Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a' comin...

To all that care...

I am working a plan for attending this and doing Federal. I am going to try to fly from New Haven, CT/Tweed to Nashville Airport.

I will have to plan for these factors:

-Musket locking case (this weekend will shop for this)
    -Ride from Nashville to Ripavilla
    -shower at end of event or creek I can bathe in (so's not to gross-out airplane travellers- lol)
    -Ride to Nashville from Ripavilla

I have already sent in my signup fee to Art.

That's where it sits. I gotta make the time fit from Thurs night till Monday 25 OCT-29 OCT.

Any help on the above would be great... PM me and I'll give you a call...

Time is getting short. Let me know if you can help ASAP...

Thanks- "Johnny-Come-Lately" Lloyd
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-11-2007, 05:55 PM.
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: I'm a' comin...

Johnny,

E-mail me your itinerary, and we'll see what we can work out about airport pickup, shower and return to airport, etc.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Hooah...!!

Comment

Great to hear that! The repeated messages have been painful! It's onlu 920 miles from Fort Snelling, Minnesota to Spring HIll Tennessee, so we're driving.

In recent years we have discovered that truck stops have showers. Back in the dim ages some of us would simply move into a men's room at a fast food resteraunt and sponge bathe from at least the waist up, much to the chagrin of Joe Tourist who stopped in to relieve himself. A bit of shampoo, a bar of soap, a small towel, and the ubiquitous blow drying machine in the men's room made us feel, and no doubt smell, more-or-less human for the flight or drive home.

Jim Moffet
        "Clear the Tracks"

Comment

Who needs a shower? I rode on a bus from Bangor, ME to Boston after finishing the Appalachian Trail (ten days or so since my last shower). Much more smelly than you will be. Full beard, dirty clothes, backpack, and a smell that you could catch from 20 feet away! Sure, I got some dirty looks, but hey...I just lived four months in the woods!
          [I][B]Brian T. McGarrahan[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.trampbrigade.com"]Tramp Brigade Mess[/URL]
          [URL="http://www.scarreenactors.com"]Southeast Coalition of Authentic Reenactors[/URL]
          [I][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]GAME 07[/B][/COLOR][/I]

[CENTER]"[B][SIZE="2"]I am just here to get my name in the program. Wildcats![/SIZE][/B]."[/CENTER]

Comment

Jonny,
            Let me know if you would rather borrow my 61 Springfield (I'm taking the 42) instead of dealing with the airport issues with your musket. I will be driving in from Quantico, Virginia on the Wed before Outpost in order to meet up with some pards and would have no problem bringing it for you.

V/R,
            Mike Pretus
            Fellow brother in arms.
            Last edited by LejeuneMarine; 10-12-2007, 12:32 AM.

Semper Fidelis,
            Mike Pretus
            16th LA Inf

Comment

There are a good number of us living here in middle tennessee that can offer rides to and from the airport. Just let us know flight info.
              Heath Potter

South Union Guards
              Star and Crescent Mess
              A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
              Franklin Preservation March
              Backwater 1865

Comment

I have tried finding a locking case for my musket. Most of the cases out there are too short. The only one that I was able to find was from England and cost a pretty penny. Borrowing a musket would probably be a safer bet. If anyone out there does have a line on locking cases that will fit a mausket, please pass on the info
                Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                49th Ohio
                Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Originally posted by btfire View Post
                  Who needs a shower? I rode on a bus from Bangor, ME to Boston after finishing the Appalachian Trail (ten days or so since my last shower). Much more smelly than you will be. Full beard, dirty clothes, backpack, and a smell that you could catch from 20 feet away! Sure, I got some dirty looks, but hey...I just lived four months in the woods!
                  Brian,

You are just a smelly person anyway. Being in the fresh air probably helped.

Claude Sinclair
                  Claude Sinclair
                  Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Fellow Pards,
                    I will provide the musket for Jonny. Can some of you gents bring a few extra packs of rounds and caps for him?

Regards,
                    Mike

Semper Fidelis,
                    Mike Pretus
                    16th LA Inf

Comment

Fellow funkhounds,

Part of the sweet afterglow of a weekend with the woolies is that gag-a-maggot boquet from you and your comrades in the vehicle during the return trip. After a while, the passengers no longer smell themselves, and some poor gal at a road food drive-thru gets the full blast of the funk when the window is rolled down to receive those wonderful double patties of ground bovine with cheese, fries in a box the size of Rhode Island, and a cold drink in a cup not much smaller than a drywall compound bucket. Mmmm, mmmmm.....by the way, a feller can get a dandy shower at most truck stops for a few bucks. When the automobile upholstery starts dissolving, then you know it's time to stop and scrape off a few layers of weekend warrior patina.

People keep saying to check Cabela's for a musket length gun case.
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by thad gallagher View Post
                        I have tried finding a locking case for my musket. Most of the cases out there are too short. The only one that I was able to find was from England and cost a pretty penny. Borrowing a musket would probably be a safer bet. If anyone out there does have a line on locking cases that will fit a mausket, please pass on the info
                        Try Cabela's.... They are awful proud of the case but is big enough to carry A 1842 with ease
                        Warren Hook
                        First Sibley Mess
                        New Madrid Guards
                        WIG

"...And to Missouri we
                        Extend both heart and hand
                        And welcome her a sister
                        Of our Confederate band
                        Tho surrounded by oppression
                        No one dare deter
                        Her adding to our Bonnie Blue Flag
                        Her bright and twelfth star! "

Lyrics, Bonnie Blue Flag, by Harry McCarthy, 1861.

Comment

You can find several makers of cases that are 53" in length. With the barrel dismounted, an Enfield or Springfield will fit in one of these sized cases. I have seen cases this length start as low as 39.99.

If you are traveling with an 1842, or a model 1816/22, you'll need a longer case, as the stock on these particular weapons a re a bit longer and even with the barrel dismounted, will not fit into a 53" long case.
                          Brian Hicks
                          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I bought one at Bass Pro Shop for BGR that was plastic and cost $23.00. It is 52" and requires taking the barrel off the rifle and laying the components at an angle. Simply reassaemble in the parking lot. Not a big deal!
                            David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                            MLK Mess
                            Black Hat Boys
                            WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info on the cases. It will definately help in the future.
                              Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                              49th Ohio
                              Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Working...
                              X