When's It Get Light and Dark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When's It Get Light and Dark?

I compiled information on sunrise/sunset times from the US Naval Observatory’s very useful website, and the data is attached a MS Word file. Want to know just what the heck “sunrise/sunset” and “civil twilight” really means? See the definitions below the table in the file, where I added two parenthetical statements to put what these mean into “reenactor terms”. The main part of the definitions themselves are copied from the USNO website.

Typically, knowing when it gets light out and when it really gets dark is useful info at an event. :) For example, it appears we'll be cookin' bacon in the dark... (play ominous music here).
    Attached Files

Re: When's It Get Light and Dark?

Kevin:

What about that pesky "standard time". Payne's Sunday morning was sure exciting. OPIII happens to be the same weekend.

Have fun!
    Last edited by ley74; 10-21-2007, 05:07 PM.
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

You could add Nautical Twilight and Astrological Twlight to the mix and really confuse 'em.

If I have to strike a match to read my pocketwatch, it's "dark". Otherwise, it's "light".
      [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

I had planned to outfit Landrum's compnay with NVG's to give us the edge, but I am yet to be able to mount my ANVS-9's to my civilian hat with any success, and I image musket fire at night will cause them to bloom and de-gain a bit.

At least it looks like it will be very high light for much of both nights, so it won't be ominously dark excpet right after sunset before the moon rises... then it will be just sort'a dark...

We can really lose them if you want to bring up EENT, BMNT, lux levels and albedo.
        Last edited by buckandball; 10-21-2007, 08:38 PM.
        Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Comment

Originally posted by ley74 View Post
          What about that pesky "standard time".
          Ley,

It's my understanding Pat called George a while back, and the latter moved the "fall back" weekend to the first weekend of November 2008 by executive order. It's called clout. :D
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Gets light about 6:45am local time and gets dark about 6:00pm local time. I determine this by looking out my window. :D
            Matt Woodburn
            Retired Big Bug
            WIG/GHTI
            Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
            "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Reality, what a concept.
              Burt Page
              Salt River Rifles/75th OVI

Comment

Charles:

Must be the rat ration. Matt does have clout.

Thanks for helping me stay on time for Mass. Remember the '70s? It stayed on DST for a couple of years.
                Ley Watson
                POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Ley:

On a side note, I think you just provided me with my new favorite tag-line. :D
                  ERIC TIPTON
                  Former AC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by ley74 View Post
                    Remember the '70s? It stayed on DST for a couple of years.
                    Yep, I remember going to work at 8 A.M. and it was still dark. We all called it "Nixon's Revenge".
                    [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X