Casualties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casualties

How are casualties going to be handled? Like BGR?

Just wondering,

Holler
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Re: Casualties

Hopefully not like at TAG!

Jim Butler
    Jim Butler

Comment

You mean where no one takes a hit? I am with you!

Holler
      Nathan Hellwig
      "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

I remember both sides being pretty guilty of that one. Contact the battalion commanders and I'm sure they'll have an answer for you or coming to a final conclusion.

What was the method at BGR?
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat, At BGR any casualty was treated as prisioners. Didn't matter if you were dead, wounded, ect, you would be treated as a prisoner.As the Confederates advanced they collected the "dead" and they were held prisoners. At the end of each day we exchanged prisioners, so even if you did take a hit, you werent out for the rest of the event. Seemed to work out quite well.
          Dan Chmelar
          Semper Fi
          -ONV
          -WIG
          -CIR!

Comment

Hey, just for the record, I took a hit at TAG.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

So did I. I took a hit before our company was captured by the Robo Cop company.

BGR it worked really well. I would also say at Rich Mountian it worked well too. I will talk to Terry and see what he has planned. Thanks!

I am really excited about this event. I like to go to the south in the fall. Hate to miss an Iowa game but this event will be worth it.

Holler
              Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Not that I have a say in how casualties are taken Outpost, but it seems that the BGR method seems fair.

Kevlar Reenactors are very over represented in the hobby in all tiers of reenacting. :wink_smil
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

At BGR the KIA and the wounded usually ended up with the other side then turned into prisoners and were exchanged at the end of the day. It worked wonderfully. If casualties are taken within your own lines you could have a waiting period to where you go to the rear and help out the skinners or surgeon or whatever, then straggle back after a couple of hours. If the companies take hits though they should be out and away from them for at least two hours to let the company feel how attrition works. IMHO. Attrition is a powerful thing. BGR.
                  Cheers
                  Terry Sorchy

Comment

Ok, I am going to ask a stupid question... How have you all decided your dies, injuried etc when. Or is it on the honor system.

Dan
                    Thanks
                    Daniel MacInnis
                    Adair Guards
                    Commonwealth Grays
                    [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
                    [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

One way that has been used before is to have a pre arranged number of cartidges marked with black for dead and red for wounded. Each man gets a cartridge that may be blank or have a colored mark on it. They are placed somewhere in the box of certain men. If the man happens to draw one of those rounds for his next shot, he goes down.

I like Terry's idea of having those within their own lines go to the rear. Here, they can be scratched off the list. If the selected person does not report then they have to present their unspent cartridge.
                      Heath Potter

South Union Guards
                      Star and Crescent Mess
                      A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
                      Franklin Preservation March
                      Backwater 1865

Comment

I am glad this is being addressed because last year at Prelude to Chickamauga at the height of the moment just when I felt we had stepped back in time the event was prematurely ended. Why? Because no one took any hits even though our company had been totally caught off guard while loading by Federal cavalry appearing out from behind the barn with Spencer Repeating Carbines. I wish we would had took some hits because to this day I wonder how that would have turned out in the end.

Joel Phillips

The Flatlander's Mess
                        Joel Phillips

Comment

That is why we as mature Living Historians must step up or step aside. We want Outpost to give the men there a feeling of how it might have been like. But it is up to each man to do his part in the event. From first peson, to material to casualties and captured. You will find it will be more challenging for the commanders, for the NCO's and for the men if we march like they marched, fought like they did, and acted as they would have. Its all part of a circle. We cannot be truly fullfilled in this hobby unless we experience the full circle of moment, knowledge, material, and immersion.
                          It is my wish that this event does not leave the participants with the feeling of one reenactor battalion bested the other. It is my wish that you feel the experience of two forces that stumbled by accident upon one another in 1862 would have felt like, acted and reacted in the period fashion.
                          May this event hold many cherished memories for all involved for it will be one that has endless possibilities.
                          Thank You
                          Terry Sorchy

Comment

I think this is a great discussion although ultimately it is the organizer's decision. I do feel the mode at BGR was very well thought out and very effective, given the longer length of the campaign event. Although, BGR was a longer more unique event where the contents of haversacks, cartridge boxes and knapsacks were wide open. It worked well there, with time for re-issue, but given the shorter timeframe here, that may discourage casualties. I do know at BGR as nco's/officers we did limit (and attempt to) oversee/advise just what could be seized on a case-by-case basis. Whether any final decision is handed down by the organizers, I would hope this is considered..... I think you will see much more realism when soldiers aren't concerned about having all their food and ammunition taken. Or, at least, it will be given gentlemenly consideration.

Is it more real to take all food and ammunition? yes. But, to encourage realism as far as casualties, ........you'll get more, knowing the guys who spent hours rolling rounds or buying them won't lose everything. It's a trade off of losing 6 to gain a half-dozen....

Still, I don't feel it helps the realism to mandate, necessarily, what all can be taken and what cannot. So, as nco's, I recommend keeping a loose eye on things to encourage others to take hits...........but not guarantee anything.

Of course no soldier ever wanted to go down, as we simulate in these situations, for the benefit of others and the realism of the event. But keep these thoughts in mind and you'll see more casualties.

Just two cents worth and something to consider.......
                            Jay Stevens
                            Tater Mess
                            Independent Volunteers
                            Iron Man Mess
                            Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                            Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                            Lost Tribes, October 2009
                            Bummers, November 2009
                            Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                            The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                            In the Van, August 2010
                            Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Sorchy View Post
                              That is why we as mature Living Historians must step up or step aside. We want Outpost to give the men there a feeling of how it might have been like. But it is up to each man to do his part in the event. From first peson, to material to casualties and captured. You will find it will be more challenging for the commanders, for the NCO's and for the men if we march like they marched, fought like they did, and acted as they would have. Its all part of a circle. We cannot be truly fullfilled in this hobby unless we experience the full circle of moment, knowledge, material, and immersion.
                              It is my wish that this event does not leave the participants with the feeling of one reenactor battalion bested the other. It is my wish that you feel the experience of two forces that stumbled by accident upon one another in 1862 would have felt like, acted and reacted in the period fashion.
                              May this event hold many cherished memories for all involved for it will be one that has endless possibilities.
                              Thank You
                              Terry Sorchy
                              AMEN boss! We are approaching this as a full on immersion event, the only way it makes any sense. If we maintain that, we won't see this one disolve into "capture the flag" in the woods.

I suggest we let the staffs work out the planning details (like casualties) and avoid discussions of pre-event stuff like the weather, etc. Instead let's concentrate on the details of our impressions to assist with the first person, tactics, uniforms and equipment, etc.

We started this year with a fantastic experience at BGR. Outpost can end the year on the same high note. It is up to all of us, not just the commanders and the organizers.

Soli Deo Gloria
                              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
                              X