday morning battle at Franklin in 04 is now dozed and 2 structures (a Target and another large store) now sit where many of us fought and slept the Friday night before. This is our last chance to enjoy the land that surrounds Rippavilla, where the men marched and fought in 1864. This October many of us will move through the woods for the last time. Get off your butts, get registered and get ready for a great weekend,

Pat Landrum
    CO 20th Tennessee Co D for Outpost 2007
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Re: Outpost Reality Check

That just makes me sick to think about it. What a beautiful area that is.

We can't do much to save it but we can enjoy the place one last time. Last chance boys - don't let it pass you by!
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

I concur! Lets go boys step up and lets see you there.
      Terry Sorchy

Comment

You're darn right.
        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
        Hard Head Mess
        Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Well said Patrick!

I now have to go back to working on my frock. Only three more button holes to go.

Mike

Semper Fidelis,
          Mike Pretus
          16th LA Inf

Comment

Worst case of Poison Ivy ever was picked up on that field and one of the most poignant moments of LH I can remember - a full on first person funeral of a comrade. That is likely a parking lot now, or maybe the media aisle in Target. The fog that morning was something. Marching with a full brigade in line of battle over the ridge at sunset the night before through the soy bean field (sorry Mr Farmer) was another memory that will last forever.

More importantly the real troops camped, marched and fought over the area as well.

Gang, this is the last chance this year to do it right with all your comrades. No way we should not have at least 200 per side based on the theme, central location, weather and folks involved...and with ATB being postponed, a chance to head west for a good time (or way east for me!) and not waste that kitchen pass. Folks are coming from all over the country, as usual.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

As Doug said, there really is'nt a more centrally located place to put on an event of this caliber in the country. There are no other events around that time. To be the last uniformed men to do the real soldiers memory honor is an honor in itself.
              Cheers
              Terry Sorchy

Comment

Here is a picture from the site from the Franklin event.

Jim Butler
                Attached Files
                Jim Butler

Comment

Check these stats about Spring Hill from The Tennessean.com

From the 09/16/07 article "Travel to scenic Spring Hill for Civil War history, corn maze" By TRACY PULLEY, For The Tennessean

Spring Hill is, to put it mildly, a growing community. In 2000, there were 7,715 residents. This year, a special census counted an impressive new total: 23,462. A 300 percent population growth in seven years officially classifies Spring Hill as the 14th fastest-growing city in America.

Matthew Rector

Comment

Hi Pat,

Excellent Post and looking forward to seeing the site for one last time. Might want to save the Civil War Historian with the Franklin article from a couple years back.

Tom
                    Last edited by TKlas; 09-19-2007, 01:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
                    Tom Klas
                    Hard Head Mess
                    Citizens Guard

Comment

I am going to dress Warm.

Comment

Working...
                      X